Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2022, 09:25 AM

9,246 posts, read 24,066,953 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Retired View Post
I always question someone's opinion on good or bad neighborhoods for my own concerns.

A neighborhood is only as good as it's crime stats.
If an individuals is convinced that the high crime neighborhood they are living in is an oasis
of tranquility it only goes to show that they have been conditioned to accept such criminal behavior as normal.
This is how human nature works. Repetition over time mentally dilutes your reaction and responses to your surroundings.

Now the Report. Fact check if you will.

The South Bronx scores a 59/100 ...........and F on Crime................
Mott Haven scores a 60/100.......Failing Grade.
The upside?
So yeah cost of living 35% lower than N.Y.C.
The average 44% lower rental ,87% lower real estate prices all in exchange
for a Mott Haven crime rate that is 143% above the New York Average.
Take that to the Bank dear investors.....errrr........that is, if you can make it
there in one piece without getting robbed.

Riverdale is the exception scoring a 71% and an A- on crime. Very important.
20% of apartments averaging up to $2,000. The average is $1,800 for a one bedroom.
60% of the apartments in Riverdale run between $2,000 and $ 4,800.
10% of the apartments in Riverdale run between $4,800 and $7,500
with the remainder running $7,500 and up.

There are 37 other neighborhoods in New York that score better
on rentals prices with lower crime rates.

Data never lies.......... only people and what they convince themselves to believe.
I have been living in NYC for getting close to 50 years and have lived in multiple neighborhoods in 4 boroughs during that time. I have never met or spoken with a single person who lived in a high crime neighborhood who was convinced that they lived in an oasis of tranquility or who had "conditioned themselves to accept criminal behavior." They all were/are very(often painfully) aware of their surroundings.

While Ii's easy to understand that you think "a neighborhood is only as good as it's crime stats" there are others who think a neighborhood is only as good as it's proximity to public transportation or it's proximity to stores ,restaurants , bars, family, work, parks or any number of things. Some people have no or very little choice, and some insist on making their decisions based on only one or two criteria ( like crime rates). Most of us make the decision based on many,many factors. Because someone's criteria in determining what is a "good neighborhood" for them might be different from yours doesn't mean they are deluded or oblivious to what's going on.

Last edited by bluedog2; 10-28-2022 at 09:33 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2022, 09:53 AM

3,180 posts, read 1,654,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
I think it's unlikely that there's going to be anything close to a united transplant desire for enjoying "local offerings" much less that you're going to be an accurate spokesperson for all of them. The people you work with if most of them are moving here for work are probably then doing white collar professional work and are here potentially *because* of work, so it's not some kind of given that they will be particularly interested in this area's local pizza since that might not be much of the reason for why they're here. Plus, Domino's is not pricey or hyped so I'm not sure if you really have a kind of internal consistency to your logic.
I've given a lot of these transplant workers where to look instead of being shepard into overpriced locations.
The notion that you must live like within 30mins of NYC should be tossed out if you want good value. Plus, being close to NYC work has negative impacts to your life if you plan on having children. A lot of young well to do transplants are just terrible with their thought process.

I told them if you live within NYC and you have kids, have you checked prices of daycare? Have you read the news about the public school system here? Once you have kids you'll be looking around for new apt and you want none of NYC's education issues.

A lot of them had not think about those stuff and I said that's the problem, don't think short term and get stuck overpaying in a hellhole.

Old 10-28-2022, 10:16 AM

16,028 posts, read 6,831,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedog2 View Post
I have been living in NYC for getting close to 50 years and have lived in multiple neighborhoods in 4 boroughs during that time. I have never met or spoken with a single person who lived in a high crime neighborhood who was convinced that they lived in an oasis of tranquility or who had "conditioned themselves to accept criminal behavior." They all were/are very(often painfully) aware of their surroundings.

While Ii's easy to understand that you think "a neighborhood is only as good as it's crime stats" there are others who think a neighborhood is only as good as it's proximity to public transportation or it's proximity to stores ,restaurants , bars, family, work, parks or any number of things. Some people have no or very little choice, and some insist on making their decisions based on only one or two criteria ( like crime rates). Most of us make the decision based on many,many factors. Because someone's criteria in determining what is a "good neighborhood" for them might be different from yours doesn't mean they are deluded or oblivious to what's going on.

Understand what you are saying. Happy for you and your decision in owning a home.
You are miles ahead of everybody else regardless of where you live. Well done.
Let me add.

Conditioned and deluded/oblivious are results of choices people have made.
I would tend to lean towards sacrificing easy access to proximity and amenities for an affordable and safer environment.
I would question the logic of moving into a neighborhood with high crime because of it's cheap rent but proximity to all.
Then again.............different motivations. I am convinced that lower crime goes hand in hand with a better neighborhood and quality of life.

In the end it all works out and I can only say.....

Best wishes to those who are conditioned to drinking Gallo, an inexpensive and yet quaffable wine
but heaven help those who are deluded into thinking they are drinking Chateau Cheval Blanc.

Last edited by Mr.Retired; 10-28-2022 at 10:30 AM..

Old 10-28-2022, 11:32 AM

2,862 posts, read 2,394,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MKTwet View Post
I've given a lot of these transplant workers where to look instead of being shepard into overpriced locations.
The notion that you must live like within 30mins of NYC should be tossed out if you want good value. Plus, being close to NYC work has negative impacts to your life if you plan on having children. A lot of young well to do transplants are just terrible with their thought process.

I told them if you live within NYC and you have kids, have you checked prices of daycare? Have you read the news about the public school system here? Once you have kids you'll be looking around for new apt and you want none of NYC's education issues.

A lot of them had not think about those stuff and I said that's the problem, don't think short term and get stuck overpaying in a hellhole.
The transplants moving here are in their early 20's and are not thinking about having kids. Transplants do not stay in the 'new hottest' neighborhoods here for long.

The thing about NYC is that there will always be a new wave of transplants. I remember a few years ago Bushwick was where transplants were running to, then LIC. Neighborhoods will continue to change as developers continue to gentrify neighborhoods to attract these transplants who dont know any better

One thing you can count on is things changing. Those of us who grew up here have seen our home neighborhoods change in ways we couldn't imagine.

Old 10-31-2022, 05:34 AM

N.Y.C. has always been a transient location.
Within the 5 boroughs Cultures have sprung over the decades.
Little, Italy, China Town, etc.....but because of this incessant drive
by governments to continually blend culture,religious and racial
identities (under the names of equity and diversification) the only
2 elements that remain ( like oil and vinegar ) is wealth and poverty.

Unfortunately , to much oil and vinegar makes for a sloppy salad.

Old 10-31-2022, 06:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by someoneinqueens View Post
By looking at the development in 2000's (not 70/80's) Sunnyside has become a charming little town. I was a Sunnysider for a long time & I still love Sunnyside though I no longer live there!
I traveled through Sunnyside for decades.
I found in many instances the mix of commercial and rowhomes and apartment building a bit constraining as to
the more open spaces of other neighborhoods.

Never thought of it as a eye appealing neighborhood although I found it to be very quiet.

Last edited by Mr.Retired; 10-31-2022 at 06:17 AM..

Old 10-31-2022, 11:19 AM

37,119 posts, read 39,337,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedog2 View Post
It was time to "settle in."
I am a retired NYC teacher. At the time I was living Williamsburg and working in The Bronx. My commute was well over an hour, frequently an hour and a half. At about the same time, I came to the realization that it was past time to buy rather than rent.
While most people at the time were trash talking The Bronx like it was the 1970's and 1980's, I knew it wasn't that bad because I was there every day....and my job was in what most people thought was a really bad area! When I made the decision to really start looking in The Bronx I was amazed by a lot of the neighborhoods... on weekends I would pick a neighborhood and go and walk around, hang out , go to restaurants and look at apartments for sale. I was also amazed by the the quality and size of apartments and the prices.
I did a lot of research over more than a year, picked my neighborhood and building and bought an apartment. By doing so I got twice as much space in a much nicer building, cut my monthly expenses in half and cut my commute to 20 mins.
It was sort of a no brainer once I got started.

Having seen the area repeatedly due to your job and then saving a ton on commute and housing expenses seems like a pretty natural progression--glad it's worked out!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MKTwet View Post

I think there's a bit of a disconnect where you're talking about these people getting fleeced in your opinion by the restaurants here and then at the same time talking about them going for Dominoes pizza over the other pizza options available. Do you understand why that might be seen as inconsistent? It also still has little to do with what I said earlier which is that there's no united transplant sentiment since that's not a really category for income, personal finances, or preferences in terms of eating out.

Yes, the city is expensive relative to most of the rest of the US. For some people, that cost is crippling, and for some, it's not, and there's a pretty wide gamut in between. And for almost everyone, there are going to be periods where the costs and priorities change a lot. However, it's not like living in a NYC neighborhood at one point means you're tied to it for life. Most of that isn't really specific to NYC though, because it applies elsewhere as well. Unfortunately, the cost of living in general in the US and in many other parts of the world, has been increasing faster than median income has. It's exacerbated in NYC as housing prices, or more generally, real estate prices have gone up quite a bit and more markedly here than in many other places. That means a "livable" wage is going to be higher to account for those large housing cost increases and businesses like retail/restaurants will have higher rents which they'd price back into the goods sold. Meanwhile, compensation for work has been going through greater and greater variance, and it's been the case that the relatively few that got to higher rungs on the economic ladder have an easier and easier time while pretty much everyone else is having a harder time. It's exciting stuff like maxing out social security contributions and 401K contributions, often with pretty good employer matching, early in then year and then getting odd instruments like megabackdoor Roth IRAs before that also gets maxed and then just watching the take home paychecks go into seemingly absurd amounts after that and meanwhile people around you are struggling with where to move out to because rent has gone up yet again. That's not new or idiosyncratic to NYC, but it is a problem that's in many ways worse here.

Last edited by OyCrumbler; 10-31-2022 at 12:06 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City