Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which neighborhood should OP choose?
Riverdale 8 72.73%
Norwood 3 27.27%
Voters: 11. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2023, 11:06 AM

12,788 posts, read 8,283,172 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by throwaway14393730 View Post
Thank you for your honesty! I feel like a lot of people I've talked to weren't being honest about Norwood.

The housing is the same price between Norwood and Riverdale. About 1200 for a studio. Riverdale/kingsbridge building is newer and has a diswasher. The only thing that I lose by doing the Riverdale is having a commute. But I have a car plus they offer a shuttle in the AM. The reason I really hate the Norwood housing and what's pushing me to Riverdale now is order to do anything you basically got to go to Manhattan.
Yeah, then it's a no brainer. It seems clear that you would not feel comfortable having to live in Norwood, and to be honest, it isn't for everyone. Now I do know a few people that have lived there without issue, and they live close to the Oval, which is a bit quieter, which is where your building is located (north of it). That said, you can't just live on that block and Norwood is one of those neighborhoods that can vary on a block-by-block basis, and some blocks can be very loud and ghetto as in loud music blasting, garbage everywhere, etc. Grocery options are not the greatest, and the dining options aren't too hot either. You're talking about mainly fast food... Nothing of real quality, so for that you would pretty much have to leave the neighborhood. You could get groceries delivered, but still.

Now Riverdale is a bedroom community, but there are places for you to eat. Plus you are a few blocks away from Manhattan College, so you will see plenty of Manhattan College students nearby in that part of Riverdale. They tend to go down the hill to Kingsbridge to places like Bronx Alehouse and such. You can certainly do things in Riverdale, esp. if you like nature, etc. Van Cortlandt Park is actually the third largest park in NYC, bigger than Central Park in fact. Since you have a car, you can also drive to Westchester to do things up there, or go to Manhattan. You really have the best of both options in Riverdale... The City to the South, the suburbs to the North, all the while living in a quasi-suburban/urban neighborhood. Broadway is a commercial corridor, so it will feel a bit more urban, but the further West you go, the more suburban Riverdale feels.

Riverdale is not a place for nightlife (the area prides itself on its leafiness and quietness), but neither is Norwood and since you would be so much closer to Manhattan in Riverdale, you can always go to the City if you need that nightlife. For what it's worth, plenty of Manhattanties from the Upper East Side and Upper West Side move to Riverdale that would not live in any other neighborhood in The Bronx. That should tell you something. They move to Riverdale because they want to be close to Manhattan, but need more room or just want more quiet. Whatever the reason, they absolutely want easy access to Manhattan.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2023, 01:51 PM

61 posts, read 38,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
Yeah, then it's a no brainer. It seems clear that you would not feel comfortable having to live in Norwood, and to be honest, it isn't for everyone. Now I do know a few people that have lived there without issue, and they live close to the Oval, which is a bit quieter, which is where your building is located (north of it). That said, you can't just live on that block and Norwood is one of those neighborhoods that can vary on a block-by-block basis, and some blocks can be very loud and ghetto as in loud music blasting, garbage everywhere, etc. Grocery options are not the greatest, and the dining options aren't too hot either. You're talking about mainly fast food... Nothing of real quality, so for that you would pretty much have to leave the neighborhood. You could get groceries delivered, but still.

Now Riverdale is a bedroom community, but there are places for you to eat. Plus you are a few blocks away from Manhattan College, so you will see plenty of Manhattan College students nearby in that part of Riverdale. They tend to go down the hill to Kingsbridge to places like Bronx Alehouse and such. You can certainly do things in Riverdale, esp. if you like nature, etc. Van Cortlandt Park is actually the third largest park in NYC, bigger than Central Park in fact. Since you have a car, you can also drive to Westchester to do things up there, or go to Manhattan. You really have the best of both options in Riverdale... The City to the South, the suburbs to the North, all the while living in a quasi-suburban/urban neighborhood. Broadway is a commercial corridor, so it will feel a bit more urban, but the further West you go, the more suburban Riverdale feels.

Riverdale is not a place for nightlife (the area prides itself on its leafiness and quietness), but neither is Norwood and since you would be so much closer to Manhattan in Riverdale, you can always go to the City if you need that nightlife. For what it's worth, plenty of Manhattanties from the Upper East Side and Upper West Side move to Riverdale that would not live in any other neighborhood in The Bronx. That should tell you something. They move to Riverdale because they want to be close to Manhattan, but need more room or just want more quiet. Whatever the reason, they absolutely want easy access to Manhattan.
Interesting. I'm not really a night-life person if you mean bars and clubs etc. I mainly liked Manhattan because of how everything is in close proximity (grocery, gym, coffee), so I think your spot on that riverdale has everything I need.

Old 02-10-2023, 08:22 PM

1,496 posts, read 2,237,034 times
For a minute there I thought Pierrepont was going to slack off in his duty of informing us of how Riverdale is the only neighborhood in the Bronx, but he came thru like a champ

Old 02-10-2023, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by high iron View Post
For a minute there I thought Pierrepont was going to slack off in his duty of informing us of how Riverdale is the only neighborhood in the Bronx, but he came thru like a champ
Only neighborhood what? The options are Norwood and Riverdale. The OP also asked about safety in Kingsbridge and I answered that as well. If we were talking about Norwood vs. the South Bronx, I would say that parts of Norwood are better for sure, but Norwood does suffer from similar quality of life issues that the South Bronx sees. That's just the truth.

There are only a handful of solid middle class areas in The Bronx and they are mainly low density in corners of the borough that generally are out of the way and not as accessible (at least not by subway): Woodlawn, City Island, greater Throggs Neck area, Pelham Bay, Country Club and Morris Park.

Parts of Kingsbridge closer to Riverdale and parts of Pelham Parkway are the few neighborhoods that I can think of that are near subway lines that are fairly safe and not all of those two areas are fully middle class. A mix of working class and middle class. Riverdale is the only upper middle to upper class area.

It seems most of the residents at least on here that live in The Bronx like to highlight the hood areas as if that is the entire Bronx. It is not. It's just that you have to really be going to those areas to reach them.

I'm not including Marble Hill because it is technically part of Manhattan, but similar to Kingsbridge in that you have parts that are working class and parts that are middle class, but even smaller than Kingsbridge.

Old 02-11-2023, 06:24 AM

3,357 posts, read 4,630,404 times
Quote:
Not sure why the personal attack? All I'm saying is Norwood doesn't have much to offer a young adult. It seems like the kingsbridge riverdale area is much more livable from my understanding. There's absolutely no place to do grocery shopping, gym, cafe in Norwood. Montefiore provides housing at both 3636 waldo and 3450 Wayne
Probably not the cafes you're looking for, but yes, there is a supermarket, I'm pretty sure a gym too.

You should definitely move to Riverdale if that's where you're happier.

Old 02-11-2023, 06:36 AM

3,357 posts, read 4,630,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
Only neighborhood what? The options are Norwood and Riverdale. The OP also asked about safety in Kingsbridge and I answered that as well. If we were talking about Norwood vs. the South Bronx, I would say that parts of Norwood are better for sure, but Norwood does suffer from similar quality of life issues that the South Bronx sees. That's just the truth.
There's going to be more quality of life issues in dense areas, including Manhattan. But the density is one thing that sets New York apart. It's not for everyone though. You said previously that Riverdale was "the best" neighborhood in the Bronx. Maybe that's what High Iron meant. The best is subjective, not objective, and depends on your criteria. I'd prefer to live in Norwood rather than Riverdale, but that's me. I think the rest of the Bronx gets it's back up a bit by the relentless digs. There was a very critical thread about Riverdale a while back. I remember you got very upset.

Last edited by yodel; 02-11-2023 at 06:46 AM..

Old 02-11-2023, 07:23 AM

2,314 posts, read 1,149,719 times
Quote:
Thank you for your honesty! I feel like a lot of people I've talked to weren't being honest about Norwood.

The housing is the same price between Norwood and Riverdale. About 1200 for a studio. Riverdale/kingsbridge building is newer and has a diswasher. The only thing that I lose by doing the Riverdale is having a commute. But I have a car plus they offer a shuttle in the AM. The reason I really hate the Norwood housing and what's pushing me to Riverdale now is order to do anything you basically got to go to Manhattan.

I don't know the Bronx very well and I'm curious how the rent for a studio can be almost the same in downscale Norwood and upscale Riverdale? I'm sure others have mentioned this but you state you have a car. So also look into the ease/difficulty of parking conditions in any area you're interested in. Is there Alternate Side Parking? If so how many days a week? Are parking garages available and what do they charge?

Old 02-11-2023, 11:42 AM

61 posts, read 38,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dfc99 View Post
I don't know the Bronx very well and I'm curious how the rent for a studio can be almost the same in downscale Norwood and upscale Riverdale? I'm sure others have mentioned this but you state you have a car. So also look into the ease/difficulty of parking conditions in any area you're interested in. Is there Alternate Side Parking? If so how many days a week? Are parking garages available and what do they charge?
The hosptial subsides the housing for both properties and the prices end up being pretty similar for some reason. The riverdale property at 3636 waldo avenue has an attached parking garage in addition to the Norwood property. It's 60- 100 a month I believe. Also has complimentary shuttle as well.

The hospital has a parking ramp as well

Old 02-11-2023, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yodel View Post
There's going to be more quality of life issues in dense areas, including Manhattan. But the density is one thing that sets New York apart. It's not for everyone though. You said previously that Riverdale was "the best" neighborhood in the Bronx. Maybe that's what High Iron meant. The best is subjective, not objective, and depends on your criteria. I'd prefer to live in Norwood rather than Riverdale, but that's me. I think the rest of the Bronx gets it's back up a bit by the relentless digs. There was a very critical thread about Riverdale a while back. I remember you got very upset.
Yes, the best is very subjective, but given what the OP values and what his options are, it is fairly easy to conclude that Riverdale is the best he is going to get. If Manhattan was truly the option here, Riverdale would not be the best, but he doesn't have that option.

I've been around The Bronx a lot. My ex-girlfriend works in The Bronx and has for a number of years, so I've been exposed to it a lot and I also travel there a lot for work and have friends that have lived there, both currently and growing up, so I've spent a lot of time in a lot different areas, from the poorest parts to the ok parts to the pretty decent parts. Norwood for someone like yourself is fine. You lived in Inwood and they are similar areas. Not my cup of tea overall (Inwood does have some decent parts West of Broadway, but a lot of quality of life issues - dirtiness of streets, insanely loud music at all hours blasting from cars, etc. spill over from East of Broadway) particularly the lack of quality food options. Inwood actually has a better food scene in terms of diversity and overall options compared to Norwood or even Bedford Park, but still subpar overall. Hell even in Riverdale, considering that it is the best representation of The Bronx in terms of low crime and being an actual upper class neighborhood, you would expect a better food scene. It has improved considerably from where it was years ago and esp. in comparison to other Bronx neighborhoods, but compared to other areas of the City, The Bronx does not really offer a great food scene.

I'm impartial to such areas like Riverdale because I live in a similar neighborhood in Queens. Furthermore, we have lots of transplants coming here that want everything to be urban/concrete jungle. It is ok to have such neighborhoods in City limits with good quality of life and low crime (The Bronx could use more Riverdales, particularly the low crime aspect - I have been following in the news - the amount of violent crime in the borough, particularly the usual problematic neighborhoods should have Bronxites concerned). Have you seen what is happening to your Bedford Park? They are upzoning everything they can get their hands on and destroying the few decent qualities that existed. I know you like the historical character of Bedford Park and that is being wiped right off the map. How much longer before those historical homes will be around is anyone's guess if the City and developers have their way.

It's kind of an oxymoron to say that you like the density here but you live in a house? That is the very thing that the City is going after. They are targeting single family neighborhoods and claiming they need to upzone to build more housing. Neighborhoods like Norwood and Bedford Park had that advantage over parts of the South Bronx that kept them a bit off of the radar and a bit more tranquil. You think the loud music and dirty streets are bad now in those areas. If they keep building like they are and upzoning, forget it. Norwood nor Bedford Park can't stand that kind of building. They are both too small.

I know someone that lived in Bedford Park back when it was a lot better than today. They now live in Riverdale. Older couple, more established, but I don't think she'd live there today with her husband. They also lived in Queens for a while.

Last edited by pierrepont7731; 02-11-2023 at 12:55 PM..

Old 02-11-2023, 01:33 PM

2,314 posts, read 1,149,719 times
Quote:
The hosptial subsides the housing for both properties and the prices end up being pretty similar for some reason. The riverdale property at 3636 waldo avenue has an attached parking garage in addition to the Norwood property. It's 60- 100 a month I believe. Also has complimentary shuttle as well.

The hospital has a parking ramp as well

Thanks for your explanation. I'm a homeowner on S.I. and the whole NYC rental situation is sort of a mystery to me. Morris Park is another nice part of the Bronx, very safe too. I have family out there. It's mostly 1-2-3 family homes and some small apartment buildings. Rentals are usually by word-of-mouth though.

$60 - $100/month is a great deal for garage parking anywhere in NYC! Snap up that deal! I was paying $50/month for a neighbor's garage in Brooklyn in 1990.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City