Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which neighborhood should OP choose?
Riverdale 8 72.73%
Norwood 3 27.27%
Voters: 11. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2023, 01:54 PM

870 posts, read 414,500 times

Advertisements

Simple answer from someone who lives and works in The Bronx:

- commuting by public transportation from Kingsbridge or Riverdale to Norwood is very particular… the bus BX10 takes you to Montefiore and goes throughout Riverdale North to South and in Kingsbridge, unless you’re close to 231st St it will be more difficult.
- the aforementioned bus ride if you live in Riverdale will be long… very long (check out the bus route).
- Norwood is not Riverdale or Kingsbridge…. Some
Blocks are sketchy But Norwood is not Melrose or Morrisania either, and the value of the apartments especially around Moshulu Parkway shot up… and it’s getting better in terms of bars/restaurants (check by Webester Avenue, and wait a few years). No you don’t have the bar/restaurant options of Riverdale/Kingsbridge, but you mentioned subsidized housing across from work… like come on… do you realize some people commute (cost AND time) all the way from other boroughs???? I wish I could cross the street to work !!!
- if you want more life, check Woodlawn (straddling The Bronx and Yonkers), a fresh off the boat Irish neighborhood, full of bars/pubs and restaurants, very safe and quick bus ride to Norwood.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2023, 03:08 PM

61 posts, read 38,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert.Dinero View Post

- commuting by public transportation from Kingsbridge or Riverdale to Norwood is very particular… the bus BX10 takes you to Montefiore and goes throughout Riverdale North to South and in Kingsbridge, unless you’re close to 231st St it will be more difficult.
- the aforementioned bus ride if you live in Riverdale will be long… very long (check out the bus route).
Blocks are sketchy But Norwood is not Melrose or Morrisania either, and the value of the apartments especially around Moshulu Parkway shot up… and it’s getting better in terms of bars/restaurants (check by Webester Avenue, and wait a few years). No you don’t have the bar/restaurant options of Riverdale/Kingsbridge, but you mentioned subsidized housing across from work… like come on… do you realize some people commute (cost AND time) all the way from other boroughs???? I wish I could cross the street to work !!!
- if you want more life, check Woodlawn (straddling The Bronx and Yonkers), a fresh off the boat Irish neighborhood, full of bars/pubs and restaurants, very safe and quick bus ride to Norwood.
Montefiore offers its own separate shuttle for 3636 waldo avenue that takes you to the hospital. Plus I'd have a car + a parking garage next to waldo.

I think you're understanding how terrible Norwood is. Yes I love the walking distance, but there is literally nothing there. Everything I would have to would involve either going to kingsbridge or Manhattan.

Old 02-11-2023, 05:41 PM

870 posts, read 414,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by throwaway14393730 View Post
Montefiore offers its own separate shuttle for 3636 waldo avenue that takes you to the hospital. Plus I'd have a car + a parking garage next to waldo.

I think you're understanding how terrible Norwood is. Yes I love the walking distance, but there is literally nothing there. Everything I would have to would involve either going to kingsbridge or Manhattan.
I mean yes Kingsbridge is a cool area don’t get me wrong… now I wouldn’t call Norwood terrible, depending on your housing situation. And if you have a car you’re 10 minutes away.
But then only you can explain what you want. I was simply giving my opinion, if you were buying real estate it would be a different story…

Old 02-11-2023, 06:07 PM

12,789 posts, read 8,293,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert.Dinero View Post

Boy you didn't read the OP's post at all. Their options are Norwood OR Riverdale because they have subsidized housing and they either will walk to work in Norwood OR there's a shuttle bus from Riverdale that takes them there.

Old 02-11-2023, 06:40 PM

3,357 posts, read 4,632,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
Yes, the best is very subjective, but given what the OP values and what his options are, it is fairly easy to conclude that Riverdale is the best he is going to get. If Manhattan was truly the option here, Riverdale would not be the best, but he doesn't have that option.

I've been around The Bronx a lot. My ex-girlfriend works in The Bronx and has for a number of years, so I've been exposed to it a lot and I also travel there a lot for work and have friends that have lived there, both currently and growing up, so I've spent a lot of time in a lot different areas, from the poorest parts to the ok parts to the pretty decent parts. Norwood for someone like yourself is fine. You lived in Inwood and they are similar areas. Not my cup of tea overall (Inwood does have some decent parts West of Broadway, but a lot of quality of life issues - dirtiness of streets, insanely loud music at all hours blasting from cars, etc. spill over from East of Broadway) particularly the lack of quality food options. Inwood actually has a better food scene in terms of diversity and overall options compared to Norwood or even Bedford Park, but still subpar overall. Hell even in Riverdale, considering that it is the best representation of The Bronx in terms of low crime and being an actual upper class neighborhood, you would expect a better food scene. It has improved considerably from where it was years ago and esp. in comparison to other Bronx neighborhoods, but compared to other areas of the City, The Bronx does not really offer a great food scene.

I'm impartial to such areas like Riverdale because I live in a similar neighborhood in Queens. Furthermore, we have lots of transplants coming here that want everything to be urban/concrete jungle. It is ok to have such neighborhoods in City limits with good quality of life and low crime (The Bronx could use more Riverdales, particularly the low crime aspect - I have been following in the news - the amount of violent crime in the borough, particularly the usual problematic neighborhoods should have Bronxites concerned). Have you seen what is happening to your Bedford Park? They are upzoning everything they can get their hands on and destroying the few decent qualities that existed. I know you like the historical character of Bedford Park and that is being wiped right off the map. How much longer before those historical homes will be around is anyone's guess if the City and developers have their way.

It's kind of an oxymoron to say that you like the density here but you live in a house? That is the very thing that the City is going after. They are targeting single family neighborhoods and claiming they need to upzone to build more housing. Neighborhoods like Norwood and Bedford Park had that advantage over parts of the South Bronx that kept them a bit off of the radar and a bit more tranquil. You think the loud music and dirty streets are bad now in those areas. If they keep building like they are and upzoning, forget it. Norwood nor Bedford Park can't stand that kind of building. They are both too small.

I know someone that lived in Bedford Park back when it was a lot better than today. They now live in Riverdale. Older couple, more established, but I don't think she'd live there today with her husband. They also lived in Queens for a while.
I don't live in a single family, and it's actually a very dense type of development, but a nice way to live in the city in my opinion. Plus, it's actually a pretty quiet neighborhood, despite all the density.

As far as I know the only rezoning in Bedford Park was on Webster Ave. The western part of the neighborhood had higher zoning to begin with, so there was much more development there. The part that I live in has had a lot of building too, mostly on underutilized sites, and a few houses with large lots. Bedford Park already was a very dense neighborhood with a lot of art deco apartment buildings, like on Mosholu Parkway that aren't going anywhere. There's also a beautiful historic district on Perry Avenue. But generally, you can't count on any neighborhood staying the same in the city, and there is enormous pressure to build more housing. There will be no neighborhood exempt from this, including Riverdale. And all neighborhoods will get things they don't want. I think there's a homeless shelter a few blocks away from the Waldo Ave. residences, and another planned to the north in Riverdale now. It can't be that bad because you're still happy there. You have to hope in the end there's more things you like about the neighborhood than dislike, and if the balance tips at any point, then you make that decision and cross that bridge when you get there.

Old 02-11-2023, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yodel View Post
I don't live in a single family, and it's actually a very dense type of development, but a nice way to live in the city in my opinion. Plus, it's actually a pretty quiet neighborhood, despite all the density.

As far as I know the only rezoning in Bedford Park was on Webster Ave. The western part of the neighborhood had higher zoning to begin with, so there was much more development there. The part that I live in has had a lot of building too, mostly on underutilized sites, and a few houses with large lots. Bedford Park already was a very dense neighborhood with a lot of art deco apartment buildings, like on Mosholu Parkway that aren't going anywhere. There's also a beautiful historic district on Perry Avenue. But generally, you can't count on any neighborhood staying the same in the city, and there is enormous pressure to build more housing. There will be no neighborhood exempt from this, including Riverdale. And all neighborhoods will get things they don't want. I think there's a homeless shelter a few blocks away from the Waldo Ave. residences, and another planned to the north in Riverdale now. It can't be that bad because you're still happy there. You have to hope in the end there's more things you like about the neighborhood than dislike, and if the balance tips at any point, then you make that decision and cross that bridge when you get there.
Bedford Park is not that big, so it's almost impossible for anyone to avoid the development going on there. Yes, NYC is always evolving, but this current administration doesn't give a damn about historic anything. My neighborhood in Queens (I don't live in Riverdale) has a historic district as well and we have been trying to stop a women's shelter from opening.

Riverdale like my neighborhood has a mix of homes, co-ops, etc. and plenty of large apartment buildings (mainly owned) so as far as I know, what has been going up have been luxury buildings. I am sure that shelter will continue to be fought tooth and nail in North Riverdale. I believe it's on the Yonkers-Riverdale border, but the residents there don't want it. They are afraid that their property values would be ruined, much like my neighborhood. Last I heard, the provider pulled out. No movement on it since. Hopefully it stays that way.

We need to maintain neighborhoods like Riverdale and mine in the Queens. We pay good money and plenty in taxes here and with the way NYC is going bringing in people who are not contributing to the tax base (Lord knows there are plenty of those types in The Bronx - esp. in your neighborhood - lots of people on vouchers moving in there and in Norwood too), not sure how much longer your area will be so tranquil. I know you're well aware of the loud music and trashing of the green areas by Mosholu Parkway during the warm months. I expect that to only worsen.

To the OP, with what you bring in salary wise and for what you are looking for, I just don't see Norwood as the right fit. The only reason I'm saying go with Riverdale is because it is Norwood or Riverdale, but if you could live in any neighborhood, obviously I would be recommending Manhattan, or if you wanted to be really close but not in Norwood, I'd say go with Woodlawn, but those aren't options for you.

Old 02-11-2023, 09:35 PM

61 posts, read 38,686 times
Quote:
Bedford Park is not that big, so it's almost impossible for anyone to avoid the development going on there. Yes, NYC is always evolving, but this current administration doesn't give a damn about historic anything. My neighborhood in Queens (I don't live in Riverdale) has a historic district as well and we have been trying to stop a women's shelter from opening.

Riverdale like my neighborhood has a mix of homes, co-ops, etc. and plenty of large apartment buildings (mainly owned) so as far as I know, what has been going up have been luxury buildings. I am sure that shelter will continue to be fought tooth and nail in North Riverdale. I believe it's on the Yonkers-Riverdale border, but the residents there don't want it. They are afraid that their property values would be ruined, much like my neighborhood. Last I heard, the provider pulled out. No movement on it since. Hopefully it stays that way.

We need to maintain neighborhoods like Riverdale and mine in the Queens. We pay good money and plenty in taxes here and with the way NYC is going bringing in people who are not contributing to the tax base (Lord knows there are plenty of those types in The Bronx - esp. in your neighborhood - lots of people on vouchers moving in there and in Norwood too), not sure how much longer your area will be so tranquil. I know you're well aware of the loud music and trashing of the green areas by Mosholu Parkway during the warm months. I expect that to only worsen.

To the OP, with what you bring in salary wise and for what you are looking for, I just don't see Norwood as the right fit. The only reason I'm saying go with Riverdale is because it is Norwood or Riverdale, but if you could live in any neighborhood, obviously I would be recommending Manhattan, or if you wanted to be really close but not in Norwood, I'd say go with Woodlawn, but those aren't options for you.
I completely agree. The only reason I would even remotely consider Norwood is because of the cost. I spent an afternoon looking at the restaurants in Norwood on gun hill road and nearly every single one had rats and mice. Even a place like Tasty picks that looks nice had so many health code violation m. How gross, how can anyone live in that? That's what really turned me off. Then I realized that 3450 Wayne avenue is a further work from to the 4 train stop than 3636 waldo avenue is from the 1 train stop (8 mins vs 7 mins).

I would be considering Manhattan but the prices there are so darn high (2500 for a crappy walkup studio) right now. In my current city I pay 2500 for a luxury one bedroom in a excellent location.

Maybe I'll move to the upper east side after a few years but for now this is simpler. I have never seen the units in the inside of 3636 waldo avenue so I'm taking a leap of faith

Old 02-12-2023, 06:44 AM

3,357 posts, read 4,632,098 times
Quote:

I'm not going to get into the discussion, I know you think "certain areas" should be exempt from all this. I thought the permit as issued for the shelter in Riverdale. Would you move out?

Noise is no issue for me. It's not completely dead, but yes surprisingly quiet, especially compared to when I moved in in the early 2000s.

Old 02-12-2023, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yodel View Post
I'm not going to get into the discussion, I know you think "certain areas" should be exempt from all this. I thought the permit as issued for the shelter in Riverdale. Would you move out?

Noise is no issue for me. It's not completely dead, but yes surprisingly quiet, especially compared to when I moved in in the early 2000s.
You mean moving out of Queens? With what happened with Kew Gardens and other areas, I am definitely on notice for my neighborhood (I live in Queens, not Riverdale, but I am in The Bronx a lot for work all over the borough). I recall when I was in the South Bronx for some meetings, the residents there lamented about how certain things would never be located in Riverdale, so it was clear to me that people in The Bronx feel that Riverdale is the standard of the best neighborhood in that borough in terms of what is seen as having the highest standard of living, and part of the reason certain things aren't tolerated there like other areas is a large portion of the residents own their residences, so there is a vested interested in keeping the area nice to protect property values. The same is true of areas like Morris Park, City Island, Country Club, etc. These areas won't decline the way a lot of The Bronx has because the residents are owners, not renters.

While you may love Bedford Park, I don't see it and Norwood remaining so nice and quiet in the long-term in part because of what we've been discussing. Mayor Adams has made it clear that he does not think that any neighborhood should get a pass when it comes to upzoning. He is pretty much de Blasio 2.0 in that regard. I recall listening to a community board member lament about how the City was destroying Bedford Park with all of the building there.

As for the OP, I don't think he has to worry either way. 3636 Waldo is not near to where that homeless shelter is being proposed. The homeless shelter, IF it comes to fruition would be all the way at the end of Broadway by W 262nd at the City border with Yonkers. All I know is the provider pulled out of that location. The City Councilman and the Assemblyman for that area are both opposed to it, and I am pretty sure they are going to do everything possible to stop it (after all, most of the elected officials that represent Riverdale and that area live in Riverdale, so they too have a vested interest).

Old 02-12-2023, 11:44 AM

2,315 posts, read 1,152,181 times
Quote:
But generally, you can't count on any neighborhood staying the same in the city, and there is enormous pressure to build more housing. There will be no neighborhood exempt from this, including Riverdale. And all neighborhoods will get things they don't want.

And just how will that create desirable neighborhoods where productive tax-paying people will want to live? What better way to push what's left of the middle-class and upper middle-class out of the city. Is that Adams' plan? Is that the City Council's plan?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City