Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-06-2022, 03:22 PM

7,296 posts, read 11,858,718 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tencent View Post
In other cities food truck laws are more sophisticated. So the small restaurants pivot. With WFH just go to neighborhoods. If there was a food truck that came to my neighborhood during lunch time once a week that was good, I would step outside to get it.

The problem is legislation and government overreach doesn't allow NY businesses to be competitive and adaptive to the environment.
Small businesses aren't the only workers affected by WFH. Thousands more of workers like office cleaners, security, maintenance, electrical, cafeteria staff, cab drivers, even municipal workers will lose their jobs. Retail establishments that once depended on foot traffic from salaried workers cannot make the same money pivoting to residential areas. The politicians will just have to work harder to attract new kinds of large employers to NYC.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2022, 03:26 PM

2,602 posts, read 1,205,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forest_Hills_Daddy View Post
The politicians will just have to work harder to attract new kinds of large employers to NYC.
Needing to rely on Politicians to work harder...

Yikes.

Old 01-06-2022, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2020's YouTube Vlog View Post
Needing to rely on Politicians to work harder...

Yikes.
They were able to lure Cornell Tech to NYC, and helped with the Columbia University expansion. The state government is also crucial in launching the JFK airport modernization. They can get good work done if they put their minds to it.

Old 01-06-2022, 03:41 PM

1,055 posts, read 546,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
Yeah, many employees are simply quitting if their bosses are not flexible and don't want any remote option. I would do the same thing. I've been remote now since the pandemic began and most of my work can be done anywhere in the world. Very few things need to be done in person. Conference calls, large meetings are all done via Zoom or Teams. There is absolutely no reason for many employees to come rushing back to the office. For starters, the MTA can't even run service, so how in the hell are we supposed to re-open when tons of bus and rail service is being cancelled on a daily basis? Then there is the ongoing homeless and crime problems in Midtown and elsewhere.
When people say this they forget that means that someone anywhere in the world can be hired to do it.

Old 01-06-2022, 03:53 PM

34,002 posts, read 17,035,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave 92 LSC View Post
Maybe they can mandate people go back to work and waste time on commute and $20 lunches.

Its like asking companies to go back to using fax instead of emails. Not happening. You closed down the city, people adopted and are better off for it.

Old 01-06-2022, 04:50 PM

621 posts, read 240,276 times
Quote:
Read up on the Great Resignation. This is especially true with NYC financial sector workers.
The great resignation is a farce. This movement always seemed to me to be a bunch of yuppies and millennials who don't want to work. Certainly most of these people have the means to just quit - either through trust funds, mommy/daddy. etc. I'm not clearly following your point. But can we at least agree, on a basic level, that people need to work to live?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2020's YouTube Vlog View Post
19th and 20th century cities cannot survive WFH. Cities that embrace modernity will thrive with it.

Precisely!

Old 01-06-2022, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brownpine View Post
[color=Navy]The great resignation is a farce. This movement always seemed to me to be a bunch of yuppies and millennials who don't want to work. Certainly most of these people have the means to just quit - either through trust funds, mommy/daddy. etc. I'm not clearly following your point. But can we at least agree, on a basic level, that people need to work to live?
Uhm...But they are working - from home. And there are employers willing to pay for work done from home.

Old 01-06-2022, 05:09 PM

621 posts, read 240,276 times
Quote:
Uhm...But they are working - from home. And there are employers willing to pay for work done from home.

Let me ask you this - and this is Adams' point - if people work from home, who supports the small businesses, the hotels, restaurants, taxis, and other jobs where you need people on-site? Easy answer - nobody...and then those businesses go under. Proof? Look at any major city's business district and you will see lots of closures and blight. This following article talks about how WFH is negatively impacting Toronto, another global city like NYC.

https://www.blogto.com/city/2021/10/...ntown-toronto/

There's a local youtuber named Louis Rossmann (spelling?) who has accurately catalogued the descent of so many neighborhoods in Manhattan, Brooklyn, and even Newark. The closures are multifactorial - high rental prices being a major factor. But at least during pre-COVID, businesses can rely on substantial foot traffic to get by. Anyway, you might want to take a look at some of his videos to get a better perspective.

Bottom line: there are entire sectors where people cannot work from home. And for those that can, they hurt the businesses that rely on those employees for their livelihood by not being present. This is why Adams is correctly pushing for people to return to the office.

Old 01-06-2022, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brownpine View Post
Let me ask you this - and this is Adams' point - if people work from home, who supports the small businesses, the hotels, restaurants, taxis, and other jobs where you need people on-site? Easy answer - nobody...and then those businesses go under. Proof? Look at any major city's business district and you will see lots of closures and blight. This following article talks about how WFH is negatively impacting Toronto, another global city like NYC.
Yeah but that's looking at it backwards. Forcing employees to work onsite just to support the jobs of others is wrong because they can find other employers who are willing to handle WFH. It's better to attract new companies and new jobs that can operate onsite work.

Old 01-06-2022, 05:34 PM

7,759 posts, read 3,879,408 times
Quote:
Yeah but that's looking at it backwards. Forcing employees to work onsite just to support the jobs of others is wrong because they can find other employers who are willing to handle WFH. It's better to attract new companies and new jobs that can operate onsite work.
Let's play ball and say if they fix these three things I could be convinced to go back to an office:

-COVID
-Crime
-Infrastructure

2023 is probably the soonest any one of those 3 improves...at this rate.

That being said, step 1 for Adams - Get the Psychos and Mental Outpatients OFF THE STREETS.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City