Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2022, 09:55 PM

291 posts, read 202,997 times

Advertisements

I'm looking for a studio apartment that has a kitchen and bathroom that is updated, preferably in a very quiet building; is that possible considering the median rent is $3500 or so for a one bedroom? I've looked on streeteasy and most of what I find, the units appear to be run down.

I'm not fixated on UES but figured that's where a lot of the young professionals live (however I'm nearing 35..). Wouldn't be opposed to Midtown or UWS if that's a better option.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2022, 10:06 PM

5,714 posts, read 2,632,719 times
You back at it again....You posted about moving here a year ago

Old 12-13-2022, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 90sSitcom View Post
You back at it again....You posted about moving here a year ago
Yes sir. Good memory! Back then I was fixated on a one bedroom but after learning about Murphy beds, the studio is much more appealing now. At the time, a year ago, I made the right choice not moving there because shortly after I decided to stay put, vaccine passports were introduced. Now it seems like we are in the clear.

Old 12-13-2022, 10:29 PM

12,792 posts, read 8,318,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tugofpeace View Post
I'm looking for a studio apartment that has a kitchen and bathroom that is updated, preferably in a very quiet building; is that possible considering the median rent is $3500 or so for a one bedroom? I've looked on streeteasy and most of what I find, the units appear to be run down.

I'm not fixated on UES but figured that's where a lot of the young professionals live (however I'm nearing 35..). Wouldn't be opposed to Midtown or UWS if that's a better option.
There are plenty of studios in your price range and below that. The one thing that will be a bit tougher is finding a renovated place. On the Upper East Side, you are paying for convenience and location having so many eateries, shopping, etc. right outside your door, but you should get a broker and make it clear that you are specifically looking for a renovated apartment (they do exist on the Upper East).

My ex girlfriend lived in the area and scored a nice studio in a relatively new building. The thing is with the Upper East is most of what is coming online that is new is high-end luxury, often times to purchase.

Personally I would search more in Yorkville because it is not prime Upper East Side and so a landlord might be more willing to renovate since you are a bit more out of the way to prime shopping (of course you have it on York, 1st Av, 2nd & 3rd, etc.), but a bit more of a schlepp.

Here's an example:

https://streeteasy.com/building/339-...et-new_york/3d

I would move into that. Bathroom looks renovated. Get yourself a table for prep or a rolling island that could double as a place to eat and it's fine. The layout is quirky, but doable if you use your imagination. You can buy some more storage also if needed and maybe work out something with the landlord. One of my first apartments was something like this, but I had an actual kitchen island and a balcony. Lots of fun. Open the balcony door up on nice days and it's like extended living space. You can't sit outside like I could, but still nice for fresh air.

Last edited by pierrepont7731; 12-13-2022 at 10:44 PM..

Old 12-13-2022, 10:48 PM

Here's another interesting place off of York in the 70s:

https://streeteasy.com/building/440-...et-new_york/3b

I had that same stove in my first place that was a studio. They work pretty well for their size. Bathroom is pretty decent too.

Old 12-13-2022, 10:57 PM

^^ Pierre, is that generally the caliber of units I'd find in the $2500 range? I was more interested in studios with nicer finishes.. potentially in a highrise building for example. I think it seems that if I want such a place, I would have to raise my budget to $3000? I was looking for something like this guy's place:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u_2sXBRUoRY

I'm not particularly constrained to UES, that's just what I heard was a good area.

Old 12-13-2022, 11:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tugofpeace View Post
^^ Pierre, is that generally the caliber of units I'd find in the $2500 range? I was more interested in studios with nicer finishes.. potentially in a highrise building for example. I think it seems that if I want such a place, I would have to raise my budget to $3000? I was looking for something like this guy's place:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u_2sXBRUoRY

I'm not particularly constrained to UES, that's just what I heard was a good area.
Oh you want luxury... Yeah, you are likely not going to find that with $2,500. You definitely need to up your budget and widen the areas you're willing to live in. I think you can find something for $3,000 with such finishes but it likely won't be on the Upper East Side. The Upper East and esp. Yorkville tend to have older buildings, hence the quirky layouts you see and since you are in a prime area, most landlords don't feel the need to spend serious money updating to the kind of finishes you want. I knew of a family that had an apartment on the Upper West Side that was gut renovated. They had a Bosch washer and dryer, bathrooms with the fancy European dual flush toilets like I had in my place in Italy, etc., but they paid at least $6,000 a month. lol I will check out some areas in Manhattan in the $3,000 price range and see what is listed.

What other areas are you interested in besides the Upper East? Murray Hill may be another option that is on the sleepy side.

Old 12-13-2022, 11:13 PM

Here is one in Yorkville, but if it is a co-op, you'd have to go through the board to get approval, but you get the idea. You need to spend $3,000 and up for the kind of place you want:

https://streeteasy.com/building/327-...et-new_york/1a\

That one is $3,199.

Old 12-13-2022, 11:27 PM

Here is another one on the Upper West Side. Looks like it has a Murphy bed that can be folded up when not in use, so if you have company over, you can just hide that and have that space as the living room.

https://streeteasy.com/building/the-...534?featured=1

Usually if you find such a place with high end finishes in the price range you have, you've have to compromise on size or location. I see some others below $3,000, but they aren't on the Upper East or Upper West. They are in say East Harlem, etc., so you get a nice apartment, but you'd have to worry about crime, etc. In short for about $3,000 - 3,200 you can find exactly what you are looking for.

There's also options on say Roosevelt Island... This is pretty nice:

https://streeteasy.com/building/the-...438?featured=1

Old 12-14-2022, 03:13 AM

16,150 posts, read 6,892,845 times
It boggles the mind how so few are willing to sacrifice time and transportation for savings.
A 2 bed room can be had for $2,500 in Queens. Wouldn't be surprised if also given access
to laundry room , parking and yard.

But then again it's not the city...........and that's what young folks for reasons unknown strive towards........
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City