Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2022, 07:35 AM

34,011 posts, read 47,240,427 times

Advertisements

Time to put all these ne'er do wells on reservations like they did the Navajo, Hopi, etc

Forum TOS: https://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2022, 10:44 AM

2,602 posts, read 1,205,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Werdywerd View Post
Put on Probation for illegal Gun Possession.

Where are the folks who claim, yet again, that these new WOKE Bail and Probation reform laws don't mean criminals are going back out on the street to do crime?

Here maybe the Mayor is wrong when he even says it?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yjOkKDeRCkA
What a mess. 2 cops shot in harlem. This in the bronx. Not to mention an 11 month old baby got shot in the bronx about 2-3 days ago.

Old 01-24-2022, 10:44 AM

8,332 posts, read 4,372,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
Time to put all these ne'er do wells on reservations like they did the Navajo, Hopi, etc

Only those who commit crime or serious disturbance. What makes you think anyone objects to anything else? Your usual exaggeration and fake drama, with the aim to protect the interests of criminals at the expense of vital interests of everyone else?

Btw, have you been to Navajo Nation? I spent about half a year there. The scenery is amazing, absolutely everything is subsidized and available, and the new generation of Navajos (at least those employed with whom I interacted) are well educated, quite prosperous, and totally integrated in normal modern society. In fact, if I should ever decide I wouldn't want to live in cities any more, my top choice would be a small city just outside Navajo Nation (I wouldn't be able to permanently live inside, but when I did contract work there, I was given temporary residence in an absolutely fantastic, spacious, super comfortable mobile home in the heart of NN. They get those for free too. Taxpayers have atoned several hundred thousand times over for the sins of the forefathers. There are more Navajos living now, and in greater prosperity, than ever in the history. The number of Navajos has more than doubled since 1985. And what do you say about the fact that Navajos themselves drove out the Anasazi who lived there in the prior centuries, that the native tribes were in constant war against each other, and are still bickering about whose is which land - is that also the fault of European settlers?).

Last edited by elnrgby; 01-24-2022 at 10:58 AM..

Old 01-24-2022, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elnrgby View Post
Only those who commit crime or serious disturbance. What makes you think anyone objects to anything else? Your usual exaggeration and fake drama, with the aim to protect the interests of criminals at the expense of vital interests of everyone else?

Btw, have you been to Navajo Nation? I spent about half a year there. The scenery is amazing, absolutely everything is subsidized and available, and the new generation of Navajos (at least those employed with whom I interacted) are well educated, quite prosperous, and totally integrated in normal modern society. In fact, if I should ever decide I wouldn't want to live in cities any more, my top choice would be a small city just outside Navajo Nation (I wouldn't be able to permanently live inside, but when I did contract work there, I was given temporary residence in an absolutely fantastic, spacious, super comfortable mobile home in the heart of NN. They get those for free too. Taxpayers have atoned several hundred thousand times over for the sins of the forefathers. There are more Navajos living now, and in greater prosperity, than ever in the history. The number of Navajos has more than doubled since 1985. And what do you say about the fact that Navajos themselves drove out the Anasazi who lived there in the prior centuries, that the native tribes were in constant war against each other, and are still bickering about whose is which land - is that also the fault of European settlers?).
I'm not interested in protecting criminals. The truth is that crime in America is fueled primarily by social neglect. Shameful, for one of the richest countries on the planet. Fix the social issues, and you will fix the crime.

Old 01-24-2022, 05:23 PM

2,602 posts, read 1,205,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Retired View Post
We are making tactical errors?

Ridiculous Mr. Mayor. Simply Ridiculous.

The errors do not lie within the police department.

The failure is in members of what makes up our society
refusal to assimilate and follow normal patterns of decency.

If you do not want to call out those who continue to be problematic
then increase policing of communities in which the problems reside.
Rudy Giuliani scored crack in Washington Heights in 1986 in broad daylight for all New Yorkers
to see on television a city drug problem . This put pressure on the City to address Washington Heights
and fix the problem.

If our new mayor continues to use generalizations in his wordings as a way of addressing problems rather than being transparent and accurately pointing out the source of the problem there will be so much confusion created that New York will end up having an over presence of Police in Battery Park and Dumbo rather than Mott Haven and Hunts Point.
And it would establish him as Debozo 2.0 if he goes down this dubious path.

Hope he can turn things around. But rough start so far.

Old 01-24-2022, 06:36 PM

Quote:
I'm not interested in protecting criminals. The truth is that crime in America is fueled primarily by social neglect. Shameful, for one of the richest countries on the planet. Fix the social issues, and you will fix the crime.

The majority of people with social problems in America (or anywhere) are not criminals. The truth is that crime in America is fueled by a sub-culture that glorifies crime.

This country offers free housing, free food, free schools, increased welfare benefits for each additional kid, free contraception, free medical care, free addiction treatment, jobs everywhere at every level. What social neglect? When people pop out kids that they neglect, those kids are not neglected socially, but neglected by their parents - what do you want done about that? In fact, what is it that you want in general, what social issues are you yelling (at someone clearly other than yourself) to fix, how do you want them fixed, and who is it exactly that you demand should fix them? Aren't you ashamed of asking for endless entitlements?

I had my own social problems of the magnitude you can't imagine, and I worked extremely hard on fixing them. I have news for you, but addressing your own problems is a part of growing up for all of us, from any kind of background. Another person cannot grow up for you. So why don't you ask people with social problems to fix them themselves, or at least accept the solutions that are given out everywhere?

Old 01-24-2022, 06:38 PM

Quote:
The majority of people with social problems in America (or anywhere) are not criminals. The truth is that crime in America is fueled by a sub-culture that glorifies crime.

This country offers free housing, free food, free schools, increased welfare benefits for each additional kid, free contraception, free medical care, free addiction treatment, jobs everywhere at every level. What social neglect? When people pop out kids that they neglect, those kids are not neglected socially, but neglected by their parents - what do you want done about that? In fact, what is it that you want in general, what social issues are you yelling (at someone clearly other than yourself) to fix, how do you want them fixed, and who is it exactly that you demand should fix them? Aren't you ashamed of asking for endless entitlements?

I had my own social problems of the magnitude you can't imagine, and I worked extremely hard on fixing them. I have news for you, but addressing your own problems is a part of growing up for all of us, from any kind of background. Another person cannot grow up for you. So why don't you ask people with social problems to fix them themselves, or at least accept the solutions that are given out everywhere?
So America had no crime before all these social safety nets were introduced? There is no sub-culture that glorifies crime. Social neglect causes the majority of crime. And free housing? Where are people living that they signed a lease that allows them to pay zero dollars in rent?

Old 01-24-2022, 06:58 PM

Quote:
So America had no crime before all these social safety nets were introduced? There is no sub-culture that glorifies crime. Social neglect causes the majority of crime. And free housing? Where are people living that they signed a lease that allows them to pay zero dollars in rent?

Your first sentence contradicts yourself. YOU are the one arguing that "social neglect" causes crime. So what does that sentence mean? That social services cause crime? I don't get it.

America has surely always had crime, and has had historically several different sub-cultures of crime, correct. A lot of them have died out, thank goodness. The culture around gangsta rap does not glorify crime? Is that a really bad joke? Joining a criminal street gang isn't socially prestigious in certain circles?

Section 8 = free housing (ie, rent paid by taxpayers, free for the user)

What do you mean by "social neglect"? Give some examples of that in America. Why did you not answer any of my questions from the previous post?

Old 01-24-2022, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Your first sentence contradicts yourself. YOU are the one arguing that "social neglect" causes crime. So what does that sentence mean? That social services cause crime? I don't get it.

America has surely always had crime, and has had historically several different sub-cultures of crime, correct. A lot of them have died out, thank goodness. The culture around gangsta rap does not glorify crime? Is that a really bad joke? Joining a criminal street gang isn't socially prestigious in certain circles?

Section 8 = free housing (ie, rent paid by taxpayers, free for the user)

What do you mean by "social neglect"? Give some examples of that in America. Why did you not answer any of my questions from the previous post?
Section 8 is not free, people who hold Section 8 vouchers pay a percentage of the rent still, there is no housing that is completely free.

A main component of social neglect is poverty. For the 8th richest country in the world, it makes no sense that 13% of its citizens are poor. Poverty has a direct correlation to crime rate, especially in urban areas, where both sides of the wealth spectrum are glaringly visible.

As for gangsta rap, why aren't you pointing fingers at the music labels? They're the ones with the money and means of production to distribute the records, why no blame pointed at them? Denounce the rapper, but not the label that pays the rapper? The situation is entirely more complex that you care to educate yourself about. You clearly like to engage in these topics, however you are not willing to look at both sides of the coin. Very linear train of thought.

But in summation, poverty is a major component of social neglect, and this is not a problem one of the richest countries in the world should have. We have a society where people are taught to seek fulfillment by looking at their bank statements. No wonder why crime is rampant when the consensus is make money or you're "worthless," figurately and literally. You combine this with a materialistic society, what else do you expect.

Last edited by SeventhFloor; 01-24-2022 at 07:23 PM..

Old 01-24-2022, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Section 8 is not free, people who hold Section 8 vouchers pay a percentage of the rent still, there is no housing that is completely free.

A main component of social neglect is poverty. For the 8th richest country in the world, it makes no sense that 13% of its citizens are poor. Poverty has a direct correlation to crime rate, especially in urban areas, where both sides of the wealth spectrum are glaringly visible.

As for gangsta rap, why aren't you pointing fingers at the music labels? They're the ones with the money and means of production to distribute the records, why no blame pointed at them? Denounce the rapper, but not the label that pays the rapper? The situation is entirely more complex that you care to educate yourself about. You clearly like to engage in these topics, however you are not willing to look at both sides of the coin. Very linear train of thought.

But in summation, poverty is a major component of social neglect, and this is not a problem one of the richest countries in the world should have. We have a society where people are taught to seek fulfillment by looking at their bank statements. No wonder why crime is rampant when the consensus is make money or you're "worthless," figurately and literally. You combine this with a materialistic society, what else do you expect.

If you have no income, Section 8 is free.

Correct, it makes no sense for the 8th richest country in the world that 13% of the population is poor. But why are they poor if they can go to school for free, and if there are so many jobs nationwide? Why are you blaming people who work and pay taxes for the poverty of people who refuse to work? Why are you blaming the society for the poverty of someone who decides to have four kids by the age of 18, while having no interest or ability to provide for them? The society can only offer opportunities - if people don't want to take them, how do they expect not to be poor?

Re gangsta rap, sure, I am pointing finger at music labels, musicians, clothes makers, the whole thing. It is worse than cancer. I am pointing finger at the whole idiotic idea that crime is cool and prestigious.

There is no social neglect in the US! There are endless opportunities that some people don't want to take, because they do not want to make any amount of effort. They want to remain a mental equivalent of tantrum-throwing toddlers, and they expect to be fully taken care of from the cradle to the grave. Your demand to fix some sort of imaginary social neglect is in essence asking to be taken care of. I came to the US at the age of 23, with $300 in my pocket, and fully took care of myself from the moment I landed. Nobody else cared a bit about me here, yet I do not consider that to be any kind of social neglect, since it is normal for a young person that age to be able to care for herself.

It is YOUR opinion that people are taught to seek fulfillment by looking at their bank statements - it says something about you, not about the US. As far as I noticed, people in the US are taught to seek fulfillment by supporting themselves - which is different from looking at bank statements.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City