Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2022, 05:18 PM

593 posts, read 470,604 times

Advertisements

In a sudden violent situation, pepper spray is not likely to help much. The victim would most likely not be able to deploy it quickly and aim it accurately. It's something that requires practice and ability to stay calm (and not have hands shaking) while being threatened or attacked.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2022, 05:57 PM

12,201 posts, read 7,223,380 times
^ Good point, and depending on wind direction, the spray might blow back on you and make matters way worse for you.

Old 04-07-2022, 03:19 AM

106,656 posts, read 108,810,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluttereagle View Post
In a sudden violent situation, pepper spray is not likely to help much. The victim would most likely not be able to deploy it quickly and aim it accurately. It's something that requires practice and ability to stay calm (and not have hands shaking) while being threatened or attacked.
Pepper spray is a false sense of security , especially the little civilian ones where you can’t operate the button once your fight or flight reflex kicks in and you lose fine motor skills.

It requires a stream in to the eyes as well , which makes it even harder then a man peeing in the dark and actually hitting the bowl. Lol

Old 04-07-2022, 09:26 AM

978 posts, read 674,815 times
Wasp spray is indeed legal. Just like a bat in the car is legal.
You jump me? You might get sprayed.
So, I can’t legally defend myself with wasp spray, from a savage hitting me with a brick? But I can legally bite their ear off in self defense??
I’m just trying to clarify

Old 04-07-2022, 09:30 AM

817 posts, read 628,146 times
During the LA riots in 1992, many Koreans armed themselves and protected their businesses from thugs. I don't know about the gun laws in NYC but I just hope some Asian there is packing heat and blows their attackers away, pepper spray can only do so much. Seeing a video recently of an elderly Asian getting their head stomped on over 100 times made my blood boil.

Old 04-07-2022, 09:34 AM

978 posts, read 674,815 times
Speaking of bear spray effectiveness.
Cut to 7:48 where the perp gets a face full.
https://youtu.be/XO1pIHo9Z9E

Old 04-07-2022, 09:50 AM

106,656 posts, read 108,810,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by homestead123 View Post
Wasp spray is indeed legal. Just like a bat in the car is legal.
You jump me? You might get sprayed.
So, I can’t legally defend myself with wasp spray, from a savage hitting me with a brick? But I can legally bite their ear off in self defense??
I’m just trying to clarify
You are confusing the item with illegal use of that item

Also a bat has no specific use banning its use in self defense , wasp spray does..

Wasp spray being a pesticide falls under federal noxious use laws

So wasp spray used for self defense is not legal …it breaks federal law so while you may want to use it for self defense don’t spread misinformation about it being legal for such purpose.

Federal law says it is not legal to use it for other than it’s stated use.

A bat in the car is legal but it’s use for hitting something other than a ball may not be legal ..beat an unarmed person with it and see how fast you are charged

As i I said

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
Wrong , wasp spray is not legal .

It is a violation of federal law to use a pesticide in a manner that differs from the product labeling (and it is labeled for wasps, hornets, yellow jackets) if there was a reaction like blindness you could have big problem..

1. There’s no research to suggest wasp spray would stop an attacker.

2. Using a pesticide in a manner other than according to labeled directions is a violation of federal law (the Federal Insecticide, Fungicide, and Rodenticide Act).

3. It is illegal (finable offense) for anyone to recommend a use other than the labeled use.

4. Personal liability is likely to be significant for a person who deliberately sprays another person with a pesticide.

If it happens to cause, say retina damage to an eye, you have then used deadly force because permanent, serious physical injuries resulted. Since it is not approved for humans and never tested on humans you do not have the defense you would if O.C Spray cause the same result.

5. Pesticides such as wasp spray have not been tested on humans. Direct human toxicity data comes from records of accidental exposures and suicide attempts.
6. Poison control records document an amazing number of people who have accidentally sprayed themselves or innocent bystanders when using aerosol cans. An emergency may exacerbate that reaction.

Last edited by mathjak107; 04-07-2022 at 10:36 AM..

Old 04-08-2022, 09:43 PM

15,592 posts, read 15,669,164 times
Not much interested in just pepper. Let me know when Chinatown is giving out free salt and pepper shrimp.

Old 04-09-2022, 10:24 AM

34,088 posts, read 47,285,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Satyrical View Post
Will this really help or just make people feel safer?
You started the thread. I would like to know how do you feel about this?

Forum TOS: https://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 04-10-2022, 11:07 AM

215 posts, read 200,484 times
even better is a little hand held device made by sabrered.com which is affordable. upon being activated by a mere fingertip, it releases an earshattering sound similar to a gestapo team of soldiers invading the area. it's a lot less messy than pepper spray. also, i think mace is illegal in nyc currently, as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City