Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2022, 08:04 PM

49 posts, read 54,487 times

Advertisements

I'm in my late 20s and thinking of moving to Staten Island. I'm engaged, a high school teacher in NYC and my fiancé is physical therapist. My salary now obviously isn't sky high but within a few decades it could go much higher as NYC teachers are some of the best paid in the country. Looking at Staten Island I love a lot of things about it. It's only a short ferry ride away from Manhattan, it's basically part of NYC by name only as it is the only 'fully suburban borough'. I heard that it is very family friendly. a great place to start a family lots of great schools etc.

I only have one problem which is the political issue. Me and my wife are both democrats. Although I am not a massive left wing, I do agree with some right wing issues however, I am mostly left wing, pro gun control, pro abortion etc. I am against snowflakes, I do have a dark sense of humor and can be politically incorrect. However one of my main issues is racial equality, the racism in some schools towards ethnic minorities disgusts me. Staten Island unfortunately is the only borough of NYC that has more republicans than democrats. With both our salaries ten years down the line we will be able to afford a house on the southern part of the island, the 'affluent part', however I don't want my neighbours to be snobs or really right wing or tell me how much they loved Trump.

You're probably wondering why I don't move to somewhere like Queens where there are plenty of nice houses and suburban type areas. I really like the idea of an entire borough being completely suburban as Staten Island is. However, I can buy a house for the same amount of money in Queens and Staten Island and the Staten Island house will be much bigger and more spacious, despite it costing the same amount as the Queens house. I have worked hard to get where I am in my career and I don't want to live out my 'American Dream' in a tiny three bedroom cramped house. One really good thing about Staten Island is affordability you can buy a similar sized house to Queens/Brooklyn for a much cheaper price.

This is something I have never come across this online but this is a question I have. Will Staten Island become less conservative, I don't mean Manhattan level of conservative where they exist as a very small minority, but will Staten Island become more liberal in the next few decades, as the newer generations are raised with much more tolerance than older generations and are much less racist, homophobic etc. Or will Staten Island just be filled with everyone in NYC my age who is diehard right wing Trump loving? This is a serious life decision I am contemplating making. If housing was more affordable I'd head straight for Queens but like I said the type of house I will live in for the rest of my life is of high importance to me. My fiancé and I love everything about Staten Island except the political problem. As far as I can tell Max Rose couldn't turn the state blue, at least not permanently. If I were to live in Queens I'd be with my wife and three kids in a small house when we could be in a mansion type house in Staten Island. Is the political problem really that obvious and bad to people who move there? What suggestions to people who do live or have lived in Staten Island have for me?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2022, 08:16 PM

104 posts, read 102,663 times
Sounds like you’re too focused on politics of the area vs what the actual area offers. If you don’t like your neighbors because they are Trump supporters (not everyone who is conservative is), then the problem is you, not them.

Old 08-14-2022, 08:20 PM

7,348 posts, read 4,134,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCnorb View Post
Sounds like you’re too focused on politics of the area vs what the actual area offers. If you don’t like your neighbors because they are Trump supporters (not everyone who is conservative is), then the problem is you, not them.
True!!!

Who talks to their neighbors about politics? It's "hi", "how are you", "what a nice garden, what's that plant called" and "did you see the new shop in town?"

If you are so focused on politics, you are the problem.

Old 08-14-2022, 08:27 PM

1,064 posts, read 545,889 times
Yeah, you seem a bit overly focused on politics.
I don't know anything really about Staten Island, only been there a few times, so take this for what it's worth, but the northern part of the island almost all voted blue. Maybe the north isn't a desirable area, I'm not sure. But if you want to live in blue-land, then settle in the north part.

You can see how people vote here https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/...ction-map.html You'll have to type Staten island into the search box.

Old 08-14-2022, 08:38 PM

49 posts, read 54,487 times
I would never intentionally talk to my neighbors about politics as it’s a very personal issue for a lot of people. I’m a member of a debate club and I discuss politics with my fiancé. Most things we agree on and the things we don’t, we can respectfully disagree. I’ve just heard a LOT of stories online and even from some people in real life about how nightmarishly bold republicans in Staten Island can be. Like black people who live or visit there being called ****** is a regular occurrence? I wouldn’t have believed that as it’s too shocking but I’ve read that several times online posted by people who have lived in staten island for years. Also in 2016 and even 2020 a high number of houses had MAGA signs in their front yards? Even though I’m a democrat like I said I dislike snowflakes meaning I can respectfully disagree with someone with opposing political views. I have no problem with republicans given that they aren’t trump supporters as many republicans dislike Trump. This is the guy they attended a gun convention the day after Uvalde and told us to inject bleach into ourselves a month after Covid started. But like I said if people keep hush about their political views I have no problem. It’s just this stereotype it seems, and I hope it is a stereotype and not a reality, that many people in Staten Island are openly racist homophobic etc, I mean who would want to be around those people? Like I said I hope what I’ve read is BS about this but it has given me a bit of apprehension about moving to Staten Island. If you’ve heard of the comedy troupe the impractical jokers those four guys are all from southern Staten Island and all democrats who hate trump and nearly half of all voters voted Biden in 2020 in Staten Island? How BS is what I’ve read about Staten Island resembling a redneck town in Alabama as opposed to part of one of the most respectful tolerant cities in America?

Old 08-15-2022, 01:36 AM

789 posts, read 486,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CityLover2458 View Post
I'm in my late 20s and thinking of moving to Staten Island. I'm engaged, a high school teacher in NYC and my fiancé is physical therapist. My salary now obviously isn't sky high but within a few decades it could go much higher as NYC teachers are some of the best paid in the country. Looking at Staten Island I love a lot of things about it. It's only a short ferry ride away from Manhattan, it's basically part of NYC by name only as it is the only 'fully suburban borough'. I heard that it is very family friendly. a great place to start a family lots of great schools etc.

I only have one problem which is the political issue. Me and my wife are both democrats. Although I am not a massive left wing, I do agree with some right wing issues however, I am mostly left wing, pro gun control, pro abortion etc. I am against snowflakes, I do have a dark sense of humor and can be politically incorrect. However one of my main issues is racial equality, the racism in some schools towards ethnic minorities disgusts me. Staten Island unfortunately is the only borough of NYC that has more republicans than democrats. With both our salaries ten years down the line we will be able to afford a house on the southern part of the island, the 'affluent part', however I don't want my neighbours to be snobs or really right wing or tell me how much they loved Trump.

You're probably wondering why I don't move to somewhere like Queens where there are plenty of nice houses and suburban type areas. I really like the idea of an entire borough being completely suburban as Staten Island is. However, I can buy a house for the same amount of money in Queens and Staten Island and the Staten Island house will be much bigger and more spacious, despite it costing the same amount as the Queens house. I have worked hard to get where I am in my career and I don't want to live out my 'American Dream' in a tiny three bedroom cramped house. One really good thing about Staten Island is affordability you can buy a similar sized house to Queens/Brooklyn for a much cheaper price.

This is something I have never come across this online but this is a question I have. Will Staten Island become less conservative, I don't mean Manhattan level of conservative where they exist as a very small minority, but will Staten Island become more liberal in the next few decades, as the newer generations are raised with much more tolerance than older generations and are much less racist, homophobic etc. Or will Staten Island just be filled with everyone in NYC my age who is diehard right wing Trump loving? This is a serious life decision I am contemplating making. If housing was more affordable I'd head straight for Queens but like I said the type of house I will live in for the rest of my life is of high importance to me. My fiancé and I love everything about Staten Island except the political problem. As far as I can tell Max Rose couldn't turn the state blue, at least not permanently. If I were to live in Queens I'd be with my wife and three kids in a small house when we could be in a mansion type house in Staten Island. Is the political problem really that obvious and bad to people who move there? What suggestions to people who do live or have lived in Staten Island have for me?

Stay out of SI. It's a great place to live and raise a family, however you are a left wing liberal nutjob and YES YOU WILL NOT BE WELCOME. The area is mostly Italian ethnics, south shore anyway, who come from families affiliated military or civil servant service (aka nypd/fdny). These folks don't want liberals like you or Max Rose. And, yes, you will see a lot of Trump flags and signs. And no, it isn't getting more liberal because the younger generation are well informed of what's going on in the rest of NYC and how liberals are ruining life for middle class NYers.

Also, please know that most of NorthEast Queens, where the best neighborhoods are located with large homes are also conservative. Similar to SI. So stay out of those places as well. Same goes for Southern Brooklyn (Marine Park/Dyker Heights areas).

And I always find it so hypocritical when white liberals like you complain about racism but refuse to live in a minority neighborhood. Instead you want to run to the safe, quiet, family life hills of SI filled with mostly white people. Go live in Brownsville and do something about this racism you speak of.

Old 08-15-2022, 02:52 AM

1,952 posts, read 1,300,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CityLover2458 View Post

You are creating issues where none exists. When buying a house your ONLY concern should be :

1. Is the area safe (low crime)?
2. Is there a high ratio of home owners?
3. Do the homeowners take care of their property?
4. What available amenities are close by? (Forget Starbucks! Are there private client services available at the banks, is there a tennis court or golf course nearby?) Strip mall is not an amenity. Good variety of amenities means that the families in the neighborhood are more financially secure and the neighborhood is not in decline or stagnant.
5. How are the schools?
6. Is there a hospital/good doctors close by?
7. Does the community members have a good relationship with law enforcement/fire dept? (It is all good to be woke until you need the police/fire department and realize the service is lacking in your community)

8. Is this a desirable area where other middle/upper middle class people want to live (ALWAYS HAVE AN EXIT STRATEGY WHEN YOU BUY!!!) Who is my target audience when I am ready to sell?

I own in the hood, in very vocal/bumper sticker middle class trump supporting neighborhood, and wealthy neighborhood. I lean conservative ( I grew up in a Pentecostal church, attending church 3 days a week) .
I don't discuss my affiliations. I think it is weird and uncouth the way everyone acts like what they put on their ballot somehow defines them.

I am a black immigrant woman (could never pass for anything but) and can tell you my BEST neighbors are conservative Trump Supporters.

What you see is what you get. They never ask me how I vote or think. They only care about maintaining the quality of the neighborhood and their home values. There are tons of family friendly activities to do. The schools are good.
I find people who obsess about 'woke ideals'/ equality disingenuous. I don't ever see them in the hood. I don't ever see them in the trenches trying to do anything tangible to improve these people lives. They only pay lip service and virtue signal.

If you plan to have kids you better make sure that you buy right so that you can gain equity to level up to a better neighborhood.

Old 08-15-2022, 03:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YorktownGal View Post
True!!!

Who talks to their neighbors about politics? It's "hi", "how are you", "what a nice garden, what's that plant called" and "did you see the new shop in town?"

If you are so focused on politics, you are the problem.

Amen. I speak to the neighbors about politics. Funny enough it is the minority neighbors in the 'lower' income neighborhoods who are now sick of the democrats shenanigans who are now most vocal. Everyone else is busy living their unbothered life.

My neighbors conversation:
"How was your vacation? This new restaurant opened up on. Your flowers are absolutely thriving. What did you feed them with this season?"
Would you like some vegetables from my garden?
"The swim team is having a meet at the pool on....."

My friend called me from Tuscany so I could see the sunset yesterday.

I thought people who were this obsessed about race and abortion only existed in the twitter-verse. Even the friends and families I know who live in the hood don't obsess about race the way social media makes it sound.

Old 08-15-2022, 03:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by islanders2021 View Post
Stay out of SI. It's a great place to live and raise a family, however you are a left wing liberal nutjob and YES YOU WILL NOT BE WELCOME. The area is mostly Italian ethnics, south shore anyway, who come from families affiliated military or civil servant service (aka nypd/fdny). These folks don't want liberals like you or Max Rose. And, yes, you will see a lot of Trump flags and signs. And no, it isn't getting more liberal because the younger generation are well informed of what's going on in the rest of NYC and how liberals are ruining life for middle class NYers.

Also, please know that most of NorthEast Queens, where the best neighborhoods are located with large homes are also conservative. Similar to SI. So stay out of those places as well. Same goes for Southern Brooklyn (Marine Park/Dyker Heights areas).

And I always find it so hypocritical when white liberals like you complain about racism but refuse to live in a minority neighborhood. Instead you want to run to the safe, quiet, family life hills of SI filled with mostly white people. Go live in Brownsville and do something about this racism you speak of.
As a black person I say amen! Very hypocritical. Ask them how they contribute to the betterment of minority neighborhoods? The politicians are always scamming. The super liberals don't want to live among the people they claim to care so much about and won't even provide tangible support to improve the lives of those in underserved neighborhoods.

Old 08-15-2022, 07:33 AM

106 posts, read 129,441 times
I agree…don’t move here…you sound insufferable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City