Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2022, 08:34 AM

106,793 posts, read 109,020,929 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
My gripe is not over pennies. Extra Large eggs were $1.49 a year ago and $7.40 this week at the same market.

I am too old and overqualified for anyone to hire me to go back to work.
Damn , we paid 2.29 in queens in target a week or so ago and they show they are 3.29 now if purchased on line , so blame your location not egg prices.

Organic eggs can be expensive but not plain ole eggs

https://www.target.com/p/grade-a-ext...E&gclsrc=aw.ds

Last edited by mathjak107; 12-10-2022 at 08:47 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2022, 01:50 PM

19 posts, read 7,521 times
A good amount of the eggs in the stores were laid weeks ago, some maybe even months ago and then stored in refrigerators. I select eggs by opening the carton to take a peak and see what looks freshest. Sometimes the most expensive eggs that are labeled free range look like old news.

Ditto with Romaine lettuce. The stuff labeled organic does not look as fresh as the ordinary and I usually expect organic to be a scam or a half-lie in numerous ways.

Old 12-15-2022, 08:45 AM

25,378 posts, read 37,110,432 times
My going back to work is as foreign to me as Swahili.

Quote:
Organic eggs can be expensive but not plain ole eggs
I have NEVER bought a so-called organic egg in my entire long lifetime.

Yes, I am well aware that I pay a premium in Manhattan but I am comparing apples with apples and the egg price increase I am bemoaning is in the same Manhattan market that regularly had weekend specials of extra-large eggs for $.99. This sale price went on dependably for more than two years.
(During the week the price returned to $1.49.)

Oh yeah lettuce: I bought a head of Red-leaf last month at C-Town (E.89th St.) for $1.69, same as usual. Feeling in the mood for a nice salad, I priced it this week: $6.79. So, no salad for me.

One price DID come down, surprisingly.. Key Food is offering boneless skinless chicken breasts for $1.99/lb. That is the same sale price that they offered 10 years ago.

So now, to paraphrase, "What goes down first, the chicken or the egg?"

Old 12-15-2022, 09:22 AM

Food and energy are very volatile items ..one week strawberries or blue berries are 4 bucks or more and then 1.50 .

While the cpi does include food and energy the core inflation does not as that is less the food and energy group .

All the cpi’s have nothing to do with anyone’s actual cost of living .

They simply take the temperature of the 1500 mini economies that make up this country .

It is only a price change index … it tracks loads of items including many things you have no use for .

You may buy an item multiple times while others buy it once …

We also tend to substitute way out of class . I know if the ice cream I like isn’t on sale I will buy something totally different.

So you really can’t use food to judge monetary inflation, which is why , while the cpi-u and cpi- w include food and energy , the core does not

Old 12-15-2022, 09:31 AM

6,692 posts, read 6,045,403 times
So called "organic eggs" and plain ol' eggs are the same. It's a marketing gimmick.

If you want healthy eggs, "pasture raised" is the way to go.

Old 12-15-2022, 12:12 PM

Government likes to LOOK GOOD and competent and high inflation makes them look BAD and incompetent.

So when food and energy go sky high they report CORE inflation making the inflation rate look better.

BUT when gasoline goes down a dime, that is the only figure trumpetedP: GASOLINE PRICES DECREASED LAST MONTH. Big whoop.

"Core inflation" is a joke when food and energy eat up so much of so many lower income budgets and are two items that CANNOT be done without.

Old 12-15-2022, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Government likes to LOOK GOOD and competent and high inflation makes them look BAD and incompetent.

So when food and energy go sky high they report CORE inflation making the inflation rate look better.

BUT when gasoline goes down a dime, that is the only figure trumpetedP: GASOLINE PRICES DECREASED LAST MONTH. Big whoop.

"Core inflation" is a joke when food and energy eat up so much of so many lower income budgets and are two items that CANNOT be done without.
no you are wrong .

the headline number is the one trumpeted like monday . it includes food and energy . that is the number in every headline .

the cpi-w is the one social security , most pensions , etc are linked to and that includes food and energy .

the cpi-u includes food and energy

when they report they always give you the cpi-u , cpi-w and core inflation .

but to say the highly publicized headline number does not contain food and energy is false .

the cpi-w is the number most important to us as retirees . that is the one social security follows

ECO 101

Headline Inflation Explained
As it includes all aspects within an economy that experience inflation, headline inflation is not adjusted to remove highly volatile figures, including those that can shift regardless of economic conditions. Headline inflation is often closely related to shifts in the cost of living, which provides useful information to consumers within the marketplace.

The headline figure is not adjusted for seasonality or for the often-volatile elements of food and energy prices, which are removed in the core CPI. Headline inflation is usually quoted on an annualized basis, meaning that a monthly headline figure of 4% inflation equates to a monthly rate that, if repeated for 12 months, would create 4% inflation for the year. Comparisons of headline inflation are typically made on a year-over-year basis, also known as top-line inflation.

Last edited by mathjak107; 12-15-2022 at 01:46 PM..

Old 12-19-2022, 11:13 AM

Quote:
the headline number is the one trumpeted like monday . it includes food and energy . that is the number in every headline .
You and I obviously read very different headlines.

Old 12-19-2022, 11:18 AM

Quote:
You and I obviously read very different headlines.
There is only one headline inflation number …that is the one publicized …there is only one number. by definition which is the highly publicized one known as headline inflation

Old 12-20-2022, 03:01 PM

2,948 posts, read 1,265,193 times
The sheer amount of EBT in NYC plays a much larger role than many realize. EBT users will pay more for staple groceries. Grocers, especially independent and smaller chains have finally realized this.

EBT users demand is far more inelastic than non EBT users. There is enough EBT money in NYC to influence prices.

https://www.cnn.com/2022/09/30/polit...ase/index.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City