Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2022, 05:17 PM

12,789 posts, read 8,293,232 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by citylove101 View Post
An interesting take, that the perception of crime here, thanks to intense media focus on several high-profile incidents is far worse than the actuality. Young folks with no memory of the 80-s and '90s see the Covid uptick as absolutely horrifying--unlike those of us who are older or were around back then, and remember what a real crime wave looks like. Also, a mayor who focuses on crime got elected--but his focus on it really scares people more than is warranted just by the numbers. And most of us don't live in the 'hood, where crime is disproportionately high, mainly thanks to more guns.

The fact: While anything can happen anywhere to any one, most of the time nothing at all happens to any of us. Just something to keep in mind.

https://www.bloomberg.com/graphics/2...-stat-reality/
How are you speaking for people in the hood that are very upset and calling on the mayor to address the rampant crime problem in their neighborhoods? There was a Town Hall meeting I believe in the South Bronx earlier this week with many people calling on the Mayor to take a more aggressive stance on the crime problems in their neighborhoods and lobby Albany to repeal the bail reform laws.

Your post is ridiculous and disingenuous to say the least. I don't live in the hood, but I have taken precautions for my safety just because we have many mentally unstable people walking around all over and it's better to be safe than sorry. Does that mean that I never leave the house and stop living? Of course not, but you would be foolish to just walk around like everything is peachy dory. A lot of the people acting as if everything is fine are living in their own little bubble where perhaps everything is fine, but don't step outside of their own neighborhood or have become conditioned to the nonsense going on and accept it as "normal".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2022, 05:23 PM

34,097 posts, read 47,293,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
How are you speaking for people in the hood that are very upset and calling on the mayor to address the rampant crime problem in their neighborhoods? There was a Town Hall meeting I believe in the South Bronx earlier this week with many people calling on the Mayor to take a more aggressive stance on the crime problems in their neighborhoods and lobby Albany to repeal the bail reform laws.

Your post is ridiculous and disingenuous to say the least. I don't live in the hood, but I have taken precautions for my safety just because we have many mentally unstable people walking around all over and it's better to be safe than sorry. Does that mean that I never leave the house and stop living? Of course not, but you would be foolish to just walk around like everything is peachy dory. A lot of the people acting as if everything is fine are living in their own little bubble where perhaps everything is fine, but don't step outside of their own neighborhood or have become conditioned to the nonsense going on and accept it as "normal".
So there's been a point in your life while living here that you did not take any precautions for your safety?

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 08-10-2022, 05:59 PM

2,948 posts, read 1,260,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citylove101 View Post
And with this statement, you have shown your true colors, and lost whatever little credibility you might once have had.
Why? Because it hits a little too close to home? I live in the real world and I judge people by their actions, not their words. This is exactly why certain people in this city want to see it burn.

I didn't invent the concept of schadenfreude. I see it in practice everyday in current NYC.

Old 08-10-2022, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
So there's been a point in your life while living here that you did not take any precautions for your safety?
Apart from looking before crossing a street or not talking to strangers? Growing up in the neighborhood that I did, I never once thought about my personal safety with regard to crime and I spent much of my time outside the house (mainly in parks/fields).

Maybe you grew up in neighborhoods where you always had to watch your back. That doesn't mean it's normal or that others have to as well.

Old 08-10-2022, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Race race race

All about race
You project a lot. Race is a part of life but I judge people and communities by their actions. If there happens to be a commonality with regard to race then that's a by-product of the culture.

Why don't you ask African immigrants in NYC if they feel if they're the same "race" as black NYCers in NYCHA? Or ask Brazilians working for multi-nationals NYC if they're the same race as Dominicans in Washington Heights.

Your concept of race is very naive. Maybe it's because I'm an immigrant from Europe where everyone is "white" to people like you but the reality is far more complicated.

Old 08-10-2022, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esacni View Post
Apart from looking before crossing a street or not talking to strangers? Growing up in the neighborhood that I did, I never once thought about my personal safety with regard to crime.

Maybe you grew up in neighborhoods where you always had to watch your back. That doesn't mean it's normal or that others have to as well.
So I'm supposed to feel sorry for people who don't have street smarts? I've been riding the train by myself since I was 11. Who's fault is that, that as a kid, you just went to the corner store and back. You either adjust and adapt, or change your surroundings. Complaining gets you nowhere. You may think the city sucks right now, but what sucks even more is that you think somehow the city will change just for you

Old 08-10-2022, 06:17 PM

Quote:
You project a lot. Race is a part of life but I judge people and communities by their actions. If there happens to be a commonality with regard to race then that's a by-product of the culture.

Why don't you ask African immigrants in NYC if they feel if they're the same "race" as black NYCers in NYCHA? Or ask Brazilians working for multi-nationals NYC if they're the same race as Dominicans in Washington Heights.

Your concept of race is very naive. Maybe it's because I'm an immigrant from Europe where everyone is "white" to people like you but the reality is far more complicated.
Sure...

When you referred to "Asians" in an earlier post, which type of Asians were you referring to? It's a big continent. Contradicting yourself. Smh.

Nothing wrong with what you think (they're your thoughts after all), but if you're gonna talk about it, then be about it

Old 08-10-2022, 06:19 PM

Quote:
So I'm supposed to feel sorry for people who don't have street smarts? I've been riding the train by myself since I was 11. Who's fault is that, that as a kid, you just went to the corner store and back. You either adjust and adapt, or change your surroundings. Complaining gets you nowhere.
Didn't I just mention schadenfreude and here comes a nice example.

So when you hear of some kid who got his backpack snatched, tried to get it back, and got killed for it, you get a little satisfaction, right? He was so naive, right? If only he grew up in the hood and knew that people literally get killed over nothing, he would've been alive, correct?

Old 08-10-2022, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Once again with the perceptions. Think what you want, in the grand scheme of things it does not matter. What matters is being true to yourself. If you don't like your situation, change it. If you feel complaining about it is the only option that you have, then that is a serious problem. Maybe the truth is you can't afford to pick up and leave. And that's ok, not everybody's a millionaire. But negative energy does not reap profits.

Old 08-10-2022, 06:25 PM

Quote:

So when you hear of some kid who got his backpack snatched, tried to get it back, and got killed for it, you get a little satisfaction, right? He was so naive, right? If only he grew up in the hood and knew that people literally get killed over nothing, he would've been alive, correct?
Write your story of me however you want, I could care less

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City