Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2022, 04:15 PM

978 posts, read 674,167 times

Advertisements

Ever since Debozio "relaxed" on recreational mary jane, they all have been smoking it. Smell it all the time while jogging. Thanks Deblasio
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2022, 04:33 PM

30,628 posts, read 18,209,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilmoregal View Post
"NYPD would arrest and/or cite you for openly smoking weed"

I didn't know they did that I've been smelling weed in the city for years. People are just more public about it like on trains instead of in alleys/on a corner
Maybe not in your parts, but they definitely did in my parts. And I certainly didn’t smell it constantly back then like I do now.

Old 10-18-2022, 04:42 PM

2,330 posts, read 1,029,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LookinForMayberry View Post
I don't actually know that is true. I don't know what studies have been done on the effects of pot v alcohol. Did you ask to speak to their supervisor? Did you take note of the construction company name and call them?
There are signs construction workers are required to post on site saying that if you see dangerous conditions to call and report. I did so.

Ingesting weed is no different from ingesting alcohol on a job site. Both are drugs which impair your ability to function. That's fine if you're on you're on your own time but here they are working. Their misbehaviour is a potential direct threat to themselves, their coworkers and the public.

Additionally, nearly all companies will require their employees to sign agreements to random drug testing. Insurance companies will also refuse to cover payments for accidents caused by intoxicated or high employees. The payments would instead have to come directly from the pockets of the employer making them 100% liable. Finally, if they're working on a federal contractor they are bound by federal law which still considers weed illegal. This applies to all contractors and sub contractors.

Source- I used to be a personal injury attorney paralegal and attended hundreds of conference calls and hearings and dozens of trials.

Old 10-18-2022, 05:31 PM

88,557 posts, read 84,738,350 times
Back in the early 90s my friend and I would go out at lunchtime and smoke weed. We were both lowish-level office workers in our 30s. We really were under the radar as long as we got our work done, and we did. Of course, no one was going to lose an eye because we were sitting stoned at a computer.

We would just walk on the streets around the World Trade Center or along the gardens at Battery Park City.

One time we left at lunchtime, and as we started walking, we noticed SWAT teams on the roofs of some of the buildings. President Clinton was visiting the Trade Center that day.

Not that they would care about two women in office clothes smoking a joint, but we made sure we were several blocks away that day before we lit up!

Old 10-19-2022, 09:59 AM

9,229 posts, read 8,546,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiredofnyclife View Post
There are signs construction workers are required to post on site saying that if you see dangerous conditions to call and report. I did so. ...
Good on you. Hopefully they will nip it in the bud.

Old 10-19-2022, 12:12 PM

2,330 posts, read 1,029,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Back in the early 90s my friend and I would go out at lunchtime and smoke weed. We were both lowish-level office workers in our 30s. We really were under the radar as long as we got our work done, and we did. Of course, no one was going to lose an eye because we were sitting stoned at a computer.

We would just walk on the streets around the World Trade Center or along the gardens at Battery Park City.

One time we left at lunchtime, and as we started walking, we noticed SWAT teams on the roofs of some of the buildings. President Clinton was visiting the Trade Center that day.

Not that they would care about two women in office clothes smoking a joint, but we made sure we were several blocks away that day before we lit up!
Yea. I don't care if you get high in front of a PC. I do care if you get high while operating a jackhammer 15 feet above me or driving a bulldozer. These activities require hand eye coordination.

Old 10-19-2022, 01:32 PM

88,557 posts, read 84,738,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiredofnyclife View Post
Yea. I don't care if you get high in front of a PC. I do care if you get high while operating a jackhammer 15 feet above me or driving a bulldozer. These activities require hand eye coordination.
Yeah, not a good idea. Surprised that they wouldn't be subject to random testing, though.

I remember a friend years ago saying her bf had gotten a job in a machine shop and that everyone smoked pot out back on breaks. She told him to be careful.

I asked if the machines he worked were dangerous, and she said, "Well yeah. He got the job because the previous guy lost his arm using the machine."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City