Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2023, 06:16 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,060,391 times

Advertisements

Other side of the coin:

I have been getting OVERcharged in several restaurants lately. Most egregious was Taco Bell (97th and Lex) where I was charged $8.97 for 3 soft taco's ($2.99 each.) That is near twice the price listed online.
Another place: Advertised lunch special Lamb Curry $8.99. She charges me any number that comes into her head,$10, $11, $12. So now I ask the price when I place my order.
Cheap Japanese joint charged me $4 higher than the menu price for a Bento box...no explanation on bill.

So I guess I gotta start being a Karen with some of these thieves.

When I buy something I do not like to feel like I am at an Iranian rug bazaar. Post your price and STICK to it. Don't force customers to haggle. And don't cheat them. The customer gets the last laugh when he refuses to ever return.

Last edited by Kefir King; 01-07-2023 at 06:33 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2023, 12:43 PM

19,061 posts, read 12,711,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
That is near twice the price listed online.
Online price means nothing, if you go to a store the price is what's listed on the menu.

Best example of this is books, they all have a price like $11.99 above the barcode. When Amazon.com started they were selling the same book at like $6.95 which is more like the wholesale price. Barnes & Noble was going out of business selling that book at $11.99.

So what did Barnes & Noble do, reduce the store price? NOPE, store price still $11.99

BUT, if you go to their website, you can buy the book for $6.95 just like amazon and pick it in the store while the guy in line at the register is about to pay double for the same thing.

It's just business

Old 01-07-2023, 02:55 PM

2,330 posts, read 1,027,743 times
Quote:
Other side of the coin:

I have been getting OVERcharged in several restaurants lately. Most egregious was Taco Bell (97th and Lex) where I was charged $8.97 for 3 soft taco's ($2.99 each.) That is near twice the price listed online.
Another place: Advertised lunch special Lamb Curry $8.99. She charges me any number that comes into her head,$10, $11, $12. So now I ask the price when I place my order.
Cheap Japanese joint charged me $4 higher than the menu price for a Bento box...no explanation on bill.

When I buy something I do not like to feel like I am at an Iranian rug bazaar. Post your price and STICK to it. Don't force customers to haggle. And don't cheat them. The customer gets the last laugh when he refuses to ever return.
You wouldn't be overcharged if you paid online and just picked up the food at the counter. That's what most people do. If you order in person then the prices will of course be the normal price. This is standard all over.

Old 01-07-2023, 03:05 PM

61,652 posts, read 87,023,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Retired View Post
I've seen white European tourists pull this off in dine in restaurants.
How do you know that they were tourists from Europe? Did you talk with them?
I never saw such behavior here or there.

Old 01-08-2023, 09:30 AM

16,028 posts, read 6,834,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
Not my words.
The bolden was a taken from another post.
I agree with you. I never saw such behavior
from European tourists.

Old 01-08-2023, 11:02 AM

2,330 posts, read 1,027,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Retired View Post
Not my words.
The bolden was a taken from another post.
I agree with you. I never saw such behavior
from European tourists.
Those were my words. I've seen it happen in midtown lunch spots as well as restaurants popular with office workers and tourists alike. For example, saw it in a Pret a Manger, Korean owned lunch buffets that charge by the lb, and in diner restaurants like Juniors in Times SQ. I know they're tourists because they had the cameras around their necks, were speaking loudly to each other in non English languages, and were consulting maps of Manhattan on their tables.

Old 01-08-2023, 12:02 PM

1,853 posts, read 1,954,036 times
Quote:
Other side of the coin:

I'm sorry to hear that this has happened to you several times. I don't think you're a Karen if you are making sure that you are being charged the appropriate price -- it's the right thing to do. I agree with you on not returning if I'm overcharged. I am not saying this to pat myself on the back, but I treat and tip very well at my regular restaurants and pick-up spots, but would be incensed if they charged me a dollar more than the advertised price and would definitely not return.

On a separate note and I'm not judging or being critical, but why were you at Taco Bell when El Tepayac Taquiera is literally next door? Their tacos (and other items) are excellent. I sincerely don't mean to be critical of your dining choices, if you're looking to grab and go quickly or looking to save money, I fully appreciate that and apologize. However, if you do get the chance to check out El Tepayac, I hope you have a nice time.

Old 01-08-2023, 12:16 PM

2,157 posts, read 1,441,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiredofnyclife View Post
Anyone notice an uptick in this low class behavior? I've personally seen stuff like this ALL the time growing up in NYCHA neighborhoods.
I didn't sell food, but products and people tried to that crap all the time. I dealt with them with nothing but annoyance and anger. I was totally ok with not making the sale at all rather than cave into their attempts to shortchange us. Oftentimes it was the wealthiest that tried to short us the most. Sometimes when I wasn't on site, they would try it with my wife/adult kids and my family learned quick how to be hard-nosed with people like this.
I'd list it as one of the reasons I'm happy to have sold off my inventory and closed up shop. I do some side work still and known last second negotiators wind up getting quoted a higher price up front and still don't get the benefit of a price reduction at the end, so at least for me, I stick it to them for being such a pain.

Old 01-08-2023, 03:54 PM

88,516 posts, read 84,705,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
I've never seen the haggling, but you can tell tourists by looking at them. I worked in the city for decades, and for some bizarre reason, they zero in on me to ask for directions. I can be with five other people and they approach me. I am a six foot tall woman. You'd think they'd be scared of me, but it seems to be the opposite. Not complaining, I am happy to help, but it was just always so weird.

Anyway, I was going to lunch with friends once and I spied these four women walking through the WTC Concourse. They had very Slavic faces, and I said aloud, "Oh, here come some tourists, they are going to ask me for directions, and they probably speak with Russian or Ukrainian accents." Yup, they saw me and came walking over.

Afterward, in amazement, one of my coworkers said "How did you know?" I said "I just know." LOL.

Old 01-08-2023, 08:17 PM

61,652 posts, read 87,023,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiredofnyclife View Post
I know they're tourists because they had the cameras around their necks, were speaking loudly to each other in non English languages, and were consulting maps of Manhattan on their tables.
So, you saw some people with cameras around their neck and they spoke non-English language. So, you assumed that they are Europeans...
Seriously??

Sorry, Mr. Retired for the mix-up. My bad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: