Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2022, 08:36 AM

1,553 posts, read 2,448,709 times

Advertisements

I went to Arthur Avenue in the Bronx yesterday.

I feel, unfortunately, Little Italy in the Bronx will one day disappear or at least reduce itself dramatically over the years.

It's such a shame, Italians worked hard and brought their great culture with them.

I noticed even a lot of Puerto Ricans in the Bronx are leaving too.

Now, the Dominicans, Mexicans, Albanians, and others will replace them, which is good.

I have some photos attached.

I went to one of the restaurants, it was expensive but I know one day eating Italian food on Arthur Avenue might be a thing of the past, 100 years from now if not sooner. That's why I went yesterday.

The food, though, was good.

Seems like a place you also want to go after a Yankees game, since Yankees Stadium is located in the borough.

I kind of see Italian culture in the Bronx (and other Italian communities often located in urban communities where they retain their culture) as similar to seeing the Amish in Pennsylvania or the Chicanos on the West Coast,

a different culture than my own that is worth seeing.
Attached Thumbnails
Ate out at Arthur Avenue in the Bronx yesterday.-img_4468.jpeg   Ate out at Arthur Avenue in the Bronx yesterday.-img_4474.jpeg   Ate out at Arthur Avenue in the Bronx yesterday.-img_4481.jpeg   Ate out at Arthur Avenue in the Bronx yesterday.-img_2314-1-.jpeg   Ate out at Arthur Avenue in the Bronx yesterday.-img_2374.jpeg  

Ate out at Arthur Avenue in the Bronx yesterday.-img_2378-1-.jpeg   Ate out at Arthur Avenue in the Bronx yesterday.-img_2371-1-.jpeg   Ate out at Arthur Avenue in the Bronx yesterday.-img_2366.jpeg   Ate out at Arthur Avenue in the Bronx yesterday.-img_2365-1-.jpeg   Ate out at Arthur Avenue in the Bronx yesterday.-img_2376-1-.jpeg  

Ate out at Arthur Avenue in the Bronx yesterday.-img_2363-1-.jpeg   Ate out at Arthur Avenue in the Bronx yesterday.-img_2343-1-.jpeg   Ate out at Arthur Avenue in the Bronx yesterday.-img_2322.jpeg   Ate out at Arthur Avenue in the Bronx yesterday.-img_2325-1-.jpeg   Ate out at Arthur Avenue in the Bronx yesterday.-img_2319-1-.jpeg  

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2022, 08:58 AM

1,486 posts, read 989,335 times
if you said it would be a nice place to go to after visiting the Bronx Zoo or the Botanical Garden I would agree, but Yankee Stadium?

Yankee Stadium is all the way on the other side of the BX and no easy commute from there to Authur Avenue unless they like a $25 Uber

Old 06-27-2022, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoullessOne View Post
if you said it would be a nice place to go to after visiting the Bronx Zoo or the Botanical Garden I would agree, but Yankee Stadium?

Yankee Stadium is all the way on the other side of the BX and no easy commute from there to Authur Avenue unless they like a $25 Uber
Yeah but I saw people in Yankees gear at the restaurant I ate at.

So I guess they still come.

Old 06-27-2022, 12:46 PM

2,624 posts, read 1,219,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by homenj View Post
Yeah but I saw people in Yankees gear at the restaurant I ate at.

So I guess they still come.
People wear Yankees gear in the Bronx to walk to the bodega or get a slice of pizza.

There's plenty of people in the Bronx who wear Yankees gear who have never set foot in Yankee Stadium, and some who might not even be Yankees or baseball fans.

It's possible that some of those people you saw were coming from the stadium, but like the post above stated, due to Arthur Ave's proximity to the stadium, I highly doubt it.

Old 06-27-2022, 12:53 PM

2,624 posts, read 1,219,929 times
Great photos by the way !

Old 06-27-2022, 01:03 PM

3,495 posts, read 1,749,334 times
Nice to see the photos, haven't been there since the pandemic started, one of the restaurant owners died of covid. I miss eating pastries for breakfast at Artuso's, buying their delicious cakes, going to church at Mt. Carmel, and walking around that neighborhood.

Old 06-27-2022, 02:12 PM

12,789 posts, read 8,293,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by homenj View Post
I went to Arthur Avenue in the Bronx yesterday.

I feel, unfortunately, Little Italy in the Bronx will one day disappear or at least reduce itself dramatically over the years.

It's such a shame, Italians worked hard and brought their great culture with them.

I noticed even a lot of Puerto Ricans in the Bronx are leaving too.

Now, the Dominicans, Mexicans, Albanians, and others will replace them, which is good.

I have some photos attached.

I went to one of the restaurants, it was expensive but I know one day eating Italian food on Arthur Avenue might be a thing of the past, 100 years from now if not sooner. That's why I went yesterday.

The food, though, was good.

Seems like a place you also want to go after a Yankees game, since Yankees Stadium is located in the borough.

I kind of see Italian culture in the Bronx (and other Italian communities often located in urban communities where they retain their culture) as similar to seeing the Amish in Pennsylvania or the Chicanos on the West Coast,

a different culture than my own that is worth seeing.
Ha! One day? Most of the store owners of the "Italian" restaurants are Albanians, and that started years ago. You still have some Italian owners left, but fewer each year.

Old 06-27-2022, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
Ha! One day? Most of the store owners of the "Italian" restaurants are Albanians, and that started years ago. You still have some Italian owners left, but fewer each year.
I wonder if Mario’s, the place I went to yesterday, is owned by an Italian or an Albanian, could be a PR for that matter but the chicken was so delicious.

Old 06-27-2022, 10:02 PM

7,906 posts, read 7,890,990 times
i wanna do a couple of boxes of ravioli, but gotta Uber em back due to the heat

Old 06-28-2022, 06:35 AM

2,948 posts, read 1,260,967 times
Arthur Ave is about as Italian as Little Italy in the city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City