Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2021, 11:17 AM

37,127 posts, read 39,349,217 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gantz View Post
It would be nice to have someone who has interest in infrastructure and actually travelled internationally to see and experience what it is supposed to be like.
Yea, and I think that was partly key in why Andy Byford with even the somewhat limited powers and short tenure he had was measurably effective whereas his replacement was from Charleston, West Virginia and then DC before here, neither of which I think has truly great infrastructure on even a per capita / metropolitan size basis.

This topic isn't MTA, but I'll mention that I've met several people who worked for MTA in varying capacities and there are some people who appear to me to be really dedicated and knowledgeable among the rank and file staff. The political appointees though seems like a real crapshoot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2021, 11:35 AM

2,948 posts, read 1,257,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deconstructer View Post
for the last 400 years in nyc, when all appointments have been male, no one protested en masse or called all of the appointees incompetents

for the last 400 years, when all appointments were white, no one protested en masse or called all of the appointees incompetents

now that people of color and women are being appointed to positions, all of a sudden, their "credentials" are questioned and accusations of incompetence are being flung at the wall like manure.

where were all of the questioning of credentials and competence when cabinets and appointees were mostly non-minority? hmmmm?
Who mentioned anything about minorities?

Appointment were mostly .men before because up until the 1960s , most women didn't work. When the pool.of candidates was 99% men, you get mostly men.

You don't think it's odd that the dude appoints 5 deputy mayors and all 5 are woman?

Old 12-21-2021, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Yea, and I think that was partly key in why Andy Byford with even the somewhat limited powers and short tenure he had was measurably effective whereas his replacement was from Charleston, West Virginia and then DC before here, neither of which I think has truly great infrastructure on even a per capita / metropolitan size basis.

This topic isn't MTA, but I'll mention that I've met several people who worked for MTA in varying capacities and there are some people who appear to me to be really dedicated and knowledgeable among the rank and file staff. The political appointees though seems like a real crapshoot.
His replacement was an incompetent political hack. They're out into positions to provide political cover and report back to "HQ".

Old 12-21-2021, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by under a mountain View Post
I was, but you do you.
BDB is white and has been the most lambasted mayor in decades. He's a corrupt, lazy moron and he deserves it.

Old 12-21-2021, 11:53 AM

Quote:
It would be nice to have someone who has interest in infrastructure and actually travelled internationally to see and experience what it is supposed to be like.
That's not even necessary . The MTA needs a pure operator. The main problems currently with the MTA is waste, fraud, and corruption at all levels. You need someone to literally clean house but the problem is it's a multi term project and it's politically unpopular (backlash from unions, businesses, and constituents who benefit ). It won't get fixed until th NYC budget collapses. COVID was that opportunity but the Feds bailed us out.

Old 12-21-2021, 05:13 PM

169 posts, read 63,966 times
Quote:
Wait, do you think no one complained about NYC governance on this forum before Adams was elected?
Paging SeventhFloor to verify this!
never suggested this in the post you replied to, but no one called incompetence or raised suspicion because of their gender or color when the appointees were not women or minority.

Old 12-21-2021, 07:01 PM

31,897 posts, read 26,926,466 times
To be fair don't think Ydanis Rodriguez has held a private sector job. That or certainly nothing that pays well as city council or now commissioner. Where else is this eejit going to find someone that will pay him high five or even low six figures, plus bennies?

YR will ride out this gig for four or eight years, then look for some office to run for or another political post.

Like I said, we're never going to get rid of this guy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City