Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2022, 06:57 AM

8,935 posts, read 4,759,816 times

Advertisements

Good. I'd like to see more cops on the subway. People are acting up.

https://www.amny.com/transit/adams-h...nypd-homeless/

Mayor Eric Adams and Governor Kathy Hochul held their first joint appearance since the former took office Thursday to announce a slate of measures to combat crime in the New York City subways and increase outreach to those experiencing homelessness.

Mayor Adams vowed to make NYPD police officers an “omnipresence” on subway trains, using Transit Bureau cops and deploying more above-ground Boys in Blue from the city’s 77 police precincts.

“We’re going to add hundreds of daily visual inspections from existing police manpower,” Adams said at the Jan. 6 press conference in Fulton Street station in Manhattan. “The omnipresence is the key. People feel as though the system is not safe, because they don’t see their officers.”

Metropolitan Transportation Authority leaders have for months been asking the city to station more police on platforms and on trains.

It is unclear how many officers will patrol city’s 472 subway stations, but former Mayor Bill de Blasio boosted the ranks by 250 cops to 3,250 when then-Governor Andrew Cuomo allowed the Metropolitan Transportation Authority to resume 24/7 subway service in May of last year.

Recent police stats show there were 169 transit crimes over the last 28-day period, up from 101 the same time last year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2022, 07:09 AM

Transit Experts Hail Era Where Gov and Mayor Aren’t Throwing Each Other Under Buses
About time. Get things done instead of acting like a bunch of high school kids.

https://www.thecity.nyc/transportati...er-under-buses

The budding alliance between Gov. Kathy Hochul and Mayor Eric Adams on matters of mass transit marks a departure from the last eight years when Albany and City Hall were often headed in opposite directions when it came to the MTA.

While former Gov. Andrew Cuomo and ex-Mayor Bill de Blasio mostly used the transit system as another venue for their long-running feud — and rarely rode trains or buses — Hochul and Adams stood together Thursday inside the Fulton Center transit hub in Lower Manhattan to announce plans to reduce subway homelessness and crime.

“This is where you don’t need to be siloed or have turf battles, that’s how it works,” Hochul said. “That’s what’s been missing.”

Adams repeated one of his early slogans — “get stuff done” — to point to how the city and state plan to team up by putting additional police officers on trains and platforms and bringing more mental health workers into stations.

“We have had a city and state of, ‘This is mine and this is yours,’” he said, “Instead of saying, ‘How do we put all of our resources together to solve the problem?’”

‘They Sparred Everywhere’

Old 01-07-2022, 07:22 AM

7,296 posts, read 11,858,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeran View Post
Transit Experts Hail Era Where Gov and Mayor Aren’t Throwing Each Other Under Buses
About time. Get things done instead of acting like a bunch of high school kids.
The toxic relationship between de Blasio and Cuomo caused an uncountable number of missed economic opportunities. Many of the financial hardships being experienced today could have been prevented if both had behaved more constructively.

Old 01-07-2022, 08:01 AM

2,437 posts, read 1,212,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forest_Hills_Daddy View Post
The toxic relationship between de Blasio and Cuomo caused an uncountable number of missed economic opportunities. Many of the financial hardships being experienced today could have been prevented if both had behaved more constructively.
Good point.

Let me know how those cops work out on the subway, I won't be on it

Old 01-07-2022, 08:06 AM

5,662 posts, read 2,602,511 times
The last two days I saw cops on the train.

Old 01-07-2022, 08:40 AM

12,200 posts, read 7,215,987 times
Where is our trolling moderator to tell Hochul and Adams that there really isn’t 1. a crime problem, 2. that it has always been like this, 3. that they are just spreading “scared energy” and, 4. to ask them how does it affect them since they don’t ride the subways or in the case of Hochul, she doesn’t live in NYC?

Old 01-07-2022, 10:02 AM

7,759 posts, read 3,879,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 90sSitcom View Post
The last two days I saw cops on the train.
They can tweet when random people aren't getting stabbed in the neck every month on the platform.

Until then I'll believe it when I see it!

Old 01-07-2022, 11:10 AM

1,052 posts, read 451,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by antinimby View Post
Where is our trolling moderator to tell Hochul and Adams that there really isn’t 1. a crime problem, 2. that it has always been like this, 3. that they are just spreading “scared energy” and, 4. to ask them how does it affect them since they don’t ride the subways or in the case of Hochul, she doesn’t live in NYC?
Or better yet, as that moderator recently said, crime is "just natural" and a good thing because otherwise those same people committing it would be "unemployed"

Old 01-07-2022, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tencent View Post
They can tweet when random people aren't getting stabbed in the neck every month on the platform.

Until then I'll believe it when I see it!
You haven't been seeing them? I have for a couple of months now. On the platforms, on the subway cars. Course, I limit my rides to only the 7 and the N lines. And occasionally, the 1 line. I've seen them riding those lines and at the Times Sq platforms and Queensborough Plaza.

Old 01-07-2022, 02:50 PM

2,314 posts, read 1,148,785 times
Except that in Manhattan where most passengers are headed the DA has effectively decriminalized robbery and armed robbery. So the NYPD has been intentionally rendered impotent by DA Alvin Bragg.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City