Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2022, 02:59 PM

9,434 posts, read 4,248,521 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
You posted this in jest, but most people on this forum wouldn't live in Harlem even during when Giuliani was Mayor

So why the faux surprise/outrage

Tell me I'm lying
Harlem is soooo much better than it ever was. I have friends who moved into those luxury buildings and although the neighborhood is a little rough, it is nothing like it was 15 years ago.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2022, 03:05 PM

34,018 posts, read 47,252,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by foodyum View Post
Harlem is soooo much better than it ever was. I have friends who moved into those luxury buildings and although the neighborhood is a little rough, it is nothing like it was 15 years ago.
I'll repeat: most people on this forum wouldn't live in Harlem even during when Giuliani was Mayor

Don't believe me, make a poll.

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 02-07-2022, 03:10 PM

8,935 posts, read 4,759,816 times
Quote:
I'll repeat: most people on this forum wouldn't live in Harlem even during when Giuliani was Mayor

Don't believe me, make a poll.
Yeah, I think you're right. I don't when Harlem became popular but it wasn't during the Giuliani years. Were transplants a thing back then? I don't know when transplants started coming to NYC en masse but I think the popularity of Harlem started with the whole transplant thing. I say this because over the years whenever I found or heard someone recently moving to Harlem or considering Harlem, it's a transplant.

Old 02-07-2022, 03:16 PM

19,031 posts, read 13,937,683 times
Great job of turning around what people are actually saying… again…

Of course I never wanted to live in Harlem, never will live in Harlem, and hope to never even have visit Harlem again after last week. That’s obvious. And none of that is even remotely related to my point.

The problem 7th is that your world view is, “Well it was always bad. So?”

How about we make it better for the people who do have to live there, instead of abandoning neighborhoods because, well, heck, they’re just bad, right?

Do you want to know why some neighborhoods are always good while others are always bad? Because the people in the good ones care to keep them that way, while the people in the bad ones don’t care if they stay the way they are.

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search

Old 02-07-2022, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
Great job of turning around what people are actually saying… again…

Of course I never wanted to live in Harlem, never will live in Harlem, and hope to never even have visit Harlem again after last week. That’s obvious. And none of that is even remotely related to my point.

The problem 7th is that your world view is, “Well it was always bad. So?”

How about we make it better for the people who do have to live there, instead of abandoning neighborhoods because, well, heck, they’re just bad, right?

Do you want to know why some neighborhoods are always good while others are always bad? Because the people in the good ones care to keep them that way, while the people in the bad ones don’t care if they stay the way they are.
Why do you think I'm saying so what?

I'll spell it out for you real clear: I don't understand the outrage, when it is a well known fact that the people who start these threads would not step in these neighborhoods no matter who the Mayor is, or what year it is.

So why the faux concern? That's my point. Since when did any of these usual posters give a crap about Harlem? It's not that I'm saying so what about it. I don't know how to make it any clearer.

Old 02-07-2022, 03:44 PM

I’ve never wanted to live in New Orleans either, but in 2005 I volunteered with less than 4 hours notice to go down there after Katrina to help with the recovery.

You don’t have to live some particular place to want to make it better. It’s not “faux outrage”, you just don’t understand the mindset.

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search

Old 02-07-2022, 04:29 PM

5,662 posts, read 2,602,511 times
Quote:
You posted this in jest, but most people on this forum wouldn't live in Harlem even during when Giuliani was Mayor

So why the faux surprise/outrage

Tell me I'm lying
I lived there when he was. Then left and moved back during Bloomberg's reign. Then left again. Now it's too expensive.

Old 02-07-2022, 05:06 PM

Quote:
I’ve never wanted to live in New Orleans either, but in 2005 I volunteered with less than 4 hours notice to go down there after Katrina to help with the recovery.

You don’t have to live some particular place to want to make it better. It’s not “faux outrage”, you just don’t understand the mindset.
Have you ever volunteered in Harlem?

Old 02-07-2022, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Have you ever volunteered in Harlem?
I worked there plenty of times over the years, along with nearly every other bad neighborhood throughout the city. It doesn’t matter if you’re being paid if you are giving it your all.

Old 02-07-2022, 05:17 PM

Quote:
I worked there plenty of times over the years, along with nearly every other bad neighborhood throughout the city. It doesn’t matter if you’re being paid if you are giving it your all.
Paid and volunteered are 2 different things

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City