Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-23-2022, 10:56 AM

5,208 posts, read 4,666,583 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foamposite View Post
NYC feels mostly back to normal but I do notice the bars (while open thankfully) are less crowded than they were when they reopened but before these Covid wave scares

So while we're much closer to pre pandemic norms than we were in 2020 or 2021, there is still a large chunk of the population who is social distancing. And New York is maintaining the mask mandate on public transit, which in my opinion is one of the last obstacles to really going back to normal
I doubt social distancing is the reason bars are less crowded. Bars always had a younger crowd and this demographic hasn't really been social distancing. The more likely reason is international tourism has not returned and only about 30-40% of the people have returned back to the office. This is the same reason subways are not as crowded as before. Who really avoids riding the subways just because of masking requirement? If anything, it's the fear of violence or encountering aggressive panhandlers
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2022, 11:50 AM

3,480 posts, read 1,403,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Werdywerd View Post
Do you really think that is still happening with Omicron?
Lower risk, yes…. But still a risk! And Omicron is not really a weaker variant, but the reason it’s a lower risk is because of the booster shots. Some of us did not get the booster shot because I don’t think it’s healthy for the body to be receiving so many of these shots so frequently, despite what the experts claim. So many of us that didn’t get the booster can get severe illness from Omicron.

Last edited by TheWiseShopper; 04-23-2022 at 12:18 PM..

Old 04-23-2022, 12:17 PM

6,681 posts, read 6,022,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWiseShopper View Post
Lower risk, yes…. But still a risk!
Everything is a risk. From eating a salad and getting sick with parasites or salmonella to taking an Uber and getting in a car accident. Just go out and live your life. I cannot imagine living in fear 24/7

Old 04-23-2022, 01:08 PM

6,222 posts, read 3,593,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adhom View Post
I doubt social distancing is the reason bars are less crowded. Bars always had a younger crowd and this demographic hasn't really been social distancing. The more likely reason is international tourism has not returned and only about 30-40% of the people have returned back to the office. This is the same reason subways are not as crowded as before. Who really avoids riding the subways just because of masking requirement? If anything, it's the fear of violence or encountering aggressive panhandlers
I do remember bars becoming significantly less crowded during the Omicron "scare" so I figured this just happened again recently, but to a smaller scale

Yes young people are less likely to social distance but a lot of them (especially in a very, very left leaning city like NYC) still do it.

Old 04-23-2022, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormgal View Post
Everything is a risk. From eating a salad and getting sick with parasites or salmonella to taking an Uber and getting in a car accident. Just go out and live your life. I cannot imagine living in fear 24/7
And what if I get Covid, have little to no symptoms but then pass on the virus to an old lady who is immunocompromised and has underlying conditions? Yes, we have to think of other people besides ourselves…

It’s not so much about living in fear, but more so about protecting public health!

Old 04-23-2022, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foamposite View Post
I do remember bars becoming significantly less crowded during the Omicron "scare" so I figured this just happened again recently, but to a smaller scale

Yes young people are less likely to social distance but a lot of them (especially in a very, very left leaning city like NYC) still do it.
I never understood the difficultly in social distancing and why very few people do it. That’s another very easy thing to do that could’ve slowed the spread of this virus.

Old 04-23-2022, 05:12 PM

2,605 posts, read 1,205,579 times
Quote:
Some of us did not get the booster shot because I don’t think it’s healthy for the body to be receiving so many of these shots so frequently, despite what the experts claim. So many of us that didn’t get the booster can get severe illness from Omicron.
So, you don't "trust the science", eh?

Old 04-23-2022, 06:00 PM

3,730 posts, read 3,461,317 times
Quote:
And Omicron is not really a weaker variant, but the reason it’s a lower risk is because of the booster shots.
Fact: It's less pathogenic

Fact (from personal experience) the vaccine does very little to affect it in any way. I have countless friends and family who caught omicron and they ALL report that it was basically sniffles and sore throat. 50% Vaccinated, 50% not vaccinated.

They are selling you the "The vaccine helps lower severity" because they don't want anyone thinking it no longer works. Money and investments are at stake. Also the Gov't's around the world don't want to look like they got it wrong.

Vaccines worked for Alpha - Delta but Omicron is a completely different disease. If the vaccines worked for it, they wouldn't be currently testing an Omicron Specific vaccine.

Omicron is the airborne vaccine we couldn't make - Bill Gates

Old 04-23-2022, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2020's YouTube Vlog View Post
So, you don't "trust the science", eh?
I trust the vaccine, I just don’t trust in taking too much of anything. Just like Tylenol. It’s a great medicine and that works with pain relief, but I try to avoid taking too much of it.

Old 04-23-2022, 11:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Werdywerd View Post
Fact: It's less pathogenic

Fact (from personal experience) the vaccine does very little to affect it in any way. I have countless friends and family who caught omicron and they ALL report that it was basically sniffles and sore throat. 50% Vaccinated, 50% not vaccinated.

They are selling you the "The vaccine helps lower severity" because they don't want anyone thinking it no longer works. Money and investments are at stake. Also the Gov't's around the world don't want to look like they got it wrong.

Vaccines worked for Alpha - Delta but Omicron is a completely different disease. If the vaccines worked for it, they wouldn't be currently testing an Omicron Specific vaccine.

Omicron is the airborne vaccine we couldn't make - Bill Gates

Not exactly correct. Vaccines work for ALL variants, but the way it works varies. With Alpha, it prevented infection. With Delta, it still prevents infection, but due to higher viral loads, asymptomatic breakthrough cases can happen. With Omicron, it does not prevent infection, but keeps you out of the hospital PROVIDED you get a booster shot.

Yes, it sucks that the vaccines can't prevent you from catching Omicron, but it still keeps you from getting severely ill. So the vaccine is still doing what it's supposed to do!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City