Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2022, 08:58 PM

12,791 posts, read 8,311,791 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coney View Post
Queens has a lot of alternate side parking. Read the signs carefully. As for parking in front of someone's house and making the owner mad, that only happens in the suburbs. NYC residents don't usually have these expectations.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baike View Post
I am going to Queens NY (from out of NY state) for something, the trip will be on a weekend.

Is it fine that I park my car in front of someone's house? Just parking for a few hours, daytime, weekend, no overnight. Just want to save a little parking fee.

Attached sample Google Street View: Street parking spot does not belong to the house owner, so can I just park in front of someone's house if I can find a spot? If I cannot find street parking spot, then I will go to a paid parking garage. Street parking is more convenient(just park nearby my destination), parking garage is somewhat walking distance away.

Thanks.
There are definitely some areas of Queens where parking is tight and people do become vindictive when it comes to parking spaces, putting out cones and going to other measures to preserve "their spot". Ozone Park comes to mind... If there is ample parking, it usually won't be a problem, but there are indeed areas where you may have a problem parking in front of someone's house. What area of Queens will you be parking in?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2022, 03:32 AM

791 posts, read 491,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baike View Post
I am going to Queens NY (from out of NY state) for something, the trip will be on a weekend.

Is it fine that I park my car in front of someone's house? Just parking for a few hours, daytime, weekend, no overnight. Just want to save a little parking fee.

Attached sample Google Street View: Street parking spot does not belong to the house owner, so can I just park in front of someone's house if I can find a spot? If I cannot find street parking spot, then I will go to a paid parking garage. Street parking is more convenient(just park nearby my destination), parking garage is somewhat walking distance away.

Thanks.
Life long Queens native of 50 yrs. Car owner for over 30. The rules allow you to park there. However, rules don't apply to Queens or broader NYC in 2022. Street rules apply. I notice that house has bars on the basement window which, for me, is a signal the hood you going to ain't so hot. Meaning that car might be missing a catalytic convertor when you get back..or worse, might be stolen all together. Car theft in Queens is off the charts this year. Just had 2 cars stolen on my street last week, which is one of the safest, quitest hoods in Queens.

Old 12-17-2022, 08:50 AM

2,317 posts, read 1,156,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by islanders2021 View Post
Life long Queens native of 50 yrs. Car owner for over 30. The rules allow you to park there. However, rules don't apply to Queens or broader NYC in 2022. Street rules apply. I notice that house has bars on the basement window which, for me, is a signal the hood you going to ain't so hot. Meaning that car might be missing a catalytic convertor when you get back..or worse, might be stolen all together. Car theft in Queens is off the charts this year. Just had 2 cars stolen on my street last week, which is one of the safest, quitest hoods in Queens.

Car theft / Catalytic Converter theft off the charts on Staten Island too. Bars on the basement windows are a bad look but don't always indicate a high crime area. Bars on regular windows is a definite bad sign however.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: