Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2022, 02:26 PM

34,180 posts, read 47,478,853 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
My boss wants us back in the office in March, but only a few days a week. We've been WFH now for almost two years. A few days a week is fine, since I was going in unofficially before, but I'm NOT interested in going in every day. Absolutely not, and I would definitely make a stink about it. Most of my work can be done anywhere, so why do I need to schlepp to the office every day. Nope!
They need you to buy those $15 sandwiches in Midtown, come on, don't be like that

Forum TOS: https://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2022, 02:45 PM

12,792 posts, read 8,350,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
They need you to buy those $15 sandwiches in Midtown, come on, don't be like that
Hahah! I do splurge whenever I actually go to the office because now it's only once or twice a week at most, if that. $5+ cortado (they raised the price slightly). Went to La Colombe for one the other day. One of the baristas recognized me and said it's good to see you again. Pre-COVID, I have no idea what I spent in that place a month, but between coffee and pastries say 2-3 times a week... I'm guessing over a $100.00. I normally rotate between several coffee shops.

That's the other thing. I've become VERY comfortable cooking and eating at home at a fraction of the cost. Just buy groceries at Whole Foods and make brunch or whatever I want. It's as good as eating a restaurant. Yesterday I made a nice omelet, that was as good as the places I normally each brunch at. Even with the ingredients I used, it had to be a fraction of what I would pay at a restaurant. In December, I bought a bunch of new pots and pans... Some Staub pieces from France, some nice American cast iron pieces. I'm all set to cook whatever.

Old 02-19-2022, 02:59 PM

5,900 posts, read 3,010,097 times
Quote:
Yep. A proper lunch is about $15-18. Its nuts. I no longer tip.

Old 02-19-2022, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Hahah! I do splurge whenever I actually go to the office because now it's only once or twice a week at most, if that. $5+ cortado (they raised the price slightly). Went to La Colombe for one the other day. One of the baristas recognized me and said it's good to see you again. Pre-COVID, I have no idea what I spent in that place a month, but between coffee and pastries say 2-3 times a week... I'm guessing over a $100.00. I normally rotate between several coffee shops.

That's the other thing. I've become VERY comfortable cooking and eating at home at a fraction of the cost. Just buy groceries at Whole Foods and make brunch or whatever I want. It's as good as eating a restaurant. Yesterday I made a nice omelet, that was as good as the places I normally each brunch at. Even with the ingredients I used, it had to be a fraction of what I would pay at a restaurant. In December, I bought a bunch of new pots and pans... Some Staub pieces from France, some nice American cast iron pieces. I'm all set to cook whatever.
Haha, I hear you

I'm definitely seeing more kitchen time since the pandemic started

Old 02-19-2022, 03:42 PM

8,943 posts, read 4,799,652 times
Quote:
My boss wants us back in the office in March, but only a few days a week. We've been WFH now for almost two years. A few days a week is fine, since I was going in unofficially before, but I'm NOT interested in going in every day. Absolutely not, and I would definitely make a stink about it. Most of my work can be done anywhere, so why do I need to schlepp to the office every day. Nope!
Bwhahahaha. You work in finance, right? Same here with my office (asset management). The big kahuna wants everyone to come in (not just me and a handful of others who live in Midtown). lol. He's no longer living it up in the Hamptons, him and his family are back in town (Sutton Place) and hinting that because he's coming in, he wants everyone in!

Old 02-19-2022, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeran View Post
Bwhahahaha. You work in finance, right? Same here with my office (asset management). The big kahuna wants everyone to come in (not just me and a handful of others who live in Midtown). lol. He's no longer living it up in the Hamptons, him and his family are back in town (Sutton Place) and hinting that because he's coming in, he wants everyone in!
No, management. Do some business with the banks though, but not as much as pre-COVID. My boss hasn't been in at all, save once or twice. Their stance is they're paying rent on prime office space that is barely being used. We were offered the option of just working from home entirely and giving up the office space, but we didn't want that. Besides, we gave up a much bigger space for what we have now, so that's already a compromise.

Last edited by pierrepont7731; 02-19-2022 at 04:37 PM..

Old 02-19-2022, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave 92 LSC View Post
If you work in Midtown, it's always been pricey. The main difference now is we have a plethora of coffee options and actual good food options. Years ago, that was not the case. Pre-COVID, for me it was a cortado or espresso with a pastry for breakfast. Usually the coffee would be drank and I'd have the pastry for a snack at some point. That right there is $10-12 with tip. Then lunch. If you want to eat and not be starving a few hours later, you're going to have to cough up a good $20-25, especially if you get it delivered with tip, so yeah, on average I found myself spending $30-40 per day, not including if you're dead tired after a long day and decide to have dinner out or order delivery. It becomes expensive. With the specialty coffee shops, if you want something good, expect to pay $4+. Out of all of the coffee shops I frequent in Manhattan in the Midtown area, the only one that is at $4 now is Little Collins. Blue Bottle, La Colombe, Joe Coffee, Bluestone Lane and I believe Birch are all $4+... $5+ with tip. What's crazy to me is Café Grumpy is almost at $6.00 for a cortado, without tip, (I went to one once during the height of the pandemic only because nothing else was open and it was $5.17 for a cortado and I was like what?!? - haven't been in there since) which I refuse to pay, esp. considering that their coffee is just ok. Nothing mind blowing. I think Black Press Coffee is around $4 or a little more sans tip, but it's been a bit since I've been there.

The other specialty coffee places I frequent, mainly Italian... Same thing. You want a double macchiato? You're paying almost $5 now. Crazy. In Italy, I would get a double espresso for almost 1€ and throw in some change for the barista and you're set. Here, it's several times the price for quality coffee. Even Starbucks with the garbage they sell is raising their prices. lol

Old 02-19-2022, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave 92 LSC View Post
And I hated bringing lunch on the train. I'd rather starve all day than to bring lunch from home. It's just a thing, I never liked to do it but sometimes I did out of necessity.

Old 02-19-2022, 06:17 PM

5,900 posts, read 3,010,097 times
Quote:
And I hated bringing lunch on the train. I'd rather starve all day than to bring lunch from home. It's just a thing, I never liked to do it but sometimes I did out of necessity.
Bringing lunch is just another hassle. The perk of working in the city is you get all sorts of different option.
But $20 a day or so adds up.

Old 02-19-2022, 06:17 PM

Quote:
LOL! So what did you do? Buy food? Whenever I'm in your area in Tribeca, there are some places that are decent, but they are pricey overall. I rarely do any sort of trucks, with some exceptions, and even some of those aren't really cheap. Then you have the usual chains like Pret. You know what you are getting there, but the sandwiches are not that filling and they are $8-9 now. Grab a soup and it's easily around $16, not including any drink.

Sometimes in Midtown I would buy lunch from Whole Foods, but their food station is not what it used to be since Amazon took over. Better off buying the ingredients from Whole Foods and making my own sandwich.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City