Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2022, 04:45 PM

2,948 posts, read 1,276,289 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
In the 90’s and 2000’s Staten Island was still well populated by natives. It’s the Brooklyn transplants who use it as a stopover to NJ. We’re all leaving now because a) the whole city blows goats and b) home values are too high to pass up the profit. I made $200,000 on a tiny townhouse. It’s sick.
When my parents were looking for a home in the late 90s, they looked at a few in SI and in South BK. The ones in SI were about $50K cheaper on average (about a 20 -25% discount to BK). My parents were looking there because we already had family that moved from BK to SI. This phenomenon was alive and well even in the late 90s.

My father was not to keen on SI though so chose south BK. Truth is those who bought in south BK made the right decision. Price appreciation has exceeded that of SI across all home types. Not that SI home prices haven't appreciated but the BK ones are now ahead 30-50% instead of 20-25% compared to he late 90s.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2022, 04:51 PM

2,321 posts, read 1,166,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jen5276 View Post
I live on SI. most people I know can’t wait to leave.

What part of SI? I'm in the New Dorp - Oakwood area and still like it here. My problem is more with NYC, not SI.

Old 03-27-2022, 05:01 PM

19,092 posts, read 14,056,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Esacni View Post
When my parents were looking for a home in the late 90s, they looked at a few in SI and in South BK. The ones in SI were about $50K cheaper on average (about a 20 -25% discount to BK). My parents were looking there because we already had family that moved from BK to SI. This phenomenon was alive and well even in the late 90s.

My father was not to keen on SI though so chose south BK. Truth is those who bought in south BK made the right decision. Price appreciation has exceeded that of SI across all home types. Not that SI home prices haven't appreciated but the BK ones are now ahead 30-50% instead of 20-25% compared to he late 90s.
In the 90’s they were building houses like mad on Staten Island. From late grammar school to the end of high school, we lost all of the woods we grew up running around in.

Lots of natives upgraded by selling their older homes to Brooklynites. And of course Brooklynites poured into the new ones as well.

Growing up, everyone I knew who moved stayed on the Island, moving to upgraded homes. Now everyone (me included) is leaving. For example, my father owned 4 different houses on the island. My mother 3.

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search

Old 03-27-2022, 08:36 PM

Quote:
In the 90’s they were building houses like mad on Staten Island. From late grammar school to the end of high school, we lost all of the woods we grew up running around in.

Lots of natives upgraded by selling their older homes to Brooklynites. And of course Brooklynites poured into the new ones as well.

Growing up, everyone I knew who moved stayed on the Island, moving to upgraded homes. Now everyone (me included) is leaving. For example, my father owned 4 different houses on the island. My mother 3.
Have no reason to believe or know that this isn't true but truth is that this who bought in BK, wound up making a lot more than in SI.

I'm not even talking about those that bought in places like Carrol Gardens, Windsor Terrace, Cobble Hill, Boerum Hill, etc.

Old 03-27-2022, 08:38 PM

I’m sure they did, that’s not the part I’m debunking. I’m talking about your first comment regarding islanders fleeing. It was the transplants who were transitory. Native islanders stayed, until recently.

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search

Old 03-27-2022, 08:54 PM

Quote:
I’m sure they did, that’s not the part I’m debunking. I’m talking about your first comment regarding islanders fleeing. It was the transplants who were transitory. Native islanders stayed, until recently.
I think it's hard to make that pronoucnement unless you personally knew of tens of thousands of cases that either left or didn't leave.

I guess anyone who lived there before the bridge opened up can be considered a "native" but there were only 200,000 people around that time. Either way, people moving isn't new. Most of the time, it's the children that move. Lots of current day SI's grew up in BK and purchased in SI because there either was. discount relative to BK or you got more per sq ft.

Old 03-28-2022, 03:54 AM

3,077 posts, read 5,512,241 times
Quote:
In the 90’s and 2000’s Staten Island was still well populated by natives. It’s the Brooklyn transplants who use it as a stopover to NJ. We’re all leaving now because a) the whole city blows goats and b) home values are too high to pass up the profit. I made $200,000 on a tiny townhouse. It’s sick.
Yep. This.

Old 03-28-2022, 05:10 AM

25,423 posts, read 37,189,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Berniess View Post
no way i'm commuting 2 hours a day to work. i am telling my manager i am afraid for my safety because of covid and crime violence. what can they do?
Fire you?

Old 03-28-2022, 07:41 AM

2,321 posts, read 1,166,180 times
Quote:

In the Grant City - New Dorp - Oakwood sections are among the most desirable on SI and homes command high prices and it's a mix of ex-Brooklynites and Staten Islanders buying up these detached 1-family and 2-family homes. In fact most of the SI neighborhoods of detached homes are doing well. Neighborhoods of semi-attached and townhomes doing less well but not hurting.

Old 03-28-2022, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfc99 View Post
In the Grant City - New Dorp - Oakwood sections are among the most desirable and homes command high prices and it's a mix of ex-Brooklynites and Staten Islanders buying up these 1-family and 2-family homes.
I know, that’s where I grew up, owned my first home and just recently left. I grew up on the same block as my father. My grandfather, father and me all owned our first homes in the same neighborhood. Except for my time in the Army, I spent my whole life less than 1 mile from an SIRR train station. Native Staten Islanders used to stay for generations.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City