Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-07-2022, 04:12 PM

2,450 posts, read 1,225,290 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forest_Hills_Daddy View Post
Yeah but being mayor blamed for a failed job market is certain doom.
Agreed, perhaps one term doom.

I think we may be able to add Gov of NY a political dead end too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2022, 04:50 PM

621 posts, read 241,438 times
Quote:
Where? Other banks, financial institutions, and even wall street firms have thousands of employees working from home. The bank where I work has been WFH 7-days a week since Christmas. And we lost one half of our department this year due to poaching. Work gets done, employees get paid.

Hot off the cesspool press of the NY Post...

https://nypost.com/2022/01/07/citi-w...covid-vaccine/

We talked about this the other day and your position was that the banking industry is moving forward with WFH. As I mentioned the TBTF (too big too fail) institutions see things very differently - they want their people back in the office. Adams is on the right side of the "get back in the office" debate.

Old 01-07-2022, 06:48 PM

3,351 posts, read 1,241,200 times
Quote:
Maybe when the situation is desperate, they will. The problem with Adams is that maybe he thought he could keep riding on the financial sector job market until he made the next move in his political career. He seems unprepared to deal with dramatic shifts in the job market. Strange because he announced his candidacy during the pandemic. He should have seen this coming.
Oh yea politicians always come through in the clutch

Old 01-07-2022, 07:08 PM

7,296 posts, read 11,871,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brownpine View Post

We talked about this the other day and your position was that the banking industry is moving forward with WFH. As I mentioned the TBTF (too big too fail) institutions see things very differently - they want their people back in the office. Adams is on the right side of the "get back in the office" debate.
Empty threats. Citi hasn't fired employees yet. I'll believe it when they actually start doing it.

Old 01-07-2022, 08:58 PM

2,948 posts, read 1,264,598 times
Quote:

First, Citi is a joke among the big banks.
Secondly, this is an HR move for woke points. If you read the article, you'd realize 90%+ of their employees are already complying. So they waited until 90%+ complied to announce this policy?
The ones who haven't complied yet most likely don't give a **** and are looking to move on anyway. Citi has nothing to lose at this point so they threw a bone to the woke crowd in NYC and Adams.

Old 01-07-2022, 10:43 PM

34,077 posts, read 17,119,181 times
Quote:
Empty threats. Citi hasn't fired employees yet. I'll believe it when they actually start doing it.
6 months later, Big Banks staff is largely home. Pretty much for why many are home-fear of employers in losing key staff.

It will never be 2019 again in NYC regarding having one million non residents spending money daily working in the city.

The city needs to downsize its government to overcome the massive loss of revenue and accept many restaurant and store jobs will disappear forever as a result.

Old 01-08-2022, 06:06 AM

7,296 posts, read 11,871,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
The city needs to downsize its government to overcome the massive loss of revenue and accept many restaurant and store jobs will disappear forever as a result.
Or it can work harder to attract new kinds of businesses where it still makes sense to have most employees onsite. It can build an economy around Cornell Tech like what Silicon Valley did with Stanford and U.C. Berkeley, or around its hospital systems like what MD Anderson did in Dallas. NYC is not helpless. Is Adams up to the task though? I'm not so sure. He did not campaign for the job with this in mind.

Old 01-08-2022, 09:05 AM

2,635 posts, read 1,231,986 times
Quote:
Or it can work harder to attract new kinds of businesses where it still makes sense to have most employees onsite. It can build an economy around Cornell Tech like what Silicon Valley did with Stanford and U.C. Berkeley, or around its hospital systems like what MD Anderson did in Dallas. NYC is not helpless. Is Adams up to the task though? I'm not so sure. He did not campaign for the job with this in mind.
He sure didn't inherit the NYC that Bloomberg left, that's for sure. Will be a tough climb up.

Old 01-08-2022, 04:25 PM

3,921 posts, read 9,135,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gx89 View Post
That's what we are doing and we are all motivated as hell to destroy the goals. My bonus is tied to profits. On avg each company we move to perm WFH is 12k extra in our pockets. Sales guy on my team has a sign in his home office 2022 goals. #1 bankrupt NYC office buildings #2 bankrupt all office buildings #3 make 7 figure bonus. #4 its about me #5 some one has to loose some one has to win, I will win. He is nuts but he closes allot of deals.
That's what I like to see!

Quote:
He seems unprepared to deal with dramatic shifts in the job market. Strange because he announced his candidacy during the pandemic. He should have seen this coming.
Agree 100%. Technology will keep on advancing and eventually those changes will happen whether people like it or not. Those who embrace them will thrive and those who don't will wither.

@Tencent and Dave 92 LSC, I agree with your posts as well.

You guys might be interested in these articles. Looks like the leadership in DC is getting with the program.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/dc-md...w-report-says/

https://www.washingtonpost.com/dc-md...rt-to-housing/

Old 01-08-2022, 07:51 PM

34,077 posts, read 17,119,181 times
Quote:

And Big Banks keep delaying, delaying, delaying come back. The reason is they fear losing valuable talent.

That is why there is one threat after another taken, w/o actual action.

Between the variant and crime, Adams will not win the battle to get NYC active with 2019 levels of commuters again. Ever.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City