Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2022, 01:18 PM

6,680 posts, read 6,022,713 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honda718 View Post
Isn't Pepper Spray illegal in NYC?
It has to say, "New York Grade" on it. I say, forget the pepper spray - get bear spray!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2022, 01:37 PM

106,573 posts, read 108,713,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stormgal View Post
It has to say, "New York Grade" on it. I say, forget the pepper spray - get bear spray!
Bear spray is not legal in the city .

Whether you care is another thing , plus the canisters are much larger and shoot farther making the odds greater of hitting others

10 NYCRR 54.3. Requirements.

Every self-defense spray device which is purchased, possessed or used in
New York State shall satisfy all of the following requirements:

(a) Every self-defense spray device shall contain oleoresin capsicum,and no other substance, as the active ingredient.

(b) The contents of every self-defense spray device shall not contain more than 0.7 percent by weight total capsaicinoids."

The penalty for using bear spray is:

Because unlawfully possessing a noxious material is a class B misdemeanor if you are convicted you could be sent to jail for up to 3 months and you may be ordered to pay a fine of up to $500. It is also possible that in lieu of jail the court may order you to serve a probation term of 1 year

Last edited by mathjak107; 04-05-2022 at 01:54 PM..

Old 04-05-2022, 07:09 PM

1,052 posts, read 451,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
Bear spray is not legal in the city .

Whether you care is another thing , plus the canisters are much larger and shoot farther making the odds greater of hitting others

10 NYCRR 54.3. Requirements.

Every self-defense spray device which is purchased, possessed or used in
New York State shall satisfy all of the following requirements:

(a) Every self-defense spray device shall contain oleoresin capsicum,and no other substance, as the active ingredient.

(b) The contents of every self-defense spray device shall not contain more than 0.7 percent by weight total capsaicinoids."

The penalty for using bear spray is:

Because unlawfully possessing a noxious material is a class B misdemeanor if you are convicted you could be sent to jail for up to 3 months and you may be ordered to pay a fine of up to $500. It is also possible that in lieu of jail the court may order you to serve a probation term of 1 year
Serious question - what, then, is a legally acceptable way of defending yourself in NYC? Suppose a thug on the subway tries to mug me or do me physical harm and I use pepper spray on him? What if I hit him with a hammer? Given that ordinary, law abiding citizens in New York are basically not allowed to have a firearm for concealed carry, the options are limited.

Old 04-05-2022, 08:53 PM

6,680 posts, read 6,022,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by minnomaboidenapolis View Post
Serious question - what, then, is a legally acceptable way of defending yourself in NYC? Suppose a thug on the subway tries to mug me or do me physical harm and I use pepper spray on him? What if I hit him with a hammer? Given that ordinary, law abiding citizens in New York are basically not allowed to have a firearm for concealed carry, the options are limited.
“Grade NYC” pepper spray. I bought one but NYC grade is kind of small.

Old 04-06-2022, 12:07 AM

978 posts, read 673,115 times
So I’m supposed to follow the rules, when some savage who is t following the rules or sprays me with bear spray?
No thanks, I’ll carry anything non lethal that is deemed illegal in nyc. Bear spray? No problem.
Actually, wasp nest spray works good too I hear, and it’s legal

Old 04-06-2022, 01:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by minnomaboidenapolis View Post
Everything is a different shade of grey , it’s never black and white ..if he has just his hands , you can have just your hands ..if he has a stick you can can have a stick , and so on and so on.

Ny self defense laws are based on an equal use of force …..

Last edited by mathjak107; 04-06-2022 at 03:07 AM..

Old 04-06-2022, 03:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormgal View Post
“Grade NYC” pepper spray. I bought one but NYC grade is kind of small.
The laws specify that they can’t be any bigger then fits in a normal pocket

Old 04-06-2022, 03:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by homestead123 View Post
So I’m supposed to follow the rules, when some savage who is t following the rules or sprays me with bear spray?
No thanks, I’ll carry anything non lethal that is deemed illegal in nyc. Bear spray? No problem.
Actually, wasp nest spray works good too I hear, and it’s legal
Wrong , wasp spray is not legal .

It is a violation of federal law to use a pesticide in a manner that differs from the product labeling (and it is labeled for wasps, hornets, yellow jackets) if there was a reaction like blindness you could have big problem..

1. There’s no research to suggest wasp spray would stop an attacker.

2. Using a pesticide in a manner other than according to labeled directions is a violation of federal law (the Federal Insecticide, Fungicide, and Rodenticide Act).

3. It is illegal (finable offense) for anyone to recommend a use other than the labeled use.

4. Personal liability is likely to be significant for a person who deliberately sprays another person with a pesticide.

If it happens to cause, say retina damage to an eye, you have then used deadly force because permanent, serious physical injuries resulted. Since it is not approved for humans and never tested on humans you do not have the defense you would if O.C Spray cause the same result.

5. Pesticides such as wasp spray have not been tested on humans. Direct human toxicity data comes from records of accidental exposures and suicide attempts.
6. Poison control records document an amazing number of people who have accidentally sprayed themselves or innocent bystanders when using aerosol cans. An emergency may exacerbate that reaction.

Old 04-06-2022, 04:11 PM

8,935 posts, read 4,759,816 times
Pepper spray combined with basic self-defense training would make a better combo.
Flushing fitness center and Asian real estate organization partner to host self-defense training class for women

https://qns.com/2022/04/flushing-fit...ass-for-women/

Old 04-06-2022, 04:17 PM

Most civilians don’t train enough to make self defense skills useful .

How you train is how you fight , always
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City