Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2022, 10:46 AM

34,180 posts, read 47,478,853 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by antinimby View Post
Except it isn’t all Americans. It is primarily black Americans that have the highest crime rates, highest murder rates, highest fatherless children, lowest academic performance and who knows what other tons of social ills there are.

Money is constantly thrown at them and their problems with each new program claiming to fix this or that problem but it never does.

Stop making excuses.
All due to their environment.

Forum TOS: https://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2022, 12:41 PM

8,423 posts, read 4,444,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
Sometimes parenting isn't enough. I know you don't have kids, but sometimes the parents do all they can and the kid still falls short.

I outlined several ideas in another thread, but I will reiterate them.

Nutrition is most key to a child's development. Hydroponic farms on the roofs of public school buildings, the kids harvest the vegetables, and that's what they have for breakfast and lunch. Teaches them the rewards of physical labor while receiving healthy food. Instead of what they serve that passes for food nowadays. The goal is to create an environment with an adequate quality of living standards.

Trades were taught in public schools, so was home ec, but not anymore. I don't know if drivers ed was ever taught in NYC public schools, but it was not in mine; I had to go pay for lessons. The schools don't teach enough life skills. Kids should take a career aptitude test of some sort so that they can have an idea of what career they want to pursue.

Housing in this country is severely outdated, you can print a 3D house in a day now, and the 3D house comes with a printer so that you can replace any broken parts in your house. However, circumstances are most of us live in outdated building structures. Yet people say prices are high because of a building shortage. The technology is there, yet most have to live in multiple dwelling "people warehouses," all in the name of profit.

There's plenty that can be done, all I'm doing is scratching the surface.

What a bunch of nonsense . You can buy organic vegetables very cheaply at Trader Joe's. I ate very badly when I was a kid (after about mid-month, my parents could afford to get pretty much only bread. For about two weeks of a month, my nutrition was bread with butter and lettuce, for breakfast, lunch and dinner, for several years). Me and everybody around me ate badly (not to mention the lead plumbing and lead paint), which I never noticed to be an inspiration for crime. I am not advocating bad food, particularly because good food can be bought affordably in the US (although it went up due to inflation, but veggies that I buy at Trader Joe's are still very affordable), but am laughing at the assertion that poor nutrition causes crime .

Vocational schools very much do exist, and are free. In Massachusetts, they just recently received a huge amount of funding that will enable them to expand even further.

I have always lived in old buildings, and a residential skyscraper with numerous units is my preferred form of housing. I grew up in a condo building. If you don't like it, why do you live in NYC where multiple dwelling structures are normal and predominant? Nobody is forcing you to live in a place where skyscrapers are the predominant architecture. Living in an old skyscraper in and of itself does not cause any crime.

I am just marveling at the ridiculousness of these excuses for crime! I cannot believe someone can seriously say that nutrition, lack of free schools in the US, or old multiunit buildings cause crime. Do you hear yourself, do you really expect someone to accept that kind of nonsense? The spiel about nutrition and old buildings is obviously fake, the lack of schools is inaccurate.

Are you really telling me, with a straight face, that gang crimes are not caused by a type of culture that makes gang membership attractive and socially prestigious, but are caused by fast food and old multiunit buildings?! And you expect me not to laugh?!

Last edited by elnrgby; 01-25-2022 at 01:00 PM..

Old 01-25-2022, 01:35 PM

Quote:
All due to their environment.

The US is a large country, where everyone has an option to change their environment. The environment in which I grew up was entirely hopeless, so I escaped elsewhere. That is what everyone does who is seriously bothered by their environment. Not stay in the same environment, and murder random people for a cellphone, for being Asian, or for no reason at all. And then argue that you do that because your building is outdated and has multiple units :-).

Old 01-25-2022, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elnrgby View Post
The US is a large country, where everyone has an option to change their environment. The environment in which I grew up was entirely hopeless, so I escaped elsewhere. That is what everyone does who is seriously bothered by their environment. Not stay in the same environment, and murder random people for a cellphone, for being Asian, or for no reason at all. And then argue that you do that because your building is outdated and has multiple units :-).
Well this kid was 16. So even if they wanted to change their environment I doubt they would have the means to do so, they're not even legal.

Old 01-25-2022, 02:26 PM

Quote:
What a bunch of nonsense . You can buy organic vegetables very cheaply at Trader Joe's. I ate very badly when I was a kid (after about mid-month, my parents could afford to get pretty much only bread. For about two weeks of a month, my nutrition was bread with butter and lettuce, for breakfast, lunch and dinner, for several years). Me and everybody around me ate badly (not to mention the lead plumbing and lead paint), which I never noticed to be an inspiration for crime. I am not advocating bad food, particularly because good food can be bought affordably in the US (although it went up due to inflation, but veggies that I buy at Trader Joe's are still very affordable), but am laughing at the assertion that poor nutrition causes crime .

Vocational schools very much do exist, and are free. In Massachusetts, they just recently received a huge amount of funding that will enable them to expand even further.

I have always lived in old buildings, and a residential skyscraper with numerous units is my preferred form of housing. I grew up in a condo building. If you don't like it, why do you live in NYC where multiple dwelling structures are normal and predominant? Nobody is forcing you to live in a place where skyscrapers are the predominant architecture. Living in an old skyscraper in and of itself does not cause any crime.

I am just marveling at the ridiculousness of these excuses for crime! I cannot believe someone can seriously say that nutrition, lack of free schools in the US, or old multiunit buildings cause crime. Do you hear yourself, do you really expect someone to accept that kind of nonsense? The spiel about nutrition and old buildings is obviously fake, the lack of schools is inaccurate.

Are you really telling me, with a straight face, that gang crimes are not caused by a type of culture that makes gang membership attractive and socially prestigious, but are caused by fast food and old multiunit buildings?! And you expect me not to laugh?!
Ever heard of Jacob Riis? Jane Addams? Lillian Wald? Absolutely environment contributes. NYC even has a Tenement Museum that shows the squalor that people have been living in. Of course the environment one grows up in contributes. If it was so easy, why didn't you just stay and thrive in your country instead of coming here? What made it so hard for you to perserve where you were at, since everybody should just help themselves, you could have simply did that in your country of origin.

Old 01-25-2022, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Well this kid was 16. So even if they wanted to change their environment I doubt they would have the means to do so, they're not even legal.

And what did his parents do about it? Why did they have a kid they couldn't raise in the first place?

Old 01-25-2022, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Ever heard of Jacob Riis? Jane Addams? Lillian Wald? Absolutely environment contributes. NYC even has a Tenement Museum that shows the squalor that people have been living in. Of course the environment one grows up in contributes. If it was so easy, why didn't you just stay and thrive in your country instead of coming here? What made it so hard for you to perserve where you were at, since everybody should just help themselves, you could have simply did that in your country of origin.

Yes, I have heard of all three. NYCHA was built expressly to correct the problems illustrated in Riis photos. It was built to give every benefit of solid construction, space, fresh air and community. Except that the NYCHA community dragged it into the nightmare of crime. NYCHA buildings are not guilty of crime, people in them are. Stuy Town is built architecturally exactly like welfare projects in NYC - so how do you explain Stuy Town is not infested with crime?

While I am all in favor of comfortable living and building improvements, uncomfortable living does not by itself cause crime. The vast majority of people who lived in squalor of the Lower East Side were not criminal, and even the majority of people living in NYCHA are not criminal - only those who think crime is cool and prestigious.

If it was so easy, why didn't I just stay and thrive in my country? What are you even talking about? Of course it was not easy in my country, it was horrendous to the degree which you cannot imagine - I came here because everything was possible here, and to an American-born person it is even more possible here, because such a person does not have tremendous limitations that were imposed by my immigration status for very many years (eg, I certainly was not eligible for any social services at all, nobody paid my health insurance or housing, and I could not even accept a job, only the research which was a part of my grad school curriculum, for which I received a stipend well below the minimum wage in the US. But I was ecstatic, because I escaped violence; money did not mean a thing. And my first order of priority, in a difficult situation, was certainly not to pop out a bunch of kids - how anyone can do that is beyond my comprehension).

You are making no sense asking me how come I escaped into the US. Obviously, because it was possible to survive here. American-born people have that possibility of survival already built into their citizenship, they do not have to go to any different country. And if they don't like their local environment, the US is so huge and varied that there are thousands of completely different environments where they can go.

Old 01-25-2022, 04:10 PM

Quote:
And what did his parents do about it? Why did they have a kid they couldn't raise in the first place?
I don't know their personal situation, can't answer that. I can only speculate just like anybody else.

Old 01-25-2022, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Yes, I have heard of all three. NYCHA was built expressly to correct the problems illustrated in Riis photos. It was built to give every benefit of solid construction, space, fresh air and community. Except that the NYCHA community dragged it into the nightmare of crime. NYCHA buildings are not guilty of crime, people in them are. Stuy Town is built architecturally exactly like welfare projects in NYC - so how do you explain Stuy Town is not infested with crime?

While I am all in favor of comfortable living and building improvements, uncomfortable living does not by itself cause crime. The vast majority of people who lived in squalor of the Lower East Side were not criminal, and even the majority of people living in NYCHA are not criminal - only those who think crime is cool and prestigious.

If it was so easy, why didn't I just stay and thrive in my country? What are you even talking about? Of course it was not easy in my country, it was horrendous to the degree which you cannot imagine - I came here because everything was possible here, and to an American-born person it is even more possible here, because such a person does not have tremendous limitations that were imposed by my immigration status for very many years (eg, I certainly was not eligible for any social services at all, nobody paid my health insurance or housing, and I could not even accept a job, only the research which was a part of my grad school curriculum, for which I received a stipend well below the minimum wage in the US. But I was ecstatic, because I escaped violence; money did not mean a thing. And my first order of priority, in a difficult situation, was certainly not to pop out a bunch of kids - how anyone can do that is beyond my comprehension).

You are making no sense asking me how come I escaped into the US. Obviously, because it was possible to survive here. American-born people have that possibility of survival already built into their citizenship, they do not have to go to any different country. And if they don't like their local environment, the US is so huge and varied that there are thousands of completely different environments where they can go.
It all circles back to poverty. The conditions have been created and they should be fixed.

Old 01-25-2022, 04:38 PM

Quote:
It all circles back to poverty. The conditions have been created and they should be fixed.

Another smug empty political slogan that means nothing at all except that certain people are too lazy to do even a bare minimum for themselves, too entitled to accept anything less than a Maserati, and too manipulative to stop exploiting something that ended long ago and has no connection with present time.

A lot of people are very poor sometime in their life, or all their life, but they never do anything criminal. The great majority of poor people are like that. In the US, even the worst poverty is quite okay compared with many other places (as I can remember extremely well). It all circles back to the culture of crime. No American citizen needs to commit crime in order to survive, considering all the jobs, plus social programs. People in the US commit crime because they want to, not because they need to.

More than three quarters of all demographic groups on this planet could say that conditions for their troubles have been created and should be fixed. Except that most demographic groups on this planet eagerly make an effort to fix those problems for themselves - because, as I already said, growing up is something everyone has to do for themselves, nobody else can do it for you. As the best known and probably most severe example (but there are many others), the entire world had been creating "conditions" for Jewish people for 2,000 years, yet they asked practically nobody ever to fix those conditions for them - they latched to any scrap of opportunity they could find, and generally did well for themselves as a demographic group. Jewish folks surely never had any Affirmative Action in the US.

The only relevant conditions that the US has been creating for decades are excellent conditions for everyone to get out of poverty. Of course, you can't do that with four kids and no desire to work, but these particular conditions are entirely self-created.

Last edited by elnrgby; 01-25-2022 at 04:49 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City