Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-13-2022, 10:03 PM

34,174 posts, read 47,434,105 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 562026 View Post
Ah yes, you believe that jail doesn't stop crime, but GPS ankle bracelets will. Um, okay.

And your inconsistent position with regard to the failure of jail to eradicate crime and the failure of welfare to eradicate poverty is duly noted.

You are clearly not on the side of lifting people up, but of defending and even perpetuating a particular culture, no matter how diseased that culture might be.

Done.
What culture are you speaking of?

Forum TOS: https://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 04-13-2022, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
You can get a bolt cutter at home depot or harbor freight for twenty bucks.
Speaking from experience?

Old 04-13-2022, 10:05 PM

Quote:
You say that incarcerating one criminal doesn't stop other criminals from hurting people, so it's a failure. Using your logic, treating one person's cancer doesn't stop cancer from hurting other people, so it's a failure.

Your position is that jail is a failure because it doesn't stop other people from committing crimes. Why would you not also declare cancer treatment a failure since it doesn't stop other people from getting cancer?

Point is, by removing the criminal from society, you save the people he or she would otherwise go on to harm. Likewise, by treating cancer, you help the person the cancer would have otherwise gone on to harm.

Criminals are a cancer on society.
I'm going to allow you to read this again to yourself to see if this makes any sense.

I'll leave you with this. You can put this guy under the jail or give him the death penalty - can you ensure that an event like this will never happen again, regardless of this guy's fate?

Old 04-13-2022, 10:09 PM

12,200 posts, read 7,254,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizualizax90 View Post
There are many rural areas (think MS, AL, WV) that are red with poor citizens that vote Republican consistently. Areas with no jobs, resources, adequate healthcare, etc but they still vote red.

Maybe the poor Republican constituents get the same thing the poor Democrat constituents get.
You do realize that just saying “MS, AL, WV” and assuming they are red is just silly because even within those states there are areas (mainly blacks) that vote consistently blue Democrat and not coincidentally, those blue pockets are also the worst areas within those states. Seems like Democrats fail their citizens even within red states. Thanks for bringing that up.

Old 04-13-2022, 10:14 PM

12,200 posts, read 7,254,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizualizax90 View Post
Black males wouldn’t be the most incarcerated group if they were dealt with kid gloves.
What are you talking about? They are dealt with kid gloves now (lax laws) and they are still committing crimes and being incarcerated.

Old 04-14-2022, 05:29 AM

2,948 posts, read 1,273,386 times
Quote:
Ah yes, you believe that jail doesn't stop crime, but GPS ankle bracelets will. Um, okay.

And your inconsistent position with regard to the failure of jail to eradicate crime and the failure of welfare to eradicate poverty is duly noted.

You are clearly not on the side of lifting people up, but of defending and even perpetuating a particular culture, no matter how diseased that culture might be.

Done.
Heads I win, tails you lose. It's a popular way of thinking in "oppressed" communities. No matter what is done, it's never enough. They're still "oppressed" and society MUST bow down to their demands.

Doesn't matter if you came to this country 3 years ago from Mexico, 30 years ago from eastern Europe, or your great grandparents in the early 20th century from Southern Europe and Ireland. You're responsible for fixing the problems of a screwed up community. Anything bad that comes from said community is the fault of society at large.

Th funny thing is, this argument sort of works against some white people but as the country becomes more Latino and Asian, it'll work less and less. The hustlers and grifters who make money off of this know this so they're trying to get as much out of it while the getting is good.

Old 04-14-2022, 05:30 AM

7,759 posts, read 3,908,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djohnslaw View Post
Yup.
I'm going to the Yankees game.
There's a non zero chance I'll get shot on the train. Maybe I'll get covid and be one of those rare young people who dies from it. Maybe when i'm home my roof will collapse and kill me.Crime is up and NYC is turning into a cess pool but I'm not just going to sit home all day.
This is a Consumerist mentality. This is why public officials can continue to underperform and be corrupt. Because people such as yourself (multiplied times 1M) do not opt out and enact financial consequences upon the system to make a change and make things safer.

Old 04-14-2022, 05:34 AM

7,759 posts, read 3,908,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theoppressedracist View Post
He doesn’t like Adams. Adams is one of the many Black people he despises. I’m not sure why he picked New York City and that particular station/stop rather than one in his home city/state.
NYC is a bright red target. No one would care if this happened in some random town in the boonies I guess.

Old 04-14-2022, 06:35 AM

1,853 posts, read 1,963,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tencent View Post
NYC is a bright red target. No one would care if this happened in some random town in the boonies I guess.
Even though my location says Boston, I’m a native New Yorker who spends a good amount of time in NYC each month, have family/friends and my parents still have the house in Queens. It pains me to see NYC become a target of these horrendous crimes. Whether it’s terrorists from the Middle East or homegrown ones, it rankles me to see my City being hurt in that way.

When COVID first hit the shores of NYC and many states (looking at you Rhode Island and Maine) wanted to restrict New Yorkers from coming there, I was similarly outraged and as property owner called and wrote to the Governors/Senators.

I don’t mean to make this about me. I (along with many New Yorkers) may have a thousand criticisms of the City, it’s mayor, the services etc. however I will defend the City and my fellow New Yorkers whenever we are attacked. We were attacked in Brooklyn by this terrorist. No matter what happens I will never bet against NYC, the resiliency of its people, the go getter attitude, the genuine relationships that make this place special.

Old 04-14-2022, 06:36 AM

3,358 posts, read 1,247,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tencent View Post
This is a Consumerist mentality. This is why public officials can continue to underperform and be corrupt. Because people such as yourself (multiplied times 1M) do not opt out and enact financial consequences upon the system to make a change and make things safer.
Haha I hate all politicians and won't get painted in a box the way most people do
I'm also going to live my life
It's way too short to stay cooped up because of what might happen to you

By the way this moron didnt get shot on the train last night
Must have been my lucky day

Public officials are corrupt and continue to underperform and face no consequences because sheep continue to toe the 2 party line and even worse continue to vote for incumbents
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City