Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-22-2022, 10:57 PM

79 posts, read 53,266 times

Advertisements

I think it's much less right now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2022, 09:54 AM

2,614 posts, read 1,211,224 times
We must completely eradicate the VIRUS.

What that means is MORE MASKS!

Put MASKS on every man, woman, child, elderly person, tourist, dog, and cat in NYC. Heck even put MASKS on plants and rocks while we're at it!

No Soup For You...But MASKS FOR ALL !

Old 05-23-2022, 10:04 AM

3,058 posts, read 3,822,564 times
Really want to be free and not worry about whatever virus they foist upon us? Move out of NYC. It's really that simple. Trading even a 6 figure salary for your freedom isn't worth it.

Economically speaking:

If the chit doesn't hit the fan, you're stuck in a garbage filled, graffitied concrete jungle that only seems to get worse, yet more expensive, with each passing year. Best case scenario.

If the chit DOES hit the fan, where are you going to get fresh water? Fresh food? Fighting with 8 million others for vegetables and meat?

Old 05-23-2022, 10:12 AM

35,034 posts, read 16,978,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWiseShopper View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by djohnslaw View Post
Most people understood and were fine with shutdowns early on but think we should have opened up way sooner than we did.
Yeah the whole reopening in phases was just ridiculous. Once the virus is out there and not completely eradicated, it will just wait around and spread again when we open up. And that’s what happened. We were at like extremely low numbers during the summer of 2020 (practically almost no cases) and look where we are now!
djohnslaw, that was exactly what I thought and what my wife said. The fact is, it's extremely easy, and demonstrative of "leadership" to yell "for G-d sake, shut everything down" and then carve out "essential" exceptions. It takes courage to admit what TheWiseShopper is saying, that the shutdown didn't accomplish much and that the authorities might as well "let it rip." It sounds uncompassionate, but small business owners are people too.
Quote:
Originally Posted by VintageSunlight View Post
Really want to be free and not worry about whatever virus they foist upon us? Move out of NYC. It's really that simple. Trading even a 6 figure salary for your freedom isn't worth it.

Economically speaking:

If the chit doesn't hit the fan, you're stuck in a garbage filled, graffitied concrete jungle that only seems to get worse, yet more expensive, with each passing year. Best case scenario.

If the chit DOES hit the fan, where are you going to get fresh water? Fresh food? Fighting with 8 million others for vegetables and meat?
Monkeypox anyone?

Old 05-23-2022, 11:00 AM

3,487 posts, read 1,406,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djohnslaw View Post
no you don't.
i mean if you're in a meeting or a poker game and want to be safe then go ahead. walking through a store why bother?you're not gonna get it from walking by someone for 2 seconds.

Yeah that's what I did yesterday. It was too hot to wear a mask, even indoors, so I took it off and surrendered. So much for practicing what I preached. If I got Covid, I have nobody to blame but myself.

But I did wear it on the subway. NYC subway is so dirty and I'm near people in closer proximity for a longer period, so I should definitely continue wearing one there...

Old 05-23-2022, 12:18 PM

2,614 posts, read 1,211,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWiseShopper View Post
Yeah that's what I did yesterday. It was too hot to wear a mask, even indoors, so I took it off and surrendered. So much for practicing what I preached. If I got Covid, I have nobody to blame but myself.

But I did wear it on the subway. NYC subway is so dirty and I'm near people in closer proximity for a longer period, so I should definitely continue wearing one there...
I ALWAYS wear my mask every minute of every hour of every day.

Old 05-23-2022, 12:51 PM

35,034 posts, read 16,978,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2020's YouTube Vlog View Post
Even when you're asleep?

Old 05-23-2022, 01:48 PM

Quote:
We must completely eradicate the VIRUS.

What that means is MORE MASKS!

Put MASKS on every man, woman, child, elderly person, tourist, dog, and cat in NYC. Heck even put MASKS on plants and rocks while we're at it!

No Soup For You...But MASKS FOR ALL !
I will not wear a mask.... EVER! Nobody ain't gonna tell me what to do!

Old 05-23-2022, 01:59 PM

Quote:

LOL, you're too funny, man!

In all seriousness though, I'm willing to meet you guys half way and say that in most circumstances where the risk is low, it might be ok to not wear a mask. As djohnslaw said, when in a store and you're just walking by people, the risk is low. So in that case, I don't think it's a big deal to be maskless. But in congregate settings (such as church or in-person meeting/conference) or public transportation, then it might be wise to wear one since the risk is higher. You're around more people and for a longer period of time.

So I think we've gotten to the point where we need to live with this virus and so, we probably should still wear masks in certain circumstances where the risk is high. And being alone in a car or standing alone outdoors are NOT one of those circumstances!

That's just my 2 cents.

Old 05-23-2022, 02:19 PM

1,952 posts, read 1,299,926 times
We are traveling through Europe. Life is back to normal. The only people we see wearing masks are Americans and a few asians (who wore masks pre-covid). It is so liberating and refreshing to enjoy "normal" life again.

Some countries arent even checking vaccination status or requesting testing for entry.

We actually discussed moving here. (Not just because of COVID). The quality of life is so much better
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City