Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2022, 04:51 AM

14,066 posts, read 13,977,144 times

Advertisements

Gentrifying Mott Haven, The Bronx is rank 4th most searched neighborhoods in the borough in term of people looking to move. The southern section is seeing high rise luxury condos pop up along waterfront and high end restaurants setting up shops. Riverdale is most popular Bronx neighborhood know for some of best private schools and homes in the city. The median asking rent was $2,625 on average.

The rest of the city https://www.cnbc.com/amp/2022/10/26/...treeteasy.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2022, 08:42 AM

9,247 posts, read 24,096,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BPt111 View Post
Gentrifying Mott Haven, The Bronx is rank 4th most searched neighborhoods in the borough in term of people looking to move. The southern section is seeing high rise luxury condos pop up along waterfront and high end restaurants setting up shops. Riverdale is most popular Bronx neighborhood know for some of best private schools and homes in the city. The median asking rent was $2,625 on average.

The rest of the city https://www.cnbc.com/amp/2022/10/26/...treeteasy.html
lol, Williamsbridge the 3rd most popular in The Bronx ?

"Williamsbridge is a neighborhood geographically located in the north-central portion of the Bronx in New York City. Its boundaries, starting from the north and moving clockwise are East 222nd Street to the north, Boston Road to the east, East Gun Hill Road to the south, and the Bronx River to the west."

Something seriously wrong there.Not buying it at all.

Old 10-27-2022, 08:43 AM

3,258 posts, read 1,700,488 times
It’s obviously most of these areas are popularized by transplants. 20 years ago you look at the lists and would draw skeptism and laughter by many NYers.

Old 10-27-2022, 09:11 AM

37,238 posts, read 39,519,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MKTwet View Post
It’s obviously most of these areas are popularized by transplants. 20 years ago you look at the lists and would draw skeptism and laughter by many NYers.

That would make sense since it's likely that quite a few of the people with money are transplants or immigrants. This isn't saying that a large proportion of transplants and immigrants have money, but instead that a large proportion of the people who have enough money to buy property in NYC are transplants and immigrants.

Old 10-27-2022, 09:35 AM

2,862 posts, read 2,412,794 times
"The median asking rent was $2,625 on average."

This is true. I was looking a few weeks ago and its very hard to find a 1 bed under 2k in that area. Crazy to me. Brownsville will soon be on this list. Rents are hiking up in that are as well

Old 10-27-2022, 09:35 AM

9,247 posts, read 24,096,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
That would make sense since it's likely that quite a few of the people with money are transplants or immigrants. This isn't saying that a large proportion of transplants and immigrants have money, but instead that a large proportion of the people who have enough money to buy property in NYC are transplants and immigrants.
Lots of transplants moving into my neighborhood the last few years...almost all of them transplants who have gotten priced out of Manhattan,Queens and Brooklyn. Also a fair amount of NY natives, mostly younger, who have been priced out of Manhattan, Brooklyn and Queens. They leave the nest but can't afford to stay where they grew up.
When I moved to The Bronx from Brooklyn 13 years ago there was virtually no movement to The Bronx from outside The Bronx.People wouldn't touch it with a 10 foot pole. All of the people who bought in my building back then (except me) came from other Bronx neighborhoods. Now it's the total opposite. Virtually everyone moving into the building are from Manhattan, Queens or Brooklyn be they transplants or native NYers.

Old 10-27-2022, 09:51 AM

When I was a transplant, I asked my uncle where to live in NYC and he said LIC. So I took his word for it, eventually I moved out after 6 years in the area. LIC while being close to Manhattan was very poorly designed around. Filled with old buildings, factories, cramped houses, and slow subway. I moved to Jackson Heights and loved there better even though it’s further but nothing beats having multiple subway train lines, buses, and better ethnic food.

Today I go to many of these transplant areas, the food is just corporate shops and overpriced ethnic food. All the good mom&pop ethnic eats are no longer around at many of these places. It’s sad that many great cheap Greek food places are gone in LIC. Gentrification has brought more traffic to the area and higher population density but no way would I pay over $2600 for an apt in these places when I can rent or buy elsewhere for more value.

Old 10-27-2022, 10:21 AM

209 posts, read 101,899 times
Bro I totally agree with you on the overpriced ethnic foods part lol. These transplants will over pay for some hyped up overpriced ethnic food and then write an article about it telling you how it’s the next hottest thing which suckers in even more transplants. It’s a never ending cycle.

Old 10-27-2022, 10:30 AM

37,238 posts, read 39,519,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wydings View Post
Bro I totally agree with you on the overpriced ethnic foods part lol. These transplants will over pay for some hyped up overpriced ethnic food and then write an article about it telling you how it’s the next hottest thing which suckers in even more transplants. It’s a never ending cycle.

Yea, and it's at times someone not even of the culture who made an exciting discovery opening up or working as head chef at the restaurant. Sometimes it's pretty tasty, sometimes it's not, and it's generally on the pricier side of things. The thing is, if it's in these neighborhoods where lots of people were already priced out of before, then the commercial real estate is probably somewhat expensive and meanwhile the people who can afford to live there likely also have a pretty large amount of disposable income where even when the food is "overpriced" the convenience of it being in the neighborhood versus the proportion and amount of disposable income they have available versus the time value of going to elsewhere for a cheaper, more "authentic" meal can still work out to lots of people who don't have any issue, including financial issues, with paying those prices. So there's not necessarily a sucker there as it really *is* pretty nice to be that wealthy / make that much money.

Last edited by OyCrumbler; 10-27-2022 at 11:49 AM..

Old 10-27-2022, 11:52 AM

While tasty is subject, the reason transplants came here is to enjoy the local offerings. Instead what they’ve gotten was this overpriced, hyped, and watered down venues. Do I need to pay $30 for Tapas? Used to be some decent take outs and now just really overpriced niche ones. Can’t blame them, when the rents soared then mom&pop stores must close down in favor of smoke shops. I’ve seen more smoke shops popping up than delis.

I asked some ppl at work what pizzas they like in the area, they just tell me they just order Dominoe’s. Really? You moved here from Kansas or Minnesota just to order Dominoes pizza?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City