Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2022, 06:57 AM

10 posts, read 7,767 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone,

Thank you advanced for any feedback!

Husband and I are looking to buy a coop at some point this spring/summer. We are looking around Riverdale area, Pelham, Yonkers, edgewater in the Bronx. Our goal is to eventually own a house, but for now it makes no sense to keep renting in NYC.

This whole process will be new to us so I am trying to prepare. Our combined income is 100K, and we would be using an FHA loan. What is the likelihood that we would get approved by a board based on your experiences?

We are looking for 2BDRM with a balcony for our dog to have some outdoor space.

He’s in law enforcement and I work part time on my own psychotherapy private practice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2022, 07:11 AM

1,056 posts, read 541,921 times
I can't answer that but what I would do - start going to open houses in your target area. Talk to some realtors. Make sure they are local realtors, meaning most of their business is in Riverdale, etc. (each area probably has their own local realtors).

They will have insight into which buildings have more stringent boards.

Also check if any buildings still have any sponsor units, then you wouldn't have to get your financials approved.

Old 11-03-2022, 07:18 AM

9,246 posts, read 24,066,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvargas27 View Post
Hello everyone,

Thank you advanced for any feedback!

Husband and I are looking to buy a coop at some point this spring/summer. We are looking around Riverdale area, Pelham, Yonkers, edgewater in the Bronx. Our goal is to eventually own a house, but for now it makes no sense to keep renting in NYC.

This whole process will be new to us so I am trying to prepare. Our combined income is 100K, and we would be using an FHA loan. What is the likelihood that we would get approved by a board based on your experiences?

We are looking for 2BDRM with a balcony for our dog to have some outdoor space.

He’s in law enforcement and I work part time on my own psychotherapy private practice.
Should work if you have little or no debt and good credit scores. Income is only part of the equation. Most
co op boards will want to see that your mortgage payment, the monthly maintenance of the apartment and the carrying charges on all other debt of any kind total no more than 30% of your income.

Take the time to carefully analyze the financial condition of any co op you might be interested in. Most people just don't do this and real estate brokers cannot be relied upon at all. They are mostly clueless. Financial soundness of co ops varies a lot...from very sound to total wrecks.

Last edited by bluedog2; 11-03-2022 at 07:29 AM..

Old 11-03-2022, 07:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metromoxo View Post
I can't answer that but what I would do - start going to open houses in your target area. Talk to some realtors. Make sure they are local realtors, meaning most of their business is in Riverdale, etc. (each area probably has their own local realtors).

They will have insight into which buildings have more stringent boards.

Also check if any buildings still have any sponsor units, then you wouldn't have to get your financials approved.
When I bought a sponsor unit years ago the sponsor had virtually the same financial requirements as the board. Knowing what I have learned about co ops I would completely avoid any building where the sponsor was selling units without approval of financials. It could indicate that they are just out to sell and filling the building with unqualified buyers. That's a recipe for disaster.

Last edited by bluedog2; 11-03-2022 at 07:34 AM..

Old 11-03-2022, 07:27 AM

1,056 posts, read 541,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedog2 View Post
When I bought a sponsor unit years ago the sponsor had virtually the same financial requirements as the board.
Oh.

Old 11-03-2022, 07:29 AM

My credit score is good 780, however my husbands is in the 600s

Old 11-03-2022, 07:46 AM

Quote:
My credit score is good 780, however my husbands is in the 600s
600's is a bit iffy but not disqualifying.

This building in Pelham Parkway is very solid financially and has balconies. Also in a quiet area and very close to everything. It is worth checking into. https://streeteasy.com/building/665-...es-place-bronx

Old 11-03-2022, 08:36 AM

I also been reading that you can’t use FHA loans for co ops. Is that accurate?

Old 11-03-2022, 09:01 AM

Quote:
I also been reading that you can’t use FHA loans for co ops. Is that accurate?
Not true. Some do allow them and some don't. The overriding issue is the % downpayment. If a co op has a strict downpayment (even if only 5% or 10%) it can conflict with the minimum FHA which is 3.5%. In that case you would be expected to have the balance of the co op minimum even though you could get an FHA loan. Some co ops have no minimum downpayment percentage so a 3.5% FHA loan would be no problem.

Last edited by bluedog2; 11-03-2022 at 09:10 AM..

Old 11-04-2022, 04:10 AM

106,568 posts, read 108,713,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedog2 View Post
When I bought a sponsor unit years ago the sponsor had virtually the same financial requirements as the board. Knowing what I have learned about co ops I would completely avoid any building where the sponsor was selling units without approval of financials. It could indicate that they are just out to sell and filling the building with unqualified buyers. That's a recipe for disaster.
We were the sponsors and set our own terms for those we sold to ..

We were even willing to sell to our remaining last two existing rent stabilized tenants in the coop converted building at no money down and 50% off the market value .
As well as we were willing to finance it for a few years before they even had to deal with a mortgage .

They didn’t buy which was foolish . They could have had a million dollar apartment for half and had 500 or 600k equity day one .

now we sold them to an investor group and the deals off the table.

The tenants were hoping for a better deal .

We ended up selling for less then half to the investor group but I wouldn’t give them to the tenants for less just on principal.

So they lost the opportunity of a lifetime

Last edited by mathjak107; 11-04-2022 at 04:19 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: