Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2023, 11:01 AM

19,054 posts, read 13,968,817 times

Advertisements

Taxes aren’t a problem when there’s a return. It’s only taken 2 years for my whole outlook on taxation to change.

In NJ I see my garbage picked up efficiently and on time, my streets paved quickly with little inconvenience, schools that kids can safely attend, utilities that operate with the consumer’s best interests addressed, and most importantly, criminal enforcement and prosecution.

Here I’d pay much more in taxes than I already do without complaint. NYC wasn’t worth a dime.

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2023, 11:13 AM

3,497 posts, read 1,412,090 times
The thing is, working in the office has its advantages because you get to go out and see people. WFH can get lonely at times, but you save so much time by not commuting and you save yourself the frustration of dealing with the rush hour and horrible subway service. And also the fact that my home is peaceful and quiet since I live alone, then that means I can concentrate better, get more work done and do a better job in my work.

Old 02-15-2023, 12:51 PM

12,790 posts, read 8,295,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWiseShopper View Post
The thing is, working in the office has its advantages because you get to go out and see people. WFH can get lonely at times, but you save so much time by not commuting and you save yourself the frustration of dealing with the rush hour and horrible subway service. And also the fact that my home is peaceful and quiet since I live alone, then that means I can concentrate better, get more work done and do a better job in my work.
All of the money I'm saving from commuting I'm investing in stocks, bonds, etc. Pretty sweet deal. I'm up 17% today...

Old 02-15-2023, 12:52 PM

12,790 posts, read 8,295,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dfc99 View Post
In my catholic grade school in the 1960s we got gold stars for good grades. I was always proud when the teacher put a little gold star in my notebook!
I certainly remember getting some as a little one. Fun times...

Old 02-15-2023, 01:07 PM

2,330 posts, read 1,031,771 times
Depending on the coworkers I like being in the office. There was a subgroup of us that worked really well together and we enjoyed each others' company.

But given the amount of meetings, coffee runs, middle management bs, etc. I realize now just how much time was wasted.

Of course WFH does not function for certain industries like patient facing healthcare, retail, food, construction, etc.

Old 02-15-2023, 01:42 PM

2,948 posts, read 1,261,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
Taxes aren’t a problem when there’s a return. It’s only taken 2 years for my whole outlook on taxation to change.

In NJ I see my garbage picked up efficiently and on time, my streets paved quickly with little inconvenience, schools that kids can safely attend, utilities that operate with the consumer’s best interests addressed, and most importantly, criminal enforcement and prosecution.

Here I’d pay much more in taxes than I already do without complaint. NYC wasn’t worth a dime.
This is exact it. The clowns think that anyone who complains about taxes just doesn’t want to pay them. The issue is the ONLY ones who benefit from taxes in NYC are precisely those who don’t pay them. Most of the money goes to supporting their mere existence and there’s little left for actual QOL projects.

Old 02-15-2023, 03:48 PM

5,827 posts, read 2,948,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiredofnyclife View Post
Depending on the coworkers I like being in the office. There was a subgroup of us that worked really well together and we enjoyed each others' company.

But given the amount of meetings, coffee runs, middle management bs, etc. I realize now just how much time was wasted.

Of course WFH does not function for certain industries like patient facing healthcare, retail, food, construction, etc.
Working from home all the time is very boring to me. I like getting out the house, seeing people and talking.
But i freelance from home when I have enough of the full time work. I take off a few days and work from home and if the boss tries to give me static, I say I have COVID and take off all 5 days to work from home or do whatever.

Don’t know how people work, sleep, cook all in one house.

Old 02-15-2023, 04:20 PM

16,083 posts, read 6,853,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawk55732 View Post
Why do you think that working from home precludes you from being promoted?
If you have to ask..........................

Old 02-15-2023, 04:21 PM

16,083 posts, read 6,853,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nygeek View Post
Ridiculously out of touch statement.
Not if you are running the show............................

Old 02-15-2023, 05:40 PM

31,910 posts, read 26,989,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MKTwet View Post
NYC’s cost structure needs to get in line with reality just like private businesses. I don’t think NYC government has done any kind of layoff in over a decade and they need to do so just like businesses to stay lean. Pretty soon the reality is gonna kick in that tickets not enough to offset the amount of revenue drop from taxes and other drop in business activities. Eric Adams should be smart enough to start laying off workers instead of trying to find ways to screw taxpayers and accelerate more people leaving.

NYC has always depended on the younger population to move here but they better plan accordingly because in the next 2 decades we will see a big drop in the younger population.
BdeB greatly expanded municipal work force including management and above head count. There aren't enough letters in alphabet for all the new offices, commissions, etc...

Adams isn't far behind either, IIRC.

Each time you see a new office or commission established it means off the bat a commissioner, one or more deputies, and staffing. All are persons who go on city's payroll and are eligible for pensions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: