Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2023, 04:05 AM

16,187 posts, read 6,938,089 times

Advertisements

If Subways and buses are free it can do NYC better (Albany: middle-class, crime)

If you fill the hole with sand NYC will do betterer! Hahahaha.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2023, 06:08 AM

2,948 posts, read 1,277,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MKTwet View Post
Before we begin, I think the MTA already hemorrhages a lot of money they are being bailed out by the Fed and Albany year after year. They can't turn a profit regardless.

If the subways and busses become free, what it will do is reduce the amount of policing necessary to catch people fare beating.

More people would take mass transit than take Hail rides. More low income people would move into NYC and increase the amount of workers and help them with income.

Transportation costs is already a huge expense for many low income workers. I would make NYC mass transit free but increase taxes on local businesses because it helps them the most.

Allowing free mass transit will immensely increase tourism, commuting, and reduce the amount of traffic.

Of course, the reality is that the government do not really care about any of this. Their goal is to create problems in order to create revenue from the problems they create and compound.

The speed camera is a perfect example, it doesn't reduce traffic accidents. They seem to pop up where nobody walks and few accidents occur.

Congestion pricing will simply make Manhattan into a paradise for the rich to enjoy their neighborhoods free of honking traffic and they will still enjoy being driven around even better and willing to pay the $25 surcharges.
Do you really believe that the MTA's cost over-runs and general inefficiency is due to having to police fare-beaters?

This post is the perfect example of how the welfare state in NYC has breeds an ignorant perspective among a large enough portion of the population. Bring in more low income individuals? Raise taxes on local businesses because it will help them?

Literally every single suggestion in your post is laughably wrong and only makes sense if someone indulges in and believes that NYC's current welfare state is "normal".

Old 03-07-2023, 06:50 AM

9,209 posts, read 6,308,981 times
Quote:
The more people that ride the less policing overall because the public would thwart those empty train crimes. But you would need policing regardless. More people that use the mass transit the less crime occurs just like it rarely happens during rush hour.

The problem is now after 7pm the trains are empty and robberies happen. I got attacked at 10pm on a Thursday night because there was lack of ridership.

The reason I took the subway that night was a Uber ride was over $40 from Queens into NYC.

From your prior thread:

Quote:
I was in Jackson Heights to see a relative at the Hospital and went to take a train after 10pm. I suddenly got mobbed by 2-3 people talking crap and looking mentally unstable. I bumped one of the guy away who is shorter than me but he could've had a knife. Another clown came up to me from behind and said some gibberish. A lot of bystanders looked on with alarm and fear in their eyes and I shoved another guy away from me who was rubbing my back like he wanted to strip my backpack away. I walked up the stairs and saw MTA workers standing upstairs cleaning but no cops ever came down. The place was well lit and had cameras. But these clowns started roaming up and down the platform harassing other people. These 2 women had to quickly run up next to me to avoid being harassed.

It seems that the attack was in your head. You got "mobbed" by 2-3 guys? They were "looking mentally unstable"? What does a mentally unstable person look like? Were their eyes glowing orange? Did their eyeballs spin? What is the ICD-10 code for "looking mentally unstable?

A guy shorter than you maybe had a knife? maybe he had phone? maybe he had a taco?

A guy said some gibberish? Maybe you just didn't understand his language?

And the best: a guy was "rubbing my back" with intent to steal your backpack? I'm still trying to get that mental image.

Old 03-07-2023, 10:39 AM

3,370 posts, read 1,755,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lillie767 View Post
From your prior thread:

It seems that the attack was in your head. You got "mobbed" by 2-3 guys? They were "looking mentally unstable"? What does a mentally unstable person look like? Were their eyes glowing orange? Did their eyeballs spin? What is the ICD-10 code for "looking mentally unstable?

A guy shorter than you maybe had a knife? maybe he had phone? maybe he had a taco?

A guy said some gibberish? Maybe you just didn't understand his language?

And the best: a guy was "rubbing my back" with intent to steal your backpack? I'm still trying to get that mental image.
You need to F' off, you will probably scream for help like a wussy. You would never be in my situation because you wouldn't be out late at night.

Old 03-07-2023, 05:23 PM

3,559 posts, read 2,419,192 times
Buses and trains should be free and the money should be managed.

express buses however and railroads should not be free.

Old 03-07-2023, 06:28 PM

32,019 posts, read 27,204,448 times
Buses are essentially free already. People get on and sit themselves down; sometimes driver says "boo", most times not.

Things are worse on SBS where things are pretty much on honor system.

Old 03-07-2023, 07:58 PM

37,307 posts, read 39,650,487 times
Quote:
You need to F' off, you will probably scream for help like a wussy. You would never be in my situation because you wouldn't be out late at night.
You confidently say inaccurate things pretty often and they're sometimes pretty irrational, so I think there's pretty good reason to question your judgment. I just saw a pretty wild one from a few months ago on the Europe forum that aged about as well as milk left in a sauna.

Fare-less transit is an interesting idea though, and maybe it's worth doing. There have been pilots of it on much smaller systems in recent years, but the pandemic sort of interrupted these a bit. There are questions of what are the net costs of operating fare systems and enforcement of that and how would you get a guaranteed revenue stream pulled into the system without fares. There are also questions about how potentially induced demand would affect crowding.

Old 03-07-2023, 09:36 PM

2,474 posts, read 1,243,164 times
Peter Lugers should be free, I would eat better.

Old 03-07-2023, 09:55 PM

37,307 posts, read 39,650,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by under a mountain View Post
Peter Lugers should be free, I would eat better.
Aren't you already obese though? I think it would make things worse for you and wouldn't help anyone else as it's not like Peter Lugers is short on business.

Old 03-07-2023, 10:15 PM

537 posts, read 455,021 times
The MTA already hemorrhages a lot of money they are being bailed out by the Feds year after year. They can't turn a profit regardless. Very True

If the subways and busses become free, it will reduce the amount of policing necessary to catch people fare jumpers. But who's going to police the thugs in the subways if there are fewer police.

More people would take mass transit than take taxi's and Uber. The city needs more high income people and fewer low income people taking advantage of government entitlements.

Transportation costs is already a huge expense for many low income workers. But low income New Yorkers don't have cars and many cannot even drive. Increase taxes and businesses leave town. They're ridiculously taxed already and citizens are leaving in droves.

Allowing free mass transit will immensely increase tourism, commuting, and reduce the amount of traffic. You can forget tourism until the city re-establishes justice, reduces drug users and does something with the homeless. Florida, there they go.

Of course, the reality is that the government do not really care about any of this. The politicians are in it for graft and corruption. Their buddies are contractors and suppliers selling goods and services to the city and paying back PAYOLA to the politicians.

Congestion pricing will turn Manhattan into a paradise for the rich willing to pay $25 tolls. Each to their own. There's nothing about New York City that's a paradise--including Manhattan.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: