Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2022, 03:51 PM

809 posts, read 471,604 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfc99 View Post
The two issues are unrelated. The real estate market is healthy because people are always willing to buy homes in desirable neighborhoods. So far that has increased home prices in NYC. I live on SI, and the SI home market is healthy here because SI is filled with safe quiet neighborhoods and reasonably good schools. A mixture of Chinese-Americans, Italian-Americans, Albanian-Americans and other white ethnics are buying up homes on SI. A 1-family home on my block sold in two weeks, a 2-family home across from that home sold in a few weeks.

Isn't it amazing how the Chinese-Americans, Italian-Americans, Albanian-Americans, etc all get along with each other? Groups that share middle-class values always get along with each other.
What?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2022, 03:59 PM

809 posts, read 471,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave 92 LSC View Post
Adams called me directly and asked me to come back to work.
I told him I would if he paid for my lunches from here on. Like a free lunch Debit card, $25 day limit.

He said he would get back to me.
France actually has this believe it or not along with mandatory commuter benefits (employer must purchase a transit pass for employees).

Old 03-27-2022, 12:36 PM

2,948 posts, read 1,263,864 times
Quote:
The two issues are unrelated. The real estate market is healthy because people are always willing to buy homes in desirable neighborhoods. So far that has increased home prices in NYC. I live on SI, and the SI home market is healthy here because SI is filled with safe quiet neighborhoods and reasonably good schools. A mixture of Chinese-Americans, Italian-Americans, Albanian-Americans and other white ethnics are buying up homes on SI. A 1-family home on my block sold in two weeks, a 2-family home across from that home sold in a few weeks.

Isn't it amazing how the Chinese-Americans, Italian-Americans, Albanian-Americans, etc all get along with each other? Groups that share middle-class values always get along with each other.
I'm not sure you have a good grasp of the NYC RE market. SI has some of the cheapest RE (per SQ ft) in all.of NYC. Have you seen prices of RE literally across the street from NYCHA in Brooklyn or Queens?

$1K/SQ ft to hear gunshots ring out from time to time. There's no mass exodus from this city.

Old 03-27-2022, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tencent View Post
There was. They've been promptly replaced.

The building I used to live in lost 50% of it's long time residents. 90% of people in our new building are transplants.
That's been the story of NYC for the past 30 years. Heavy outflows but even heavier inflows.

There's no mass exodus.

Old 03-27-2022, 01:26 PM

12,199 posts, read 7,234,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Esacni View Post
That's been the story of NYC for the past 30 years. Heavy outflows but even heavier inflows.

There's no mass exodus.
The city’s economy and jobs are the reason. If that goes south, it will start to see a population decline.

The heavy inflows came for the jobs / economic opportunities.

Old 03-27-2022, 01:29 PM

2,317 posts, read 1,155,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Esacni View Post
I'm not sure you have a good grasp of the NYC RE market. SI has some of the cheapest RE (per SQ ft) in all.of NYC. Have you seen prices of RE literally across the street from NYCHA in Brooklyn or Queens?

$1K/SQ ft to hear gunshots ring out from time to time. There's no mass exodus from this city.

New 2-family homes on the east shore of SI quickly sell in the $900K range. Re-sale 1-family homes in the $650K range depending on size. Those may be 'cheap' for NYC but still not cheap. SI has the longest commute so of course home prices will reflect that but no one on SI is complaining.

Old 03-27-2022, 04:03 PM

3,076 posts, read 5,503,351 times
I live on SI. most people I know can’t wait to leave.

Old 03-27-2022, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by antinimby View Post
The city’s economy and jobs are the reason. If that goes south, it will start to see a population decline.

The heavy inflows came for the jobs / economic opportunities.
What's your point? "IF". IF I was CEO of Tesla or Amazon, I'd be a billionaire but I'm not. So "IF", doesn't mean much.

Quote:
New 2-family homes on the east shore of SI quickly sell in the $900K range. Re-sale 1-family homes in the $650K range depending on size. Those may be 'cheap' for NYC but still not cheap. SI has the longest commute so of course home prices will reflect that but no one on SI is complaining.
I don't understand your point either. You initially pointed to SI RE and how it's so much safer (which it is). I'm simply telling you that crime isn't impacting RE prices in NYC at this point. Your $900K in SI, won't even buy a 1 bedroom, 700sq ft condo where the homeless roam around on that same block and their shelter is a quarter of a mile away.

Old 03-27-2022, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jen5276 View Post
I live on SI. most people I know can’t wait to leave.
Let's be honest. Those who love in SI, already had 1 foot out of the door. This was true even in the 90s and early 2000s when things were great. A certain buyer moves to SI. This has been true for decades.

Old 03-27-2022, 04:24 PM

19,060 posts, read 13,985,530 times
In the 90’s and 2000’s Staten Island was still well populated by natives. It’s the Brooklyn transplants who use it as a stopover to NJ. We’re all leaving now because a) the whole city blows goats and b) home values are too high to pass up the profit. I made $200,000 on a tiny townhouse. It’s sick.

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City