Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-14-2022, 07:02 AM

34,168 posts, read 47,658,740 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esacni View Post
Heads I win, tails you lose. It's a popular way of thinking in "oppressed" communities. No matter what is done, it's never enough. They're still "oppressed" and society MUST bow down to their demands.

Doesn't matter if you came to this country 3 years ago from Mexico, 30 years ago from eastern Europe, or your great grandparents in the early 20th century from Southern Europe and Ireland. You're responsible for fixing the problems of a screwed up community. Anything bad that comes from said community is the fault of society at large.

Th funny thing is, this argument sort of works against some white people but as the country becomes more Latino and Asian, it'll work less and less. The hustlers and grifters who make money off of this know this so they're trying to get as much out of it while the getting is good.
What experience do you have with "oppressed" communities to make such statements?

Forum TOS: https://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 04-14-2022, 07:53 AM

8,953 posts, read 4,837,731 times
Meet the man who helped catch the alleged Brooklyn subway shooter in the East Village

https://www.amny.com/new-york/brookl...ubway-shooter/

Brooklyn Subway Attack Suspect Arrested in East Village

https://www.thecity.nyc/2022/4/13/23...d-east-village

Old 04-14-2022, 08:17 AM

2,948 posts, read 1,297,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
What experience do you have with "oppressed" communities to make such statements?
There are no "oppressed" communities in the US. Just losers who make excuses and those who push the narrative because they make a few dollars .

You live in NYC long enough and you hear all.the grievances of the "oppressed".

I came to this country literally as a refugee per the US state department and INS. My entry document was a temporary white green card for entry that said "stateless" under the citizenship field (I still have it).

If you'd like to learn more (since you seem to be big on "learning") , watch this documentary.

https://www.amazon.com/Stateless-Dav...applink_bb_dls

Old 04-14-2022, 08:48 AM

5,478 posts, read 5,762,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
Speaking as a refugee myself, able-bodied Americans have no idea what it is like to actually be poor or to struggle in life. They literally lucked out to be born into 5% of the wealthiest society in the world in history of human civilization with probably the most economic opportunity in the world as well. An analogy would be like hearing children of billionaires who inherited their wealth by accident of birth complaining that their life is hard and they deserve better. All you can do is roll your eyes and realize that they are just ignorant of the real world struggle and do not realize the privileged situation they are in. There are easily about 5-6 billion people in the world who would trade places with any of these people who live in Brownsville or Detroit or any other place that is considered "bad" in the US.

For example, people complaining about Rikers should watch this:

Old 04-14-2022, 09:04 AM

3,376 posts, read 1,265,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gantz View Post
Speaking as a refugee myself, able-bodied Americans have no idea what it is like to actually be poor or to struggle in life. They literally lucked out to be born into 5% of the wealthiest society in the world in history of human civilization with probably the most economic opportunity in the world as well. An analogy would be like hearing children of billionaires who inherited their wealth by accident of birth complaining that their life is hard and they deserve better. All you can do is roll your eyes and realize that they are just ignorant of the real world struggle and do not realize the privileged situation they are in. There are easily about 5-6 billion people in the world who would trade places with any of these people who live in Brownsville or Detroit or any other place that is considered "bad" in the US.

I couldn't agree more.
There are a lot of issues I have with this country but forget 5 percent- to be born during this time period in this country is pure luck top 1/10th of 1 percent type of stuff.
Somehow I'm supposed to care that Jeff Bezos has more money than me and ignore the fact that I live better than almost everyone who has ever walked the face of the Earth. Sorry not buying it.Why would I worry about someone having more than me when I'm lucky to be in the position I'm in?

I know people who moved her as small children, moved here as teenagers and moved here as adults. In some cases they didn't even speak a word of English. I couldn't even imagine such a culture shock. And yet so many come here and are successful. Then we have people who were born here, and blame everyone but themselves for their poor lot in life and portray themselves as victims. In almost every case the only things they're victims of is poor parenting. If an 80 year old black person wants to tell me about systematic racism leading to a life of struggle and they're bitter about it sadly they're right. When someone 25 years old wants to turn everything into a race issue, blame whitey for everything, blame things that happened 200 years ago for their struggles- sorry not buying it. That's not to say no racism exists but you also don't get to call yourself a victim of things you didn't actually go through yourself.

Now what does irk me is when people act like immigrants even illegal immigrants are all the scum of the Earth. I understand we can't just have unlimited amounts of people sneaking over here , eating up our resources etc. and that needs to be controlled. But that doesn't make those people evil determined to bring down this country. Those are 2 totally different arguments and should be treated as such.

Old 04-14-2022, 09:25 AM

5,970 posts, read 3,086,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gantz View Post

As a child of immigrants, there is no way to explain to an average American what it feels like to leave everything behind for two middle aged parents and come here with kids and start life all over from scratch.
So when people cry about difficulty of making it in this country, no matter what subject it’s based on, I laugh, it’s just hilarious.

Old 04-14-2022, 09:49 AM

2,679 posts, read 1,713,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djohnslaw View Post
I couldn't agree more.
There are a lot of issues I have with this country but forget 5 percent- to be born during this time period in this country is pure luck top 1/10th of 1 percent type of stuff.
Somehow I'm supposed to care that Jeff Bezos has more money than me and ignore the fact that I live better than almost everyone who has ever walked the face of the Earth. Sorry not buying it.Why would I worry about someone having more than me when I'm lucky to be in the position I'm in?

I know people who moved her as small children, moved here as teenagers and moved here as adults. In some cases they didn't even speak a word of English. I couldn't even imagine such a culture shock. And yet so many come here and are successful. Then we have people who were born here, and blame everyone but themselves for their poor lot in life and portray themselves as victims. In almost every case the only things they're victims of is poor parenting. If an 80 year old black person wants to tell me about systematic racism leading to a life of struggle and they're bitter about it sadly they're right. When someone 25 years old wants to turn everything into a race issue, blame whitey for everything, blame things that happened 200 years ago for their struggles- sorry not buying it. That's not to say no racism exists but you also don't get to call yourself a victim of things you didn't actually go through yourself.

Now what does irk me is when people act like immigrants even illegal immigrants are all the scum of the Earth. I understand we can't just have unlimited amounts of people sneaking over here , eating up our resources etc. and that needs to be controlled. But that doesn't make those people evil determined to bring down this country. Those are 2 totally different arguments and should be treated as such.
There are highs and lows in your arguments.

Many people around the world speak 4 and 5 languages, especially in Europe and Africa, and some learning at a young age and some older. It’s really not culture shock as much people think.

Plenty of Americans born here don’t blame everyone for their conditions (and perhaps that’s your perception). Of course there were groups placed at very clear disadvantages (Native Americans, blacks) but that doesn’t mean everything “turns into a race issue.” But I do agree people should be forward thinking.

I don’t have a prejudice against immigrants but I’ve worked with immigrants and many illegals to know that some are amazing people and some very mean, hostile, racist, carry prejudices, are definitely can be greedy and money hungry. No they are not “bringing down the country,” but some things are just perceived differently.

Old 04-14-2022, 09:51 AM

2,679 posts, read 1,713,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave 92 LSC View Post
As a child of immigrants, there is no way to explain to an average American what it feels like to leave everything behind for two middle aged parents and come here with kids and start life all over from scratch.
So when people cry about difficulty of making it in this country, no matter what subject it’s based on, I laugh, it’s just hilarious.
That’s quite silly thing to say when so many people I know who talk about the difficulty of making it in this country are immigrants themselves.

Old 04-14-2022, 10:13 AM

5,970 posts, read 3,086,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Relaxx View Post
That’s quite silly thing to say when so many people I know who talk about the difficulty of making it in this country are immigrants themselves.
The word EASY should not be in a grown ups vocabulary. Nothing worth while is easy. With a bit of brain anything is possible. But if you came here thinking you gonna milk cows and raise a family, well then, should have stayed where you came from.

Old 04-14-2022, 10:18 AM

3,376 posts, read 1,265,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Relaxx View Post
Who said if was easy?
Nobody owes you a living.
If people had that mentality instead of the victim mentality they'd be better off.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City