Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2022, 11:07 AM

2,330 posts, read 1,029,788 times

Advertisements

This is apparently becoming very common. I saw this in midtown by the buildings next to Lincoln center this morning. It's highly dangerous and stupid from a safety perspective. These geniuses were putting up scaffolding and had rigs and hard hats on. They were sitting at a bus stop smoking and rolling skunk weed joints. Where the hell is the supervisor? If they fall or drop tools on a pedestrian like myself they're liable. But apparently in NYC it's fashionable to get high whenever and wherever. Smoking weed while operating power tools is just like drinking alcohol while doing the same.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2022, 11:10 AM

2,862 posts, read 2,398,120 times
If their job doesn't do drug tests then that's their problem and they will have to deal with the consequences that follow if anything happens. btw pretty sure this has been happening even before weed was legal here..

Old 10-18-2022, 11:15 AM

2,330 posts, read 1,029,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilmoregal View Post
If their job doesn't do drug tests then that's their problem and they will have to deal with the consequences that follow if anything happens. btw pretty sure this has been happening even before weed was legal here..
I agree with you but also want to add it's also the problem of pedestrians walking around or under their work area.

Old 10-18-2022, 11:29 AM

88,564 posts, read 84,755,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiredofnyclife View Post
This is apparently becoming very common. I saw this in midtown by the buildings next to Lincoln center this morning. It's highly dangerous and stupid from a safety perspective. These geniuses were putting up scaffolding and had rigs and hard hats on. They were sitting at a bus stop smoking and rolling skunk weed joints. Where the hell is the supervisor? If they fall or drop tools on a pedestrian like myself they're liable. But apparently in NYC it's fashionable to get high whenever and wherever. Smoking weed while operating power tools is just like drinking alcohol while doing the same.
Supervisor is probably smoking with them.

But seriously, not a good idea for safety reasons.

Old 10-18-2022, 01:02 PM

30,633 posts, read 18,214,590 times
Quote:
Main difference is that there used to be a time where the NYPD would arrest and/or cite you for openly smoking weed, which isn't a thing anymore due to the change in legal regime.

Old 10-18-2022, 01:25 PM

5,521 posts, read 8,767,316 times
Yeah, it is bad for workers like these to get high on the job. Over many years, having the "liquid lunch" at offices has declined dramatically from what I've seen, as employers have found that it's just lousy to have employees reeking of alcohol all afternoon while productivity is declining. Let's hope that blue-collar bosses get as tough on this as white-collar bosses have gotten, for everybody's good.

Old 10-18-2022, 01:37 PM

9,229 posts, read 8,547,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiredofnyclife View Post
...Smoking weed while operating power tools is just like drinking alcohol while doing the same.
I don't actually know that is true. I don't know what studies have been done on the effects of pot v alcohol. Did you ask to speak to their supervisor? Did you take note of the construction company name and call them?

Old 10-18-2022, 03:33 PM

16,035 posts, read 6,840,321 times
Quote:
Yup ...............It has gone on for decades but random drug tests put an end to many an employee.

I worked 40 years and seen potheads, junkies and alcoholics come and go.............then rehab came around as a last
ditch effort to save their jobs.............Few were lucky to keep their jobs but many were not.

Old 10-18-2022, 03:37 PM

16,035 posts, read 6,840,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LookinForMayberry View Post
I don't actually know that is true. I don't know what studies have been done on the effects of pot v alcohol. Did you ask to speak to their supervisor? Did you take note of the construction company name and call them?

Although the effect s are different and vary person to person the common ground is that it impedes your potential to remain focused and work safely.

Any ingestion of mind altering substance eventually will impact your overall health........

Old 10-18-2022, 03:47 PM

2,862 posts, read 2,398,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
Main difference is that there used to be a time where the NYPD would arrest and/or cite you for openly smoking weed, which isn't a thing anymore due to the change in legal regime.
"NYPD would arrest and/or cite you for openly smoking weed"

I didn't know they did that I've been smelling weed in the city for years. People are just more public about it like on trains instead of in alleys/on a corner
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City