Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2022, 10:44 PM

2,450 posts, read 978,348 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
Leftism is finally running up against a segment of society they cannot control, and it has no idea how to respond. lol
Glorious isn't it!?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2022, 05:25 AM
PVW

287 posts, read 166,315 times
I'd been working from home for years. The major transition from the pandemic was that the gyms closed down. That was when I bought my own gym equipment to use at home. I always cooked and baked anyway, but I used to stop by a place or two after working out.

Beyond that, the in-person meetings we used to have became teleconferences over our computers. Even that was a major improvement. Commuting for meetings? If it isn't the two minutes max to get from one side of the apartment to my home office, nope, not interested. I could log in to one meeting after the other without having to travel.

Avoiding the trains? I'm thankful. The last time I used my metrocard, it was last October. I made a note on my phone that I still had $4.25 on it. Forget Adams and his urging people to go back to the office.

Old 02-22-2022, 08:47 AM

2,321 posts, read 1,166,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
No, management. Do some business with the banks though, but not as much as pre-COVID. My boss hasn't been in at all, save once or twice. Their stance is they're paying rent on prime office space that is barely being used. We were offered the option of just working from home entirely and giving up the office space, but we didn't want that. Besides, we gave up a much bigger space for what we have now, so that's already a compromise.

Once all these pricey leases expire companies opposed to or ambivalent about WFH will totally embrace it. And not only in NYC.

Old 02-22-2022, 08:54 AM

2,321 posts, read 1,166,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
Leftism is finally running up against a segment of society they cannot control, and it has no idea how to respond. lol

Give the left some time. A NY state 'WFH equity tax', a 'WFH' surcharge on property taxes and water bills. After all those bad selfish WFH people are using their homes for their jobs and drink more water and flush their toilets more while working from home. Justice!

Old 02-22-2022, 09:03 AM

2,474 posts, read 1,241,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dfc99 View Post
Give the left some time. A NY state 'WFH equity tax', a 'WFH' surcharge on property taxes and water bills. After all those bad selfish WFH people are using their homes for their jobs and drink more water and flush their toilets more while working from home. Justice!
Ha, I think you are right...all in the name of Equity!!

Old 02-22-2022, 12:45 PM

19,092 posts, read 14,056,720 times
Quote:
Unfortunately this is 100% coming. NYC democrats have a MASSIVE amount of lower middle class and underclass voters to keep in line. The clearly racist/supremacist people who work hard and expect to enjoy the fruits of their labor are going to be targeted for this one.

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search

Old 02-22-2022, 12:53 PM

2,731 posts, read 6,131,264 times
As someone who is not working from home and dealing with people who are - they are not as productive as they think they are. Or maybe it's just that when they claim to be more productive they are speaking solely about their personal lives. If companies ever begin to care about what their clients think again there is either going to be a call back to the office or some way to get their employees to actually be working when they're supposed to be.

Old 02-22-2022, 02:46 PM

12 posts, read 5,517 times
Quote:
What about all the businesses that have already been closed or will be shuttered as more WFH?

How many Chinese food spots, laundromats, nail salons, masseuses , coffee and bagels shops, hot dogs carts have gone out of business already? your classism leads you to think that this will

only affect lower middle class and lower class folk. Eventually what will stop your employer from offshore outsourcing your job to china ,india, mexico , south america or eastern europe?

I work in technology, and my company already offshore outsources,and has been for years, significant work to Eastern Europe. In fact practically every white collar job is becoming a "tech job "

that can be offshore outsourced these days.

You are not the end all and be all of any company on earth. if you were that skilled it would be YOUR company.

Eventually your employers will offshore outsource your jobs overseas. As ive stated before I work in IT and we have been doing it for decades. Just like manufacturing (ever heard of the rust belt?)

People on every corner of this earth speak English and are capable of crunching numbers and running scripts.

And we havent even included the fact that A.I and automation will replace most of your jobs anyway , especially white collar clerical, accounting, finance and management.

The only jobs that are safe long-term are the ones that deal directly with the community. Think service-level medical such as RN, MD etc. Think cleaning and cooking . public servants.

You will reap what you sow.

Last edited by Mrmirror; 02-22-2022 at 03:20 PM..

Old 02-22-2022, 02:56 PM

19,092 posts, read 14,056,720 times
Oh man, I better start buying lunch again. It’s my duty to support the hotdog guy! Bwahahhahaha

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search

Old 02-22-2022, 02:58 PM

12 posts, read 5,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish Eyes View Post
As someone who is not working from home and dealing with people who are - they are not as productive as they think they are. Or maybe it's just that when they claim to be more productive they are speaking solely about their personal lives. If companies ever begin to care about what their clients think again there is either going to be a call back to the office or some way to get their employees to actually be working when they're supposed to be.

Yes what we have going on here is an echo chamber of braggarts who get to work from home and look down on the peasants that actually do have to visit the office.

but alas, most of civilized society does still have to schelp to the office (medical , research,manufacturing, logistics, IT data centers, teachers ,public servants such as police firefighters etc)

the cat is out of the bag,and has been for decades... any type of true white collar job especially in finance can be offshore outsourced overseas or replaced by automation.

Last edited by Mrmirror; 02-22-2022 at 03:30 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City