Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2021, 06:12 PM

1,952 posts, read 1,300,098 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
It is, again constructive eviction is not only illegal in NYC/NYS, but you could be hit with legal proceedings and costs for tenant harassments. At end of day these eejits may end up owning your house after all that goes down....

I've told ya; drop a quarter to city (or get someone else to do it) filing complaint of people living in an illegal and unsafe basement apartment. HPD will send someone to inspect and that will start process going. Just be sure someone will be at premises to give inspector access. This includes over and above any objections from so called tenants. Eff em. When inspector shows up, you as property owner have legal cover to give access.

https://portal.311.nyc.gov/article/?kanumber=KA-02025

Yes, you may be hit with fines, but that's what your reward for letting no good deed go unpunished.

Have news for you, longer this drags out more you are going to be out of pocket. Laws are clear; you cannot collect rent for an illegal apartment, so the past 18 months of rent you thought were going to get (but didn't) in a way is a God send since you don't have to repay these people anything.
This is not constructive eviction. I know this for a fact. I won't go into how I know. But I know that this can be done.

If the landlord did not file to install a kitchen in the basement it should not have been there in the first place

Constructive eviction only occurs when the landlord removes legally required amenity in a legal apartment.

Illegal amenity in an illegal apartment all bets are off.

In any case, the first violation and notice to cure that the landlord will be receiving when DOB officials come in is to remove the kitchen and all illegal partition walls.

If there is an illegal bathroom, one can file to legalize the bathroom if the plumbing, venting and electrical was done correctly.

So the OP can remove the kitchen before DOB gets there because DOB WILL tell her to remove that kitchen immediately AND ISSUE a fine for it.

CALL DOB and get the apartment condemned. They will be out. Pay a contractor to restore the basement to non habitable condition ( no bedrooms or kitchens).

You are out 12 months of rent and will be out another 12 months plus the aggravation of seeing them. May as well cut your loss and incur the fine to get them out then cure the violation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2021, 08:25 PM

61 posts, read 33,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave 92 LSC View Post
Introduce rodents or carbon monoxide
those basement maggots wont mind rodents im sure... they will dind it a Good Appetizer. Bon Appetit!!

Old 12-27-2021, 01:19 PM

18,468 posts, read 31,627,689 times
why wont people ever realize that renting out illegal basements always turns into a nightmare??????

Old 12-27-2021, 02:08 PM
exm

3,720 posts, read 1,779,503 times
Be prepared to change the lock and/or install a deadbolt next time they leave the apartment. When they come back, tell them you will have their items outside in 1-2 days.

Old 12-27-2021, 07:22 PM

34 posts, read 50,880 times
Your hands are tied. I know a lady who rented out her basement and the tenant stopped paying. The tenant then took her to court and the lady I know lost the case and had to pay hotel fees for the tenant for 6 months or until she found an apartment. Nyc is definitely on favor for tenants. Maybe try to pay them to leave but courts won't be much help to you.

Old 12-27-2021, 08:38 PM

18,468 posts, read 31,627,689 times
there has to be an easier way to get the tenants out?

sure hope I didn't leave that electric heater on again......
especially so close to the drapes
next to all my paint chemicals

just sayin'

Old 12-27-2021, 08:44 PM

10,864 posts, read 6,472,539 times
are they immigrants?
how big is the family?
if he has not paid your rent,where does he get money to feed his family?
do they ever go out together?
Then you can change the lock,shut off utilities and do not allow them back,throw some of their stuff on the lawn.
get a dog !

Old 12-27-2021, 08:47 PM

10,864 posts, read 6,472,539 times
They probably have no place to go and no money to go anywhere,if you can find them someone or some org to help them,take the head of the household to learn more

Old 12-27-2021, 10:12 PM

262 posts, read 150,211 times
i'd rather put my money in the stock market than buy a rental property in NYC

Old 12-27-2021, 11:11 PM

2,330 posts, read 1,029,172 times
I'd only be a landlord in a red state.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City