Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2022, 06:05 AM

1,853 posts, read 1,955,639 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Retired View Post
It boggles the mind how so few are willing to sacrifice time and transportation for savings.
A 2 bed room can be had for $2,500 in Queens. Wouldn't be surprised if also given access
to laundry room , parking and yard.

But then again it's not the city...........and that's what young folks for reasons unknown strive towards........
Time and transportation (in NYC) are worth more than money if you can afford it. The OP is right to be looking in Manhattan if his/her work/life priorities are there. No one wants to waste their time commuting from Queens or dealing with the nasty subways unless they have to. I have been taking Ubers to my midtown office from Queens and am not a fan. I do this once a week, and the traffic/nonsense is not worth it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2022, 06:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
There are plenty of studios in your price range and below that. The one thing that will be a bit tougher is finding a renovated place. On the Upper East Side, you are paying for convenience and location having so many eateries, shopping, etc. right outside your door, but you should get a broker and make it clear that you are specifically looking for a renovated apartment (they do exist on the Upper East).

My ex girlfriend lived in the area and scored a nice studio in a relatively new building. The thing is with the Upper East is most of what is coming online that is new is high-end luxury, often times to purchase.

Personally I would search more in Yorkville because it is not prime Upper East Side and so a landlord might be more willing to renovate since you are a bit more out of the way to prime shopping (of course you have it on York, 1st Av, 2nd & 3rd, etc.), but a bit more of a schlepp.

Here's an example:

https://streeteasy.com/building/339-...et-new_york/3d

I would move into that. Bathroom looks renovated. Get yourself a table for prep or a rolling island that could double as a place to eat and it's fine. The layout is quirky, but doable if you use your imagination. You can buy some more storage also if needed and maybe work out something with the landlord. One of my first apartments was something like this, but I had an actual kitchen island and a balcony. Lots of fun. Open the balcony door up on nice days and it's like extended living space. You can't sit outside like I could, but still nice for fresh air.
This is good advice. I think you are spot on about UES. I actually like Yorkville, right by East End Avenue near Gracie Mansion. That area is almost serene for New York City, and the distance away from shopping/points of interest tends to keep NYC lowlives away as well. The other day, I saw a panhandler in front of St. Joseph's church on 87th and 1st. Talk about annoying to be coming out of Sunday service to be hassled by some dodgy guy.

Overall, the best deals will be found in walk-ups that have been renovated. New construction is most definitely out of the OPs budget unless he/she can qualify for affordable housing.

Old 12-14-2022, 03:22 PM

3,208 posts, read 1,671,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by New Englander View Post
Time and transportation (in NYC) are worth more than money if you can afford it. The OP is right to be looking in Manhattan if his/her work/life priorities are there. No one wants to waste their time commuting from Queens or dealing with the nasty subways unless they have to. I have been taking Ubers to my midtown office from Queens and am not a fan. I do this once a week, and the traffic/nonsense is not worth it.
I think to some degree living in NYC can be more time consuming than outside of the city. If you only live to work, move somewhere to work say pay $3500/month to live 10mins within walking distance.

Then if you need to go any kind of grocery shopping, laundry, doing errands around the city etc. The amount of time you need to call Uber or just bike from places, takes a more time and resources.

I used to live on the 16 something floor and it was huge pain to bring stuff up and down with the elevator and the bus and subway is a hassle to grab your groceries in and out. Nothing like just having a car and drive into the building, for those apts you have to pay even more for a parking spot and access.

If you make $500k living in NYC, I supposed you don't need to do any grocery shopping just have all your meals made and delivered including your laundry service.

Old 12-14-2022, 03:31 PM

37,153 posts, read 39,404,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MKTwet View Post
I think to some degree living in NYC can be more time consuming than outside of the city. If you only live to work, move somewhere to work say pay $3500/month to live 10mins within walking distance.

Then if you need to go any kind of grocery shopping, laundry, doing errands around the city etc. The amount of time you need to call Uber or just bike from places, takes a more time and resources.

I used to live on the 16 something floor and it was huge pain to bring stuff up and down with the elevator and the bus and subway is a hassle to grab your groceries in and out. Nothing like just having a car and drive into the building, for those apts you have to pay even more for a parking spot and access.

If you make $500k living in NYC, I supposed you don't need to do any grocery shopping just have all your meals made and delivered including your laundry service.
If you're living in Manhattan to be close to work as in close to Midtown on down, then you're living close to a lot of density and a lot of stores and services in short walking distance as well as a lot of delivery services. Being close to all these goods and services in walking distance (or biking) or being able to get delivery is really convenient--it's just costly for a lot of people.

If he's making $500K and isn't shy about using it for having all meals delivered and services delivered, then he's probably not going to be stipulating a $2,500 a month housing budget.

Last edited by OyCrumbler; 12-14-2022 at 04:00 PM..

Old 12-15-2022, 10:51 AM

265 posts, read 151,129 times
older building, walk up - sure there should be at the price range you are looking at

Old 12-15-2022, 11:14 AM

Quote:

I don't question your experience, experience however by living walkable distance to work doesn't mean that you only live to work, at least in Manhattan. Many people get FreshDirect or have their grocery store deliver, same with Laundry. Besides, most neighborhoods below 96th street have plenty of grocery stores, laundries and other conveniences close by, not to mention cultural locations and other points of interest.

I understand the conveniences of outlying areas where you can just drive in, however you can maintain a car in the City. Parking will be expensive, and you will get limited use out of it, but it can be done.

I don't think you need to make $500k to enjoy grocery and laundry delivery. There are plenty who make less yet use those services for convenience.

Old 12-15-2022, 11:55 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,078,660 times
Quote:
~3 Flight walk up

That gets old, QUICK.

Old 12-15-2022, 03:03 PM

2,388 posts, read 2,341,464 times
Quote:
LIRR is a thing.

Old 12-16-2022, 07:55 AM

12,789 posts, read 8,293,232 times
Quote:
All depends on the lifestyle one wants. I live in Queens because I like it quiet.

Quote:
This is good advice. I think you are spot on about UES. I actually like Yorkville, right by East End Avenue near Gracie Mansion. That area is almost serene for New York City, and the distance away from shopping/points of interest tends to keep NYC lowlives away as well. The other day, I saw a panhandler in front of St. Joseph's church on 87th and 1st. Talk about annoying to be coming out of Sunday service to be hassled by some dodgy guy.

Overall, the best deals will be found in walk-ups that have been renovated. New construction is most definitely out of the OPs budget unless he/she can qualify for affordable housing.
Yes, the Upper East/Yorkville area is one of the few I could tolerate living in if I did live in Manhattan. Most of Manhattan is too noisy and dirty for my tastes.

Quote:

It's really not that big of a deal. I do a mix of shopping at Whole Foods and having things delivered and it works out fine. You can just plan that. I make an order once a month for some staples from Vitacost. Stop at Whole Foods a few times a week to stock up on what I use and then order out a few times a week. If you're in Manhattan and can't drive, just grab an Uber from the market back home with your groceries. Oh and you don't need $500k either. My ex girlfriend lives in the City and makes ~$120k a year. Does just fine... Shops at Whole Foods, Citarella and Trader Joe's, goes out with her girlfriends, etc.

Old 12-16-2022, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv95 View Post
LIRR is a thing.
Sure, its a viable option -- if you don't mind the travel time and the hassles of a packed train during rush hour. I have gotten comfortable with the door-to-door Uber option.

I have really soured on public transportation. LIRR is still far better than the subways and is a good option.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City