Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2022, 04:01 PM

2,948 posts, read 1,281,403 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cara_319 View Post
As I see it, a name is a name and shouldn't define the person. Why are names like Robert, Eric, Stephanie, Jill, etc" considered to be good names, while other names that are not European American are considered to be bad names?

I've noticed a few of my friends from other cultures abridging their names or taking on an American name, because it is considered more socially acceptable.

I tend to judge people by their actions and not their names.
There's a reason the names that we have became normative.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2022, 04:01 PM

1,086 posts, read 565,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiredofnyclife View Post
Depraved indifference is actually on the NY legal books. A 10 second google search found this,

https://nycourts.gov/judges/cji/2-Pe...120/120-25.pdf

"DEPRAVED INDIFFERENCE TO HUMAN LIFE refers to a person’s state of mind in recklessly engaging in conduct which
creates a grave risk of death. A person has a depraved indifference to human life when that person has an utter disregard
for the value of human life – a willingness to act, not because he or she means to cause grievous harm, but because he or she
simply does not care whether or not grievous harm will result."

My lawyer friend says the most common example cited is that of a car driver going onto a sidewalk to mow pedestrians down. (just see the many examples of 3rd world Uber and taxi drivers in NYC).
Well, that makes sense. I'm sure Law and Order has a huge legal staff to make sure what the writers put in the script is believable.

Old 01-31-2022, 06:12 PM

16,202 posts, read 6,954,471 times
I had the fortune of growing up on borderline neighborhoods.

I was raised to stay on my side of the tracks while others stayed on their side of the tracks.
Plenty of movies from West Side Story thru Bronx Tale depicted the real New York experience.

People worked hard to move up and finally out of the slums.
Now, unfortunately the slum is coming to them.

If New York politicians can not or will not protect the public, the public
will eventually protect themselves by voting them out of office..Much
praise to law enforcement that collared these Brooklyn thugs.

Old 01-31-2022, 06:19 PM

562 posts, read 466,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lillie767 View Post
Do you think that Armani is coming from this person's "culture" or do you think it's aspirational?
I don't know what the rationale was for his family choosing Armani and quite frankly, I really don't care.
My point was, the name "Armani" is no better or worse than the name "Robert."

Armani is simply a name, like any other name, and there should be no stigma or hatred associated with that name, just because it may not be to your liking.

Old 01-31-2022, 07:39 PM

8,420 posts, read 4,456,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cara_319 View Post
As I see it, a name is a name and shouldn't define the person. Why are names like Robert, Eric, Stephanie, Jill, etc" considered to be good names, while other names that are not European American are considered to be bad names?

I've noticed a few of my friends from other cultures abridging their names or taking on an American name, because it is considered more socially acceptable.

I tend to judge people by their actions and not their names.

Armani IS a European name! It is the last name of Giorgio Armani, the Italian creator of the luxury fashion brand Armani. Naming a kid from a presumably "disadvantaged" background (or from any background) after a luxury fashion brand? Why? Because luxury fashion brands are valued among ghetto criminals? Well, feel free to judge Armani Miller by his actions - not sure how is that in his favor, but I can surely see the connection between his name and his actions. The issue is not with ethnicity of the name, and if someone gives a kid a traditional African name, that's great, particularly if they impart on the kid a genuine interest in African cultures and ancestry... but Armani ?

Last edited by elnrgby; 01-31-2022 at 08:08 PM..

Old 01-31-2022, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lillie767 View Post
Do you think that Armani is coming from this person's "culture" or do you think it's aspirational?

I think that members of criminal street culture certainly aspire to Armani brand, or other luxury brands. Best accessorized with a French bulldog or anything else that is very expensive. Why bother committing crime if not to show off your material "success" to the maximum (particularly if you don't have a concept of any other kind of values)?

Old 01-31-2022, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
How can you say this when you don't know their upbringings?

See my other posts above. I don't know his upbringing, but I see the result of his upbringing, and that result seems very consistent with being named after a luxury fashion brand (remember that "urban novel" about brand names that I brought to your attention?).

Old 01-31-2022, 08:43 PM

1,952 posts, read 1,311,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metromoxo View Post
I think I've heard of Depraved Indifference a bunch of times on tv - Law and Order.

If I were the guy removing snow, I'd be really PO'd at my reckless neighbor who rented out his house to 18 and 19 year olds from Brooklyn.
I am guessing another straw renter rented the house

Old 02-01-2022, 04:37 AM

12,200 posts, read 7,269,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBMW View Post
The same thing was happening in the Poconos a while back. A friend of mine was looking at houses out there, and a lot of them looked like they were worked over by hood rats. I can't be sure if they were from NYC or Philly, but one house had been stripped and had what looked like Latin Kings graffiti in it.
Where did you think all the NYC ghetto trash went all those gentrification years when many left NYC? They went to all the (cheaper) towns in surrounding states like NE PA, Hudson Valley NY, LI and CT. Of course some went further to North Carolina, Georgia, and Florida.

All those places have lots and lots of former New Yorkers and many of them are trashy and turn many of those areas trashy too.

Old 02-01-2022, 06:19 AM

3,790 posts, read 3,520,922 times
That's why I moved up here. Not only are the Police and DA top notch, but just a day later my Town is looking to Ban short term rentals because of this incident. Thank God for our elected officials up here.

https://www.facebook.com/photo?fbid=...41002111384581
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City