Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2022, 09:45 AM

2,679 posts, read 1,712,387 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esacni View Post
You're contradicting yourself.

If trauma is the cause of violent crime, then why are there plenty (I'm much greater numbers) of people in NYC who experienced said "traumas" and do not commit violent crime?

No one buys this bull**** argument apart from the same subset who condones this behavior or the offending community (as a defensive mechanism).

When the Italian mob was around, did the gangsters act based on
"Traumas"? I've never really heard an Italian person excuse their behavior because of "traumas".

In fact, I used to work with a colleague whose father was fresh of the boat from Italy (got deported once and came back) who ran a " social club" for members. Never once heard him excuse what the mob did because of "traumas".

I have another experiment for you. Go to south Brooklyn and ask the eastern Europeans and Albanians about criminals amongst their ranks and if they do what they do because of "trauma". My hunch is they'll.laugh in your face and think you're psychologically compromised.

You excuse the behavior as due to "traumas" because you don't like to hold your own community responsible. "God forbid I make the whiteys feel like they're right..." Don't worry about what others think. If your own community wanted to solve this problem, it could. The first step is to admit there's a problem
His argument was that incarceration is big business and a money making machine and it is.

You’re going off on a rail just as much as you claim others do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2022, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WithDisp View Post
Niger, Chad, Uganda, Ethiopia, likely have minimal welfare programs- but the highest birth rates around.
Poor people make more poor people- we should be discouraging the root of generational poverty and certainly not incentivizing it with more state-funded welfare schemes; but the problem exists well without those.
I know plenty of Ethiopians and they’re very nice people and not violent criminals at all.

You are disgusting.

Old 04-12-2022, 09:50 AM

25,439 posts, read 37,289,554 times
"Becoming the NORM?"

3/8,804,190 = .000003407468%, hardly a norm.

Old 04-12-2022, 09:57 AM

Quote:
You're contradicting yourself.

If trauma is the cause of violent crime, then why are there plenty (I'm much greater numbers) of people in NYC who experienced said "traumas" and do not commit violent crime?

No one buys this bull**** argument apart from the same subset who condones this behavior or the offending community (as a defensive mechanism).

When the Italian mob was around, did the gangsters act based on
"Traumas"? I've never really heard an Italian person excuse their behavior because of "traumas".

In fact, I used to work with a colleague whose father was fresh of the boat from Italy (got deported once and came back) who ran a " social club" for members. Never once heard him excuse what the mob did because of "traumas".

I have another experiment for you. Go to south Brooklyn and ask the eastern Europeans and Albanians about criminals amongst their ranks and if they do what they do because of "trauma". My hunch is they'll.laugh in your face and think you're psychologically compromised.

You excuse the behavior as due to "traumas" because you don't like to hold your own community responsible. "God forbid I make the whiteys feel like they're right..." Don't worry about what others think. If your own community wanted to solve this problem, it could. The first step is to admit there's a problem
Italian mobsters don’t exactly act like operate like street gangs, solely for protection, a sense of belonging, and some sort of affirmation of themselves (I certainly could be wrong, admittedly).

Trauma and psychological damage is certainly linked to anti social behavior and family dysfunction. Any psychologist with a brain knows this.

No one is also blaming white folks. It’s already known that underprivileged groups have higher rates of crime.

Last edited by Relaxx; 04-12-2022 at 10:26 AM..

Old 04-12-2022, 03:21 PM

2,948 posts, read 1,291,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Relaxx View Post
His argument was that incarceration is big business and a money making machine and it is.

You’re going off on a rail just as much as you claim others do.
Incarceration being a business doesn't mean much in this context. Were discussing what leads people to commit crimes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Relaxx View Post
Italian mobsters don’t exactly act like operate like street gangs, solely for protection, a sense of belonging, and some sort of affirmation of themselves (I certainly could be wrong, admittedly).

Trauma and psychological damage is certainly linked to anti social behavior and family dysfunction. Any psychologist with a brain knows this.

No one is also blaming white folks. It’s already known that underprivileged groups have higher rates of crime.
There are plenty of people who experience trauma and psychological damage who do not commit crimes. In fact, there are more of these people than those that do.

Trauma and psychological damage is correlated with criminal behavior. That doesn't mean it has a causative effect. In fact, the roof is simple. There are more people who experience trauma and psychological damage that do not commit crimes.

You can't claim trauma and psychological damage force people to commit crimes and then ignore the much larger group of people who experience the same and do not indulge in criminal behavior.

It's called arguing in bad faith.

Old 04-12-2022, 03:24 PM

2,948 posts, read 1,291,308 times

Old 04-12-2022, 07:23 PM

34,189 posts, read 47,607,325 times
Quote:
Trauma and psychological damage is correlated with criminal behavior. That doesn't mean it has a causative effect. In fact, the roof is simple. There are more people who experience trauma and psychological damage that do not commit crimes.
Post the proof

Forum TOS: https://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 04-12-2022, 07:26 PM

162 posts, read 71,589 times
The Bronx.

Old 04-20-2022, 10:54 AM

79 posts, read 54,246 times
This is the reality and it's sad

Old 04-20-2022, 01:54 PM

957 posts, read 1,112,105 times
I got a great Idea.
Drum roll
Make more gun laws.
Please skip the lie about ghost guns.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: