Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2022, 11:59 AM

37,167 posts, read 39,451,107 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MKTwet View Post
While tasty is subject, the reason transplants came here is to enjoy the local offerings. Instead what they’ve gotten was this overpriced, hyped, and watered down venues. Do I need to pay $30 for Tapas? Used to be some decent take outs and now just really overpriced niche ones. Can’t blame them, when the rents soared then mom&pop stores must close down in favor of smoke shops. I’ve seen more smoke shops popping up than delis.

I asked some ppl at work what pizzas they like in the area, they just tell me they just order Dominoe’s. Really? You moved here from Kansas or Minnesota just to order Dominoes pizza?

I think it's unlikely that there's going to be anything close to a united transplant desire for enjoying "local offerings" much less that you're going to be an accurate spokesperson for all of them. The people you work with if most of them are moving here for work are probably then doing white collar professional work and are here potentially *because* of work, so it's not some kind of given that they will be particularly interested in this area's local pizza since that might not be much of the reason for why they're here. Plus, Domino's is not pricey or hyped so I'm not sure if you really have a kind of internal consistency to your logic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2022, 02:25 PM

37,167 posts, read 39,451,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedog2 View Post
Lots of transplants moving into my neighborhood the last few years...almost all of them transplants who have gotten priced out of Manhattan,Queens and Brooklyn. Also a fair amount of NY natives, mostly younger, who have been priced out of Manhattan, Brooklyn and Queens. They leave the nest but can't afford to stay where they grew up.
When I moved to The Bronx from Brooklyn 13 years ago there was virtually no movement to The Bronx from outside The Bronx.People wouldn't touch it with a 10 foot pole. All of the people who bought in my building back then (except me) came from other Bronx neighborhoods. Now it's the total opposite. Virtually everyone moving into the building are from Manhattan, Queens or Brooklyn be they transplants or native NYers.

I'm curious about what compelled you to be such a pioneer? Did you have a job posted nearby or a SO who already lived there and you're moving in?

Old 10-27-2022, 02:59 PM

1,604 posts, read 1,842,684 times
For me personally, Sunnyside is more 'local' than LIC for Queens area! Sunnyside is more homey, it creates its own vibes like a little charming town & yet it's not far from the City!

Old 10-27-2022, 03:33 PM

14,057 posts, read 13,953,593 times
Quote:
While tasty is subject, the reason transplants came here is to enjoy the local offerings. Instead what they’ve gotten was this overpriced, hyped, and watered down venues. Do I need to pay $30 for Tapas? Used to be some decent take outs and now just really overpriced niche ones. Can’t blame them, when the rents soared then mom&pop stores must close down in favor of smoke shops. I’ve seen more smoke shops popping up than delis.

I asked some ppl at work what pizzas they like in the area, they just tell me they just order Dominoe’s. Really? You moved here from Kansas or Minnesota just to order Dominoes pizza?
Cities like NYC, LA, Miami, San Francisco is brand on social media a lot of YouTubers and TikTok people

Old 10-28-2022, 01:41 AM

790 posts, read 488,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wydings View Post
Bro I totally agree with you on the overpriced ethnic foods part lol. These transplants will over pay for some hyped up overpriced ethnic food and then write an article about it telling you how it’s the next hottest thing which suckers in even more transplants. It’s a never ending cycle.
Please explain to me what is ethnic food, as you non native new yorkers like to say? I've lived here all of my life, 50 years, in the most diverse borough in the world...queens...yet NOBODY I know that was born/raised here ever says "ethnic" food. We just say that "greek" place or that "mexican" place.

Do you consider pizza also to be ethnic food? It's Italian. What about an Irish bar? Is that ethnic? I'm Irish American but don't really consider myself ethnic. Just an American from NYC.

Old 10-28-2022, 01:42 AM

790 posts, read 488,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by someoneinqueens View Post
For me personally, Sunnyside is more 'local' than LIC for Queens area! Sunnyside is more homey, it creates its own vibes like a little charming town & yet it's not far from the City!
I grew up in Sunnyside in the 70s/80s. Nobody referred to it as a charming little town. Far from it, actually.

Old 10-28-2022, 04:28 AM

9,247 posts, read 24,086,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
I'm curious about what compelled you to be such a pioneer? Did you have a job posted nearby or a SO who already lived there and you're moving in?
It was time to "settle in."
I am a retired NYC teacher. At the time I was living Williamsburg and working in The Bronx. My commute was well over an hour, frequently an hour and a half. At about the same time, I came to the realization that it was past time to buy rather than rent.
While most people at the time were trash talking The Bronx like it was the 1970's and 1980's, I knew it wasn't that bad because I was there every day....and my job was in what most people thought was a really bad area! When I made the decision to really start looking in The Bronx I was amazed by a lot of the neighborhoods... on weekends I would pick a neighborhood and go and walk around, hang out , go to restaurants and look at apartments for sale. I was also amazed by the the quality and size of apartments and the prices.
I did a lot of research over more than a year, picked my neighborhood and building and bought an apartment. By doing so I got twice as much space in a much nicer building, cut my monthly expenses in half and cut my commute to 20 mins.
It was sort of a no brainer once I got started.

Last edited by bluedog2; 10-28-2022 at 04:38 AM..

Old 10-28-2022, 06:00 AM

16,093 posts, read 6,863,630 times
I always question someone's opinion on good or bad neighborhoods for my own concerns.

A neighborhood is only as good as it's crime stats.
If an individuals is convinced that the high crime neighborhood they are living in is an oasis
of tranquility it only goes to show that they have been conditioned to accept such criminal behavior as normal.
This is how human nature works. Repetition over time mentally dilutes your reaction and responses to your surroundings.

Now the Report. Fact check if you will.

The South Bronx scores a 59/100 ...........and F on Crime................
Mott Haven scores a 60/100.......Failing Grade.
The upside?
So yeah cost of living 35% lower than N.Y.C.
The average 44% lower rental ,87% lower real estate prices all in exchange
for a Mott Haven crime rate that is 143% above the New York Average.
Take that to the Bank dear investors.....errrr........that is, if you can make it
there in one piece without getting robbed.

Riverdale is the exception scoring a 71% and an A- on crime. Very important.
20% of apartments averaging up to $2,000. The average is $1,800 for a one bedroom.
60% of the apartments in Riverdale run between $2,000 and $ 4,800.
10% of the apartments in Riverdale run between $4,800 and $7,500
with the remainder running $7,500 and up.

There are 37 other neighborhoods in New York that score better
on rentals prices with lower crime rates.

Data never lies.......... only people and what they convince themselves to believe.

Old 10-28-2022, 06:06 AM

16,093 posts, read 6,863,630 times
Quote:
When I was a transplant, I asked my uncle where to live in NYC and he said LIC. So I took his word for it, eventually I moved out after 6 years in the area. LIC while being close to Manhattan was very poorly designed around. Filled with old buildings, factories, cramped houses, and slow subway. I moved to Jackson Heights and loved there better even though it’s further but nothing beats having multiple subway train lines, buses, and better ethnic food.

Today I go to many of these transplant areas, the food is just corporate shops and overpriced ethnic food. All the good mom&pop ethnic eats are no longer around at many of these places. It’s sad that many great cheap Greek food places are gone in LIC. Gentrification has brought more traffic to the area and higher population density but no way would I pay over $2600 for an apt in these places when I can rent or buy elsewhere for more value.

My opinion:
Developers ( unless they are living there ) have ruined the fabric of many a neighborhood.

Old 10-28-2022, 08:19 AM

1,604 posts, read 1,842,684 times
By looking at the development in 2000's (not 70/80's) Sunnyside has become a charming little town. I was a Sunnysider for a long time & I still love Sunnyside though I no longer live there!

Quote:
Originally Posted by islanders2021 View Post
I grew up in Sunnyside in the 70s/80s. Nobody referred to it as a charming little town. Far from it, actually.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City