Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2021, 02:24 PM

31,904 posts, read 26,954,113 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Retired View Post
This has happened to someone I know.
They had to pay back every penny of rent.

You are lucky that this absolves you since
you have not taken any rent money from
them only a few dollars to help pay for
utilities.

This is what you get for being kind in helping out
someone out who had no place to go and begged
for you to take them in...........and who now who is
taking advantage of your good nature.

I wish you the best.
Contracts for illegal or illicit purposes are null and void. People can't have it two ways; collect rent on a space that is not legal housing, then try to get courts or law to enforce collection of said rent if tenant does not pay.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2021, 02:29 PM

2,948 posts, read 1,259,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
No offense intended, but if you've never dealt with the NYC rent laws, you have no idea. It is an unfathomable situation by any explanation of logic. You're basically turning over ownership to the renter, sometimes even generationally.
I was going to say. Even CA pails in comparison.

Old 12-28-2021, 02:37 PM

2,315 posts, read 1,150,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by camaro69 View Post
Go see an attorney.

This is the best advice. NYC housing and rental laws are convoluted and designed to be anti-owner. Good Luck.

Old 12-28-2021, 07:18 PM

2,330 posts, read 1,029,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Esacni View Post
I was going to say. Even CA pails in comparison.
https://la.curbed.com/2019/9/24/2086...-bill-governor

Ca enacted rent control in 2020.

Old 12-28-2021, 08:55 PM

1,731 posts, read 1,066,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dfc99 View Post
Less than 1/3 of NYC residents own their own home/condo/co-op - -

Boro | % Owner occupied
SI | 69.20%
QN | 45.29%
BK | 30.56%
MN | 23.96%
BX | 18.46%
NYC TOTAL | 32.75%
NYC EXCLUDING MANHATTAN TOTAL | 35.47%

Do you realize that other than gov't owned rentals that a high percentage are owned by investors?

Old 12-29-2021, 12:47 AM

1,952 posts, read 1,300,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
Contracts for illegal or illicit purposes are null and void. People can't have it two ways; collect rent on a space that is not legal housing, then try to get courts or law to enforce collection of said rent if tenant does not pay.

There is a reason the city looks the other way. Visit the housing section and see how many people are willing to give their left kidney to get into NYCHA (waiting years!) NYCHA that is failing crumbling and a disgusting mess. Not to mention those 5 thousand pages lottery thread.

NYC has no intentions or capability to provide affordable housing to meet the needs that exists.

If all landlords decided to stop renting basements and only rented to responsible tenant it would be a DISASTER. Homelessness would be through the roof. Housing would be twice the cost

Many should use basement apartment as a spring board to bettering themselves. Save money, go back to school, get a better paying job, move out of state ETC.

Old 12-29-2021, 02:24 AM

106,637 posts, read 108,790,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldKona View Post
I dunno. In 40 years of landlording I have had only one evicition and it was my fault for accommodating a friend of a friend. Still, It was easy peasy and I actually came out ahead financially but bruised on trust of people.

My properties are in so called "tenant friendly" states, CA and HI. To me "tenant friendly" just means that the crappy landlords are punished when caught. Here the landlord illegally rented and will suffer the consequences. Most horror tenant stories in San Francisco seem to be landlords that buy rent controlled properties and think they can game the system. Otherwise in my landlord circle it is just a business that you need to know tenants and landlord rights and there will be no problem.

If things werent bad enough they put additional laws in place recently

They stopped allowing landlords from getting more then a month security and first months rent , so now when a tenant lives off the lasts months rent and doesn’t pay it you have nothing .

No more being allowed to lower stabilized rents in bad times and then bringing them back up to where they were eventually .. the preferential rent level is the new base and all increases are only what is allowed regardless if rents were temporarily lowered .

Restrictions on what you can get for capital improvements in stabilized.

Notices of non renewal can be as long as 90 days in advance from landlords but tenants only have to give 30 days

Landlords held accountable for mitigating broken leases , at one time landlords had no duty to mitigate

Surrender and control laws take advantage of landlords who have no knowledge of these almost secret laws to get tenants out of leases penalty free

There were a lot more changes

https://www.venoproperties.com/blog/...on-Act-of-2019

Last edited by mathjak107; 12-29-2021 at 03:24 AM..

Old 12-29-2021, 02:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldKona View Post
Do you realize that other than gov't owned rentals that a high percentage are owned by investors?
If just what New York City housing holds in apartments in their housing projects was a city it would be bigger then boston or Seattle..

They house about 600,000 people in 179,000 apartments

Small investors have been getting fewer and fewer except for one and two family homes.

Only 230,00 rental apartments are held by private investors out of about 2 million so about 10%

So while in some shape or form investors do own most of the rentals here only 10% are what would be called private investors .

90% are owned by pension funds , reits , developers , investment banks , non profits , etc

https://www.multihousingnews.com/top...manhattan/?amp

Last edited by mathjak107; 12-29-2021 at 03:18 AM..

Old 12-29-2021, 03:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOVEROFNYC View Post
There is a reason the city looks the other way. Visit the housing section and see how many people are willing to give their left kidney to get into NYCHA (waiting years!) NYCHA that is failing crumbling and a disgusting mess. Not to mention those 5 thousand pages lottery thread.

NYC has no intentions or capability to provide affordable housing to meet the needs that exists.

If all landlords decided to stop renting basements and only rented to responsible tenant it would be a DISASTER. Homelessness would be through the roof. Housing would be twice the cost

Many should use basement apartment as a spring board to bettering themselves. Save money, go back to school, get a better paying job, move out of state ETC.
The nych waiting list has about 160,000 people on it …

I grew up in one ….it was a life long goal never to raise my own family in one

Old 12-29-2021, 07:14 AM

16,029 posts, read 6,838,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
Absolutely correct.
But is it considered a contract when you supply shelter for no other
reason than to help someone down on their luck?
No paper contract Signed?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City