Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2021, 03:15 AM

106,631 posts, read 108,773,903 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berniess View Post
i'd rather put my money in the stock market than buy a rental property in NYC
I wouldnt be a landlord here in New York State and especially nyc anymore ..the deck is stacked against you worse then ever .

That is what happens when a city is 2/3s renters
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2021, 04:17 AM
PVW

287 posts, read 164,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Berniess View Post
i'd rather put my money in the stock market than buy a rental property in NYC
And include real estate stock funds in your portfolio if you really want to be in that sector.

Old 12-28-2021, 04:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PVW View Post
And include real estate stock funds in your portfolio if you really want to be in that sector.
Not the same thing .

Reits are still stocks at heart and are effected by all the things stocks are .

While they may be a play in the real estate , unlike brick and mortar you own you are subject to beating earnings and revenue expectations, poor mgmt , poor use of money , markets ,etc .

I had owned a private reit not subject to beating earnings and even they ended up on a different course then real estate .

They specialized in motels and hotels ..when business fell off they borrowed money to prop up the dividends as well as used the money that was supposed to buy more real estate to help pay the dividend which served as smoke and mirrors to how they were doing .

Years later the private reit went public and sold for less then the buy in price to the private reit ….today it is still below that price years later despite the rise in real estate

Old 12-28-2021, 06:25 AM

18,468 posts, read 31,627,689 times
is electric and gas included in thier rent?

if so, id shut it off for a few days and go away on a mini vacation, do things to make thier lives miserable.
Im thinking the elec has to be included sinc eit is a basement.

there are things you can do to make them miserable, put your thinking cap on.'

Old 12-28-2021, 06:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler View Post
is electric and gas included in thier rent?

if so, id shut it off for a few days and go away on a mini vacation, do things to make thier lives miserable.
Im thinking the elec has to be included sinc eit is a basement.

there are things you can do to make them miserable, put your thinking cap on.'
The ole cement in the toilet…

Old 12-28-2021, 07:18 AM

23,177 posts, read 12,210,827 times
I see no solutions that will be effective, cheap, and legal. Pick your poison.

- You can try to strongarm them out and hope they leave quietly and don't have the smarts to battle you legally.

- You can bring it to the city and pay big fines or you can entice them with cash for keys. If the latter, get something in writing that they are voluntarily leaving.

You shouldn't have rented an illegal basement but I doubt this would have changed much. Even if it had been legal, these deadbeats were never going to pay and you would have been handcuffed by the eviction moratorium.

This should have been dealt with 18 months ago when first rent payment was one day late.

Old 12-28-2021, 08:39 AM

12,789 posts, read 8,286,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
I see no solutions that will be effective, cheap, and legal. Pick your poison.

- You can try to strongarm them out and hope they leave quietly and don't have the smarts to battle you legally.

- You can bring it to the city and pay big fines or you can entice them with cash for keys. If the latter, get something in writing that they are voluntarily leaving.

You shouldn't have rented an illegal basement but I doubt this would have changed much. Even if it had been legal, these deadbeats were never going to pay and you would have been handcuffed by the eviction moratorium.

This should have been dealt with 18 months ago when first rent payment was one day late.
No judge is going to evict a tenant in NYC for paying rent a few days late. The OP would've had to have sent a "Demand for Rent" notice to get the ball rolling and then they could start the petition for eviction if they didn't receive the monies by the date noted.

Old 12-28-2021, 09:13 AM

23,177 posts, read 12,210,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
No judge is going to evict a tenant in NYC for paying rent a few days late. The OP would've had to have sent a "Demand for Rent" notice to get the ball rolling and then they could start the petition for eviction if they didn't receive the monies by the date noted.

It was an illegal "apartment". I doubt there was a lease contract. At the beginning, it would have been easier to claim they were squatters or guests not tenants.

Taking action 18 months ago would have messaged the "tenants" that they weren't going to get away with it. Once they had gotten away with not paying rent for 6 months then they had zero concerns about consequences going forward. Taking action 18 months ago might also have massively reduced the "lost rent" and the potential fines that are coming his way.

Old 12-28-2021, 09:18 AM

12,789 posts, read 8,286,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
It was an illegal "apartment". I doubt there was a lease contract. At the beginning, it would have been easier to claim they were squatters or guests not tenants.

Taking action 18 months ago would have messaged the "tenants" that they weren't going to get away with it. Once they had gotten away with not paying rent for 6 months then they had zero concerns about consequences going forward. Taking action 18 months ago might also have massively reduced the "lost rent" and the potential fines that are coming his way.
Even so, in NYC, a person just has to live in a place for 30 days for that be considered their residence, lease or no lease. Only difference is they wouldn't have as much time to vacate since they don't have a lease, but the OP would still have to follow the regular procedures to get them out.

Old 12-28-2021, 09:34 AM

8,688 posts, read 11,074,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
I wouldnt be a landlord here in New York State and especially nyc anymore ..the deck is stacked against you worse then ever .

That is what happens when a city is 2/3s renters
and some people wonder why finding a rental can be so difficult.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City