Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2022, 06:29 AM

7,759 posts, read 3,913,276 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2020's YouTube Vlog View Post
A lot of the work force in Manhattan live in places like Long Island, NJ, Westchester, as well as parts of Queens and Brooklyn where driving into the city is the ideal manner of transportation. In fact, people who live near Riverside Dr Uptown also tend to rely on cars.

The idea that one doesn't need a car in NYC is a myth for most residents. And even those who live in public transit-friendly parts of Manhattan can benefit greatly from owning one.
I've lived and commuted from Queens most of my life and never owned a car. It would be added headaches and cost for little gain in QOL and more stress. In 2016 for example traffic was terrible. I know because I had a temp job in BK where I took Uber home almost every other day.

Even driving within Queens is an extreme hassle now. My mother got into a fender bender, it was declared a total loss and this was around 2019. She hasn't bought a replacement as she is retired and enjoys the freedom of not having a car.

The main people in NYC who benefit from a car is those who have young kids with lots extra curricular activities or elderly parents.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2022, 07:50 PM

6,387 posts, read 13,187,474 times
So the vax mandate is being lifted for athletes and entertainers in NYC but not regular workers. This is just ridiculous if true.

https://nypost.com/2022/03/23/mayor-...hletes-report/

Old 03-23-2022, 08:00 PM

3,955 posts, read 5,096,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocafeller05 View Post
So the vax mandate is being lifted for athletes and entertainers in NYC but not regular workers. This is just ridiculous if true.

https://nypost.com/2022/03/23/mayor-...hletes-report/
Sue the city.
Municipalities have not done so well in a great deal of these covid related lawsuits post state-of-emergencies.

Old 03-23-2022, 08:08 PM

6,699 posts, read 6,078,519 times
He did fold and reversed the decision to keep toddlers and children masked.

Keeping toddlers and children masked was a stupid decision since vaccines do not prevent the spread of COVID and children do not die of COVID - unless like everyone else, they have metabolic syndrome from poor diets - but that’s extremely rare as it takes time to develop metabolic illness.

Old 03-24-2022, 07:49 PM

32,014 posts, read 27,204,448 times
People are getting fed up with crime, dirt and overall sleaze, so increasingly they're packing up and getting eff out of Dodge...

https://nypost.com/2022/03/24/worker...assle-anymore/

Old 03-24-2022, 07:56 PM

2,948 posts, read 1,277,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
People are getting fed up with crime, dirt and overall sleaze, so increasingly they're packing up and getting eff out of Dodge...

https://nypost.com/2022/03/24/worker...assle-anymore/
This is all nonsense. Just keep track of housing prices. When they start falling, give me a call.
All these pronouncements of "people leaving" yet housing/rental prices climbing is just testament to the fact that the narrative is complete bull****.

Old 03-26-2022, 06:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esacni View Post
This is all nonsense. Just keep track of housing prices. When they start falling, give me a call.
All these pronouncements of "people leaving" yet housing/rental prices climbing is just testament to the fact that the narrative is complete bull****.
They're being replaced by new suckers. The question is how long that will last? NYC is not NYC anymore. There's no magic, only money and broken dreams from transplants and jaded locals.

Old 03-26-2022, 06:48 AM

2,948 posts, read 1,277,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tencent View Post
They're being replaced by new suckers. The question is how long that will last? NYC is not NYC anymore. There's no magic, only money and broken dreams from transplants and jaded locals.
What's "magic"? NYC isn't NYC? So if a middle class family bought a house/apt for $200-$500K in the mid to late 90s and it's now worth $1-$3MM, you think they're not happy? You don't think all of the households making 300K+ aren't happy? How about all of those living off the welfare state, not having to work too hard, yet having everything they need ?

The NYC of today definitely isn't as good as it was during Bloomberg's time but there's no mass exodus. I wish there was. I'd like.to buy a few properties on the cheap.

Old 03-26-2022, 09:39 AM

2,321 posts, read 1,167,316 times
Quote:

The two issues are unrelated. The real estate market is healthy because people are always willing to buy homes in desirable neighborhoods. So far that has increased home prices in NYC. I live on SI, and the SI home market is healthy here because SI is filled with safe quiet neighborhoods and reasonably good schools. A mixture of Chinese-Americans, Italian-Americans, Albanian-Americans and other white ethnics are buying up homes on SI. A 1-family home on my block sold in two weeks, a 2-family home across from that home sold in a few weeks.

Isn't it amazing how the Chinese-Americans, Italian-Americans, Albanian-Americans, etc all get along with each other? Groups that share middle-class values always get along with each other.

Old 03-26-2022, 10:42 AM

Quote:
but there's no mass exodus. I wish there was.
There was. They've been promptly replaced.

The building I used to live in lost 50% of it's long time residents. 90% of people in our new building are transplants.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City