Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2022, 09:09 AM

14 posts, read 8,871 times

Advertisements

Just wondering if there are any departments that still get the option. I know all the ones under mayoral control are def back to 5 days per week.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2022, 08:42 PM

2,330 posts, read 1,028,603 times
Lol. Imagine being an overpaid underworked government bureaucrat yet still pushing for more benefits. You guys barely work as it is now. If you want a remote job then join the private sector like the rest of us. And yes, I am entitled to criticize you because I'm a taxpayer.

Old 10-15-2022, 01:25 PM

16,028 posts, read 6,836,692 times
Are any NYC agencies/department still working remotely or hybrid?

I read that working from home is 47% more productive ( by 10 minutes per day and work one more day a week. )

If true Fine...........Now what to do with all the empty space no longer desirable for renting.

For every action there is an equal and opposite reaction.

Glad I'm no longer investing in concrete..............

Old 10-17-2022, 01:29 PM

Yes, your roughly $.5 contribution to my salary allows you to berate me without adding any meaningful dialogue or advice. But of course that should be expected of someone as pretentious as you (assuming my salary and workload/work ethic).

Go do some of the “hard work” you do in the private sector instead of addressing me with your worthless opinion. And enjoy this one interaction with me as the highlight of your miserable existence. Be gone!

Old 10-17-2022, 04:43 PM

1,034 posts, read 672,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiredofnyclife View Post
Lol. Imagine being an overpaid underworked government bureaucrat yet still pushing for more benefits. You guys barely work as it is now. If you want a remote job then join the private sector like the rest of us. And yes, I am entitled to criticize you because I'm a taxpayer.
The question is why do you insist on being miserable (and tired) living in this city? And it’s common knowledge that the private sector usually pays better for similar roles, so the comment is not only spiteful but ignorant. There’s also a high worker shortage in government now.

Old 10-17-2022, 06:15 PM

2,948 posts, read 1,258,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by speediestevie View Post
The question is why do you insist on being miserable (and tired) living in this city? And it’s common knowledge that the private sector usually pays better for similar roles, so the comment is not only spiteful but ignorant. There’s also a high worker shortage in government now.
Not true that the private sector pays better. That's way too broad a generalization. It's a meme that's been pushed by government workers for decades. It used to be true about 30+ years ago.

It's virtually impossible to compare roles between the private sector and the public sector. They're completely different worlds. Many in the public sector simply get paid to show up/clock in.

If you compared pay per unit of productivity, the vast majority of city employees come out on top.

Old 10-17-2022, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkhippie View Post
Yes, your roughly $.5 contribution to my salary allows you to berate me without adding any meaningful dialogue or advice. But of course that should be expected of someone as pretentious as you (assuming my salary and workload/work ethic).

Go do some of the “hard work” you do in the private sector instead of addressing me with your worthless opinion. And enjoy this one interaction with me as the highlight of your miserable existence. Be gone!
Most in NYC know that most city employees aren't even worth minimum wage. Especially those who sit in offices and barely even do the useless "work".

City jobs have just turned into a jobs program.

Old 10-17-2022, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esacni View Post
Most in NYC know that most city employees aren't even worth minimum wage. Especially those who sit in offices and barely even do the useless "work".

City jobs have just turned into a jobs program.
Yawn. Tell me your life is miserable without telling me you’re miserable. But I guess private sector would be better suited for coke heads. No random drug testing.

Old 10-17-2022, 07:28 PM

1,034 posts, read 672,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Esacni View Post
Not true that the private sector pays better. That's way too broad a generalization. It's a meme that's been pushed by government workers for decades. It used to be true about 30+ years ago.

It's virtually impossible to compare roles between the private sector and the public sector. They're completely different worlds. Many in the public sector simply get paid to show up/clock in.

If you compared pay per unit of productivity, the vast majority of city employees come out on top.
You can start comparing starting salaries for lawyers and any IT roles. This should be comparable enough. The private sector pays insanely more. Same with capital project managers or designers. And how’re you gonna tell overworked and underpaid ACS workers that they’re not productive enough?
Almost all union city titles( that’s a huge majority) right now are without a contract btw.

Old 10-17-2022, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by speediestevie View Post
You can start comparing starting salaries for lawyers and any IT roles. This should be comparable enough. The private sector pays insanely more. Same with capital project managers or designers. And how’re you gonna tell overworked and underpaid ACS workers that they’re not productive enough?
Most of the unionized city jobs( that’s a huge majority) right now are without a contract btw.
Lawyers? Plenty of private sector lawyers working 14 hour days and making peanuts. IT roles? Do you mean the people doing a bare minimum to handle 20 year old legacy systems that no private sector entity uses anymore because they're ancient?

Do you want to compare responsibilities and deliverables as well? There are virtually none in city government work except for select positions with real responsibilities and deliverables. I've come across enough to know that most people literally don't do much or do useless work. You just have to look at the productivity of the city and how money is spent. What do you think the ROI is on every dollar that the city spends?

What relevance does working without a contract hold? Are people not getting paid?

There are city workers who do actual, productive, positive ROI work. They're in the minority.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City