Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-21-2022, 11:40 AM

19,031 posts, read 13,944,967 times

Advertisements

Outside of NYC, we’ve been past covid for ages. Like well over a year.

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2022, 01:11 PM

828 posts, read 766,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWiseShopper View Post
After this thread has gone from page to page debating about masks, I'm going to go back to the OP's original question because I took two trips outside NYC over the weekend. I went out to Long Island on Saturday and then to New Jersey on Monday, since I was off that day for the holiday. I was very surprised that almost everyone was not wearing a mask in both those areas I went to. Occasionally, I may see one person wearing one, but very very rare. It's pretty amazing discovering how everyone outside NYC has moved on from Covid. It's only NYC where you still encounter quite a number of people wearing masks, both indoors and outdoors.

So given that it was too awkward to wear one when no one else was wearing one, I decided not to wear one during my trips. It felt good finally living life where Covid no longer exists.

Having said that, I will still wear a mask indoors here in NYC. I kinda shook off my fear when I went maskless over the weekend, but some NYC people still don't like it when people around them don't wear masks. So out of politeness, I will continue to wear one in indoor settings here in NYC. I'll shed the mask completely once everyone else in NYC lets go of their fear.
You already promised us, multiple times, that you would wear your mask "FOREVER" so I'm sorry but you will need to go on wearing it, as promised.

Good luck.

Old 06-21-2022, 01:53 PM

3,485 posts, read 1,405,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BPC1999 View Post
You already promised us, multiple times, that you would wear your mask "FOREVER" so I'm sorry but you will need to go on wearing it, as promised.

Good luck.
The interesting thing is that this weekend was the FIRST time in two years where I took off my mask and it didn't feel like I was doing something awful. Here in NYC, parading around maskless almost feels like you're committing a terrible sin because it's just so frowned upon by many people. And this goes back to the OP's question on why many people in NYC still mask up, even outdoors. It's one of two reasons- some are genuinely still very paranoid and some just do it in fear of getting told off by some people. Because literally, there will be people who will go after you for not wearing a mask. It's not as bad now as it used to be, but there are still a handful of people out there who will say something to you if you're not wearing a mask.

Having said all that, I admit, what I did wasn't the smartest thing. That's the issue with me, I never learn my lesson. And if I continue with my current practice, it won't be long until I get sick... again! But then again, after recovering from my cold, I'm starting to have a "who care?" attitude. I got sick, and I recovered. So if I get sick again, then lather, rinse and repeat, I guess.

Last edited by TheWiseShopper; 06-21-2022 at 02:04 PM..

Old 06-21-2022, 03:13 PM

3,348 posts, read 1,235,519 times
NYC on a whole is still stuck in covid mode more than any other place. But it still varies a lot by neighborhood. In some neighborhoods hardly anyone is wearing masks anymore and in others most even are even those riding bikes outdoors.

Old 06-22-2022, 03:56 AM

35,002 posts, read 16,964,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djohnslaw View Post
NYC on a whole is still stuck in covid mode more than any other place. But it still varies a lot by neighborhood. In some neighborhoods hardly anyone is wearing masks anymore and in others most even are even those riding bikes outdoors.
One encouraging sign; last night we went to a night club to hear my wife's cousin sing. Only three people, including the pianist, were masked. The place was well-attended. I don't think I saw any outdoor masking. Maybe the mentality is fading away, even the shaming.

Old 06-22-2022, 06:00 AM

828 posts, read 766,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWiseShopper View Post
The interesting thing is that this weekend was the FIRST time in two years where I took off my mask and it didn't feel like I was doing something awful. Here in NYC, parading around maskless almost feels like you're committing a terrible sin because it's just so frowned upon by many people. And this goes back to the OP's question on why many people in NYC still mask up, even outdoors. It's one of two reasons- some are genuinely still very paranoid and some just do it in fear of getting told off by some people. Because literally, there will be people who will go after you for not wearing a mask. It's not as bad now as it used to be, but there are still a handful of people out there who will say something to you if you're not wearing a mask.

Having said all that, I admit, what I did wasn't the smartest thing. That's the issue with me, I never learn my lesson. And if I continue with my current practice, it won't be long until I get sick... again! But then again, after recovering from my cold, I'm starting to have a "who care?" attitude. I got sick, and I recovered. So if I get sick again, then lather, rinse and repeat, I guess.
I don't know if you are for real or just trolling us, but this message is for everyone...

Masks never worked to protect you (or me) against any virus...ever.

Have a nice day.

Old 06-22-2022, 06:10 AM

168 posts, read 41,854 times
Quote:
I don't know if you are for real or just trolling us, but this message is for everyone...

Have a nice day.
Trolling, trolling trolling. Keep on shopping and trolling!

Old 06-22-2022, 06:13 AM

Went to a bat mitzvah last Sunday. Of the around 100 or so people in attendance, plus the waitstaff, there was a grand total of one person wearing a mask the entire time. A total lunatic nutjob. She would pull up the mask off her mouth to take a sip of liquid and then slam it down over her face after the cup was removed from her mouth. She looked like she was headed into surgery, with a mask covering almost her entire face. These people need to seek help at Bellevue!

Old 06-22-2022, 06:15 AM

Quote:
This!!!

Old 06-22-2022, 07:22 AM

3,485 posts, read 1,405,646 times
Quote:

Have a nice day.
Yes, they do work, because it covers the nose and mouth... just like when you cover your mouth when you cough and sneeze.

High quality masks can be very protective. But they need to be of high quality and worn properly. It never worked because majority of people never wore masks, wore low quality masks, or wore masks on their chin or under their nose. Then you have those people that pull down their masks to cough and sneeze, which defeats the whole purpose of the mask. And another tricky thing is that people should be putting on the mask with clean hands and then leaving it on their face and not playing around with it with their filthy hands. But majority do, and I admit, this is where masks can actually make things worse instead of better. And not to mention that masks are not 100% effective; no one ever claimed they were. So with all that combined, that is why many people think they don't work.

Last edited by TheWiseShopper; 06-22-2022 at 08:16 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City