Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2022, 07:26 AM

5,719 posts, read 2,634,347 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeran View Post
Facts. New Yorkers have a love/hate relationship with the MTA. Hate it (at times, neutral at best) but can't live without it. It's still the quickest and cheapest way to get from point A to point B. They just have to get a handle on the current increase in crime ("perception" or not).

I kid you not. Every day I get an alert saying something has happened on the subway. From attacks to some fool lying down on the tracks (shutting off the entire line) and refusing to get up from his nap.
Yup it's true.
Also to note that people think ridership is down just due to people working from home. That plays a part but plenty are opting to take Ubers instead of dealing with the train. From unreliable service to crimes to the mentally ill are all reasons. This morning at 5 am a mental Ill men started causing trouble on my train. Actually last night home too. They had to hold the train for a while and get another mentally ill man off the train before it could proceed. Everyday is a true adventure on the train.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2022, 08:17 AM

7,296 posts, read 11,877,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 90sSitcom View Post
Also to note that people think ridership is down just due to people working from home.
And some of the people working from home are actually at home within the boundaries of NYC, as in the boroughs. So some of that remote money still gets spent within the city. And people are still doing cross-borough commuting even if they don't go to Manhattan.

Old 01-24-2022, 06:11 AM

16,150 posts, read 6,896,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 90sSitcom View Post
Ok so if they do that will you be my personal driver? I pay $2.75 each ride.
( Sarcasm )
First quarter mile. $2.75
Anything after is a buck a block.
In addition $20 bucks to pick you up.
Tolls not included.
Remember, I am not state or federally subsidized.
Someone's got to pay for my expenses..............................

Old 01-24-2022, 08:17 AM

25,387 posts, read 37,130,658 times
I pay $1.35 usually for TWO rides.

Old 01-24-2022, 12:43 PM

2,317 posts, read 1,158,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forest_Hills_Daddy View Post
And some of the people working from home are actually at home within the boundaries of NYC, as in the boroughs. So some of that remote money still gets spent within the city. And people are still doing cross-borough commuting even if they don't go to Manhattan.

A few of my Staten Islander neighbors now Work From Home. And they all love it. Getting up 60 to 90 minutes later, no more sitting in traffic on the Gowanus. The Hylan Blvd. express bus stop near my house has fewer passengers in the morning than I have ever seen. And fewer getting off the express buses in the evening too. All this tells me that a significant number of Staten Islanders are happily doing WFH.

Old 01-26-2022, 10:24 AM

Quote:
a resort city cannot be a criminal h*ll at the same time
Perhaps you overlook Atlantic City and Las Vegas???

Old 01-29-2022, 06:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Retired View Post
Rebound in subway ridership?

I say Fill the hole with sand and bid good riddance.
I read your post without looking at your name, but I knew immediately who you were.

Old 01-29-2022, 06:25 AM

7,759 posts, read 3,900,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
Restaurants will mostly perish. REITS will go bankrupt. Even much NYC retail was office worker dependent.
Au contraire - REITS will boom because individual home ownership is becoming impractical and in the case of NYC, unachievable.

Much easier to own 1% of an overpriced Loft than 100%!

Old 01-29-2022, 07:01 AM

2,317 posts, read 1,158,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tencent View Post
Au contraire - REITS will boom because individual home ownership is becoming impractical and in the case of NYC, unachievable.

Sales of 1-family and 2-family homes in the outer boroughs were stable during the pandemic and are rebounding. New 2-family homes on S.I. sell in the $900K+ range in east shore and south shore neighborhoods. 1-family resales sell in the $600K+ range, 2-family resales in the $800k+ range.

Old 01-29-2022, 07:07 AM

12,792 posts, read 8,320,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tencent View Post

I'd rather put my money in stocks, ETFs and perhaps even some Options contracts before considering REITs, especially in this market. The whole industry is going through a revolution of sorts. Too early to predict where either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfc99 View Post
A few of my Staten Islander neighbors now Work From Home. And they all love it. Getting up 60 to 90 minutes later, no more sitting in traffic on the Gowanus. The Hylan Blvd. express bus stop near my house has fewer passengers in the morning than I have ever seen. And fewer getting off the express buses in the evening too. All this tells me that a significant number of Staten Islanders are happily doing WFH.
Same in my area. The express buses aren't nearly as crowded.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: