Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2022, 09:36 AM

1,898 posts, read 2,970,866 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilmoregal View Post
Same here. I’m hoping they figure out a weekly/monthly as well for it. That’s my major concern
I think people are confused. There is "unlimited" in the form of a fare cap. You will never be charged more than 33 bucks in a week with omni, effectively being the same thing as the 7 day unlimited metro card.

After the 12th ride (33 bucks worth of 2.75 fares) , when you tap your omny card there will be no charge until the week resets.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2022, 10:26 AM

2,862 posts, read 2,407,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikfleye3 View Post
I think people are confused. There is "unlimited" in the form of a fare cap. You will never be charged more than 33 bucks in a week with omni, effectively being the same thing as the 7 day unlimited metro card.

After the 12th ride (33 bucks worth of 2.75 fares) , when you tap your omny card there will be no charge until the week resets.
So we can put $33 on the reloadable card and be good for the week? Even if you put $33 on the card lets say on a Thursday?

Old 09-08-2022, 10:45 AM

1,898 posts, read 2,970,866 times
Quote:
So we can put $33 on the reloadable card and be good for the week? Even if you put $33 on the card lets say on a Thursday?
Introducing the weekly fare cap
Say hello to an easier, more equitable way to pay your fare: a new weekly fare cap with OMNY!

Take 12 paid OMNY trips with the same device or card starting Monday, and you’ll automatically ride free for the rest of the week through Sunday. Every week.

No need to buy a 7-Day Unlimited pass upfront. With OMNY, you pay only for the trips you take — and the more you ride, the sooner you’ll earn free trips.

Simply use your contactless credit or debit card, smartphone, wearable device, or OMNY card to pay your fare, and you’ll be one step closer to free rides.

How it works
The fare cap is available for full-fare OMNY trips on New York City Transit subways and local buses (Reduced-Fare coming soon).
You must use the same contactless credit or debit card, smart device, or OMNY card for each trip.
Customers will automatically receive free, unlimited rides for the rest of the week once they have paid $33 in fares — the same as taking 12 trips.
The seven-day period begins at 12 a.m. on Monday and ends at 11:59 p.m. on Sunday.

Once you’ve paid $33 for fares in a seven-day period (beginning at 12 a.m. on Monday and ending at 11:59 p.m. on Sunday), you can ride free for the rest of the week. Here’s an example:

A rider uses the subway to get to and from work, and takes it on weekends to go into Manhattan to meet friends. They also use the local buses in their neighborhood to run errands.
They use their smartphone to pay the fare, so each ride is $2.75.
After taking 12 trips, they have paid $33 in fares — the rest of the rides for the week will be free!

Old 09-08-2022, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikfleye3 View Post
Introducing the weekly fare cap
Say hello to an easier, more equitable way to pay your fare: a new weekly fare cap with OMNY!

Take 12 paid OMNY trips with the same device or card starting Monday, and you’ll automatically ride free for the rest of the week through Sunday. Every week.

No need to buy a 7-Day Unlimited pass upfront. With OMNY, you pay only for the trips you take — and the more you ride, the sooner you’ll earn free trips.

Simply use your contactless credit or debit card, smartphone, wearable device, or OMNY card to pay your fare, and you’ll be one step closer to free rides.

How it works
The fare cap is available for full-fare OMNY trips on New York City Transit subways and local buses (Reduced-Fare coming soon).
You must use the same contactless credit or debit card, smart device, or OMNY card for each trip.
Customers will automatically receive free, unlimited rides for the rest of the week once they have paid $33 in fares — the same as taking 12 trips.
The seven-day period begins at 12 a.m. on Monday and ends at 11:59 p.m. on Sunday.

Once you’ve paid $33 for fares in a seven-day period (beginning at 12 a.m. on Monday and ending at 11:59 p.m. on Sunday), you can ride free for the rest of the week. Here’s an example:

A rider uses the subway to get to and from work, and takes it on weekends to go into Manhattan to meet friends. They also use the local buses in their neighborhood to run errands.
They use their smartphone to pay the fare, so each ride is $2.75.
After taking 12 trips, they have paid $33 in fares — the rest of the rides for the week will be free!
Thanks!

Old 09-09-2022, 07:52 AM

1,604 posts, read 1,843,536 times
I used to get monthly pass metrocard but those days are over as I can just walk to go to the office now, no more daily train commute! Tapping my phone on the OMNY screen is very convenient so it doesn't matter whether metrocard is gonna be replaced by OMNY.

Old 09-09-2022, 10:44 AM

621 posts, read 241,332 times
The OMNY rollout has been awful. That said, it is far more convenient solution than the Metrocard. I still have big privacy/data sharing /cybersecurity issues with it and the parent company. But so long as I can reload my car without giving up my identity, I'm onboard. For now, I have to go 7/11 or CVS to reload. As for the 12 paid rides starting each Monday, again I think this is a much better solution than coughing up an upfront $125 or so each month.

Old 09-10-2022, 09:12 AM

25,375 posts, read 37,102,448 times
Quote:
"OMNY cards are $5 each before fares are added"
And THAT explains the reason to go "high tech...mo money, mo money, mo money?"

BTW, PATH has the same system 15 years ago, and they managed to get the senior discount working perfectly at the get-go.

Old 09-11-2022, 12:47 PM

18,478 posts, read 31,661,084 times
why even buy any of those OMNY cards?, when a credit card can be used.
I think I am going to get a separate credit card just for the subway use, then when the bill comes in, pay it, call it a day and never have to see if there is anything left on it, a balance, or any f that nonsense.

I think a credit card is the good for this as for me it will work out well, as I don't have to take mass transit that much.

I think the metro cards were nothing but a PITA, card expires, transferring balances to a new card not knowing how much money is left, etc, it was all a PITA.

Old 09-13-2022, 07:41 PM

I just realized students get to ride for free. Wonder if OMNY will honor that

Old 09-14-2022, 08:31 AM

1,943 posts, read 1,491,727 times
Quote:
I just realized students get to ride for free. Wonder if OMNY will honor that
They're going to have to. Although student cards are limited to only during the weekday between 5:30am-8:30pm.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City