Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2022, 02:09 PM

8,935 posts, read 4,759,816 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler View Post
Thank you!
Stupid don't fly for me. The father was an idiot and irresponsible.

Also, the report said they believe the heater was running for days, so to me, faulty, is not true.
I don't think space heaters are meant to be running for days on end.
That's kind of what the chief of the fire dept. said when someone asked if space heaters should be banned.
He said no. That they are seldom faulty if you practice common sense. Throwing shade there. But it's true.
That's why I like DeLonghi Space heaters. They automatically shut off if tipped over or if it's getting overheated. Some come with a timer. And no, you don't use it for days on end and use it unmonitored. Don't leave it on while sleeping or unattended.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2022, 03:06 PM

31,890 posts, read 26,926,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeran View Post
That's kind of what the chief of the fire dept. said when someone asked if space heaters should be banned.
He said no. That they are seldom faulty if you practice common sense. Throwing shade there. But it's true.
That's why I like DeLonghi Space heaters. They automatically shut off if tipped over or if it's getting overheated. Some come with a timer. And no, you don't use it for days on end and use it unmonitored. Don't leave it on while sleeping or unattended.
Or, just go with oil radiator type.

Tons of family and other people one knows have them in private homes. Saves cranking up the heat when only one person (a senior or children) are chilly. Also good in bathroom when chilly but central heat is off.

Yes, some space heaters are unsafe, but 99.9% of times these things are result of user error.

Old 01-10-2022, 03:13 PM

1,055 posts, read 546,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomperson2 View Post
”That is what you're supposed to do. The stairwells are like chimneys.”

In older buildings (like this one). Modern buildings should have fireproof stairways with auto-close doors you can evacuate through. (Not criticizing you, just wanting to make sure accurate information is out there.)

HOWEVER. You shouldn't even open your door if the alarm goes off, you touch it, and it's hot. And certainly if the hallway is filled with smoke--you almost certainly won't make it, even if you're close to the stairway door (you will likely get lost in the dark). If you open your door and see that, shut it again and do the towels. It's not a guarantee of survival by any means, but at least you won't die in the next ten minutes of smoke inhalation.

People panic and do all kinds of crazy things in a situation like that, so it's good to go over in your mind, and with your kids, what you should do in advance.
I assume that smoke got into the stairways when numerous people opened the doors to get in the stairway. It was also reported that one of those doors was left open.

The office building I last worked in had some kind of system that drove fresh air into the stairways if the fire alarm was pulled,

Old 01-10-2022, 06:40 PM

1,952 posts, read 1,299,077 times
A company should come up with longer fire escape ladders.
eg https://www.lowes.com/pd/First-Alert...E&gclsrc=aw.ds.

It should be mandatory that tenants buy/pay for these ladders prior to lease signing. Also each apartment should have a fire extinguisher.

Many tenants disable their smoke alarms. Store all sorts of combustible junk in their apartment. Many also walk around not properly dressed for the season hence the need to have buildings boiling hot or use space heater.

Also many people routinely place their furniture and personal belongings in front of windows which main function is to act as a secondary escape route.

Majority of those rats and roaches violations are tenant caused. I would not blame that on the landlord.

Old 01-11-2022, 07:31 AM

8,935 posts, read 4,759,816 times
Self-Closing Door Law Failed to Save Bronx Fire Victims

https://www.thecity.nyc/bronx/2022/1...x-fire-victims

In 2018, a year after a fire in a residential building killed 12 in his district, then-Bronx City Council member Ritchie Torres co-sponsored a bill mandating that all residential buildings must have self-closing doors by mid-2021.

Now a congressman, Torres announced on Monday a federal, state and local task force to examine residential building fire safety standards — including enforcement of the local law mandating self-closing doors he championed in the Council — after a deadly fire killed 17 people in the Twin Parks tower in Fordham Heights.

“We have to ensure that the housing stock is brought to the 21st century when it comes to fire safety — and The Bronx is no stranger to deadly fire,” said Torres, noting that the borough has seen New York City’s four deadliest blazes in the past 30 years.

A Twin Parks tenant reported as recently as last month that their self-closing entry door did not shut: Tenants in unit 6K submitted a complaint to the city Department of Housing Preservation and Development about their door on Dec. 6.

And another tenant told THE CITY that her apartment had door trouble for years.

“That door has never closed by itself,” Twin Parks tenant Yamina Rodríguez, who lived in unit 12J, said in Spanish. “I’ve lived here since 2004 and I’ve always had to close that door myself.” A spokesperson for the property owner, Bronx Park Phase III Preservation LLC, said they had not received any reports of issues with that door.

Old 01-11-2022, 08:04 AM

1,055 posts, read 546,048 times
The news keeps saying "malfunctioning space heater." Was it malfunctioning or misused? Too close to bedding, left on too long. It seems that it was functioning all too well.

Old 01-11-2022, 08:10 AM

5,297 posts, read 6,172,002 times
The only electric heater to buy is the "oil filled" type. Mine has been working for 15 year and provides toasty warmth.

Old 01-11-2022, 08:59 AM

18,462 posts, read 31,617,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dehumidifier View Post
The news keeps saying "malfunctioning space heater." Was it malfunctioning or misused? Too close to bedding, left on too long. It seems that it was functioning all too well.

This is what I was thinking.
it was too close to the bedding, and the fire marshall or someone said it had been running for days (?)

these little heaters are for short times, not to be running for days on end.

Im sorry, the father was a complete stupid man to not over see what was going on in his apartment, thus causing people to die, and I have a big problem with that.

Old 01-11-2022, 09:01 AM

88,509 posts, read 84,688,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dehumidifier View Post
What on earth was in that apartment that produced so much smoke?
Anything. I had a house fire once. My daughter's bedroom was gutted (she was sleeping over someone else's house that night.) The firefighters told me that things like plastic toys and stuffed animals feed fires.

There's also furniture, paper, carpets, whatever. Stuff burns.

I was watching yet another TV show recently wherein the hero goes into the burning building to rescue someone--but of course you see him leaping and bounding around isolated patches of fire giving off a bit of smoke. It's not way in a REAL fire. The room is FILLED WITH SMOKE. FILLED. There's no leaping and bounding around bits of fire. There's no clear air. The hero should be taking in smoke and passing out in less than a minute, and you shouldn't even be able to see him.

Old 01-11-2022, 09:03 AM

88,509 posts, read 84,688,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
I truly don't understand how anyone would choose to live in a building with so many other people whom they don't know from Adam, yet can directly impact their lives so easily.

RIP to the babies.
Apparently it was better to them to live that way than to stay in the DR. And people from there generally don't have a lot of experience with heating systems.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: