Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2022, 10:25 AM

2,948 posts, read 1,259,713 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Relaxx View Post
That’s quite silly thing to say when so many people I know who talk about the difficulty of making it in this country are immigrants themselves.
Of course it's not easy. For those immigrants that come without any particular in demand skill, if they think the US is a cakewalk, they're kidding themselves. This has always been the case. They come here/should come here because their kids will be much better off (if they don't screw up).

If you're not born into wealth or luck out, you have to bust your ass in the US to make it. The difference is that the US rewards hard work for most people whereas most other countries don't either because the economy is too small, not dynamic, corrupt, or a combination of all three.

The notion that many immigrants have that money grows on trees in the US has existed forever. Truth is some immigrants just don't want to put in the work (either mental or physical).

The US is one of the hardest working nations on earth. You wouldn't know judging by NYC and all the handouts but it's still true. We work more hours per week many almost anyone save for Japan, Korea, and a few others. Global statistics are skewed because we have so many freeloaders and part time workers in the US nowadays but if adjustments were made for this we probably would be top 3.

Last edited by Esacni; 04-14-2022 at 10:35 AM..

Old 04-14-2022, 11:04 AM

2,678 posts, read 1,700,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Esacni View Post
Of course it's not easy. For those immigrants that come without any particular in demand skill, if they think the US is a cakewalk, they're kidding themselves. This has always been the case. They come here/should come here because their kids will be much better off (if they don't screw up).

If you're not born into wealth or luck out, you have to bust your ass in the US to make it. The difference is that the US rewards hard work for most people whereas most other countries don't either because the economy is too small, not dynamic, corrupt, or a combination of all three.

The notion that many immigrants have that money grows on trees in the US has existed forever. Truth is some immigrants just don't want to put in the work (either mental or physical).

The US is one of the hardest working nations on earth. You wouldn't know judging by NYC and all the handouts but it's still true. We work more hours per week many almost anyone save for Japan, Korea, and a few others. Global statistics are skewed because we have so many freeloaders and part time workers in the US nowadays but if adjustments were made for this we probably would be top 3.
Plenty of rich people don’t work hard at all.

The same goes for the poor.

I think most people are aware that many immigrants don’t have money and means. I don’t have this idea of American exceptionalism that you do.

Old 04-14-2022, 11:21 AM

2,948 posts, read 1,259,713 times
Quote:

I think most people are aware that many immigrants don’t have money and means. I don’t have this idea of American exceptionalism that you do.
I don't understand your point. Some rich people don't work hard (inheritance, luck, etc.). There are exceptions to everything in life.

What is your idea of "exceptionalism"?

Old 04-14-2022, 11:37 AM

3,349 posts, read 1,237,356 times
Quote:

Working smart and working hard are both important.
Exceptions don't prove rules.

Old 04-14-2022, 11:38 AM

34,088 posts, read 47,285,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gantz View Post
Speaking as a refugee myself, able-bodied Americans have no idea what it is like to actually be poor or to struggle in life. They literally lucked out to be born into 5% of the wealthiest society in the world in history of human civilization with probably the most economic opportunity in the world as well. An analogy would be like hearing children of billionaires who inherited their wealth by accident of birth complaining that their life is hard and they deserve better. All you can do is roll your eyes and realize that they are just ignorant of the real world struggle and do not realize the privileged situation they are in. There are easily about 5-6 billion people in the world who would trade places with any of these people who live in Brownsville or Detroit or any other place that is considered "bad" in the US.

For example, people complaining about Rikers should watch this:
So without money, the human race would be extinct

Copy

Forum TOS: https://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 04-14-2022, 06:09 PM

8,936 posts, read 4,765,592 times
https://gothamist.com/news/many-citi...ontent=2022414

Many cities have more robust subway camera systems than NY

https://www.amny.com/transit/brookly...ty-mta-lieber/

Faulty internet node cut camera feed at Brooklyn subway station during shooting

Old 04-14-2022, 07:57 PM

8,373 posts, read 4,386,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gantz View Post
Speaking as a refugee myself, able-bodied Americans have no idea what it is like to actually be poor or to struggle in life. They literally lucked out to be born into 5% of the wealthiest society in the world in history of human civilization with probably the most economic opportunity in the world as well. An analogy would be like hearing children of billionaires who inherited their wealth by accident of birth complaining that their life is hard and they deserve better. All you can do is roll your eyes and realize that they are just ignorant of the real world struggle and do not realize the privileged situation they are in. There are easily about 5-6 billion people in the world who would trade places with any of these people who live in Brownsville or Detroit or any other place that is considered "bad" in the US.

For example, people complaining about Rikers should watch this:

Another immigrant here who couldn't agree more with you. I was ****-poor for years after arriving into the US, but never even noticed that as a problem - I wanted to kiss the ground of the US every morning, after escaping violence and the absence of survival resources of the kind that the whiny complainers have no way of imagining. Anyone born in the US, no matter how poor, is automatically privileged, because what is available to them (including available free) is not available elsewhere. People are not exactly pouring across the southern border into Mexico due to lack of opportunities in the US :-).

Old 04-14-2022, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
Give them GPS ankle bracelets. Save the taxpayers some money.

Leave the welfare system alone, without the poor, there would be no rich. Poor people are needed so that people will be scared into working their meaningless jobs, and when I say meaningless, I mean the jobs that don't contribute to the advancement of human society on this planet. 1% needs you guys as distracted as possible with "jobs" and "paid entertainment."

Sorry, I increased your reputation by mistake :-). Juvenile delinquents use the ankle bracelets as a status symbol, and brag about them at school. Plus, a lot of criminals simply cut them. Very few jobs "contribute to advancement of human society on this planet" - most jobs (including those that require a lot of training and skill) contribute to human civilization running smoothly on a daily basis, which is perfectly okay. Poor people are not needed to anyone - the society is trying hard to abolish poverty, but the poorest layer of the society has the highest birth rate.

Old 04-14-2022, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
So without money, the human race would be extinct

Copy

Without money, members of the human race would be constantly physically fighting with each other for resources (the way they did before barter was invented, and made more exact with money).

Old 04-14-2022, 09:32 PM

31,907 posts, read 26,961,756 times
Bringing this back on home....

This event is probably any New Yorkers or anyone else's worst nightmare. Being in a confined space when some fool starts shooting fish in a barrel. You hear about this or other terrorist acts from elsewhere in world, but no one expects it in NYC. Then again no one expected bunch of eejits of Middle Eastern origin to fly planes into buildings either.

Aside from avoiding trains, buses and airplanes all together there isn't much anyone can do really. Law of averages makes such events rare (thank God), but still...

Post 9/11/01 world there was a huge beefing up of security not just to enter buildings, but transit system as well. You still have those announcements (MTA would like to remind you backpacks and other large containers are subject to random search.....), but NYPD transit and MTA LE scaled that back years ago.

Back when LE would process all fare evasion arrests through system, officers found all sorts of interesting items on suspects, and yes even this included illegal guns. To it isn't too difficult to imagine then, since and now eejits are riding subway system packing.

Someone with a clear head, decent enough skills and evil intent simply could have boarded train, waited for long distance between stops, then go from car to car taking people out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City