Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2022, 06:06 AM

8,935 posts, read 4,759,816 times

Advertisements

EVERYTHING IS TOO DAMN HIGH: Housing costs putting many NYC families on the brink.

With the eviction moratorium now a memory, thousands of New Yorkers now find themselves facing eviction for back rent, at a time when housing prices keep going up.

I know from members of my book club that they got letters notifying them that their rent is going up 33%. But, to be fair owners have also gotten letters notifying them that their insurance, water bill and property tax has also increased. It's going to get ugly.

https://www.amny.com/business/everyt...-on-the-brink/

EVERYTHING IS TOO DAMN HIGH: Gas prices leave New York City drivers, businesses feeling inflation pain at the pump

https://www.amny.com/business/everyt...-pain-at-pump/

EVERYTHING IS TOO DAMN HIGH: Why New Yorkers are paying more for groceries to feed their families with The Bronx labeled as "the hungriest borough".

I've noticed that not only are the prices increasing but the items are getting smaller & thinner. They're trying to be slick.

https://www.amny.com/business/everyt...heir-families/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2022, 09:18 AM

1 posts, read 1,045 times
It is because of the unauthorized workers in NYC. They take jobs, they invade business sectors, they depress the wages of legal citizens. They force rents to go up for legal citizens. They overcrowded everything.

Unauthorized people are a total economic poison pill. They are the #1 top reason New Yorkers struggle to pay for everything today. If you removed all of the unauthorized people the US economy would be restored rapidly.

Old 03-10-2022, 11:51 AM

3,348 posts, read 1,235,519 times
people didn't pay rent for almost 2 years. anyone who feels bad for them getting evicted now is a fool. anyone who rents to these people in the future is also a fool.

Old 03-10-2022, 02:03 PM

8,935 posts, read 4,759,816 times
NYC one-bedroom apartments are now more expensive than before the pandemic.
It's not only Manhattan. B'klyn and Queens is up there too.

https://www.timeout.com/newyork/news...ryName=DM17367

Old 03-10-2022, 03:00 PM

11,198 posts, read 9,075,645 times
Who was that poster that kept saying "NYC is done. put a fork in it! last one to leave turn the lights off!"

LOL...

Old 03-11-2022, 06:53 AM

1,274 posts, read 978,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJinsouthernCO View Post
It is because of the unauthorized workers in NYC. They take jobs, they invade business sectors, they depress the wages of legal citizens. They force rents to go up for legal citizens. They overcrowded everything.

Unauthorized people are a total economic poison pill. They are the #1 top reason New Yorkers struggle to pay for everything today. If you removed all of the unauthorized people the US economy would be restored rapidly.
How can they depress wages, and simultaneously force rents to go up, when that is only possible if someone has higher purchasing power, therefore higher wages?

I would be surprised if unauthorized workers could take any of the jobs that would be high in pay, enough to push rents to go up on a location.

In short, I think you have to choose:
- It's either they take the jobs, invade business sectors and depress the wages of legal citizens, or more likely legally authorized workers
- Or they take the jobs, invade business sectors and get higher pay than legally authorized workers, therefore sky rocketing the rents

If that statement about overcrowding affecting rents was true, then they should not be able to increase higher end rents. But rents in the city are very high, even on the higher end: that's probably because there are people able to pay them, and those are not unauthorized workers.

In general, I think the focus on illegal workforce is too much compared to what it really is. Those are the jobs not many people would want to do anyway. And finally, as my father used to say, "you need some plankton for the sea life to be sustainable". One day, people will realize that removing the plankton to actually make the sea clean is equivalent to signing their death sentence.

There are other priorities a society has to take care of.

Last edited by Gasolin; 03-11-2022 at 07:02 AM..

Old 03-11-2022, 08:20 AM

12,788 posts, read 8,279,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gasolin View Post
How can they depress wages, and simultaneously force rents to go up, when that is only possible if someone has higher purchasing power, therefore higher wages?

I would be surprised if unauthorized workers could take any of the jobs that would be high in pay, enough to push rents to go up on a location.

- It's either they take the jobs, invade business sectors and depress the wages of legal citizens, or more likely legally authorized workers
- Or they take the jobs, invade business sectors and get higher pay than legally authorized workers, therefore sky rocketing the rents

If that statement about overcrowding affecting rents was true, then they should not be able to increase higher end rents. But rents in the city are very high, even on the higher end: that's probably because there are people able to pay them, and those are not unauthorized workers.

In general, I think the focus on illegal workforce is too much compared to what it really is. Those are the jobs not many people would want to do anyway. And finally, as my father used to say, "you need some plankton for the sea life to be sustainable". One day, people will realize that removing the plankton to actually make the sea clean is equivalent to signing their death sentence.

For starters, any cheap housing they take up and thus you have more strain to create more affordable housing. Second, they are willing to work for less. If you have a licensed electrician that's part of a union that makes $60-80 an hour and a non-union guy that is willing to work under the table for less, there will be a market for the guy willing to work for less.

Old 03-11-2022, 10:12 AM

2,328 posts, read 1,026,428 times
H1B visa farms.

Old 03-11-2022, 04:30 PM

1,952 posts, read 1,299,077 times
Everything has increased. Buying stuff, fixing stuff. Utilities. Not to mention these stupid politicians who make doing business everywhere prohibitive.

Politicians don't provide jobs or housing. Neither do they provide goods. The services that gov't agencies provide is beyond poor.

But people want to vote the same. So I guess they are happy in the struggle life.

Rent also went up because the govt hiked the amount paid by these housing vouchers and are also paying landlord bonuses to take people with vouchers. See that crazy transgender lady who twice murdered someone. clearly looks homeless and deranged and was still able to score an apartment.

NYC will be for the super poor and extremely rich soon enough.

Old 03-11-2022, 04:33 PM

1,464 posts, read 755,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gasolin View Post

Plenty of people skip the big contractors and hire the handy man paying less. But the handy man is getting paid cash and can pay higher rent than a taxed pay check. Thus they have more purchasing power.

Cash for a job handyman vs a contractor taxed employee. Imagine the purchasing power difference. It’s the same with any cash business.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: