Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2023, 11:51 AM

2,319 posts, read 2,170,975 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by njrebel1978 View Post
I am the opposite. I use mostly cash for everything (except OMNY and transit in general) because most places charge more now if you use a CC. Using cash for many things actually saves you money these days and avoids headaches.
I did not know that, in my area, the price is same, regardless payment method. My preference is always credit card, which offer cash back or reward, while I pay off full monthly balance, without paying one cent of interest.

It seems that business owners in your area try to avoid some tax, that could be the reason to go with cash transactions.

However, this is really out of topic. I will use debit card for OMNY, for my parents.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2023, 02:23 PM

6,203 posts, read 3,543,511 times
I have an OMNY account and a reduced fare Metrocard and MTA says they'll send me a reduced fare OMNY card "sometime later this year." In the meantime, I use my Metrocard but also have an OMNY account connected to both a debit and credit card.

You can set up an Omni account using their debit card but if they're over 65 it would be worth it for them to get a reduced fare card. It's a lot cheaper: $1.39 vs $2.75. They can do it by mail, too. They just have to get a passport type picture (most UPS stores can do those), fill out the form and mail it in. I got mine in about 6 weeks.

Old 03-21-2023, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannah5555 View Post
I have an OMNY account and a reduced fare Metrocard and MTA says they'll send me a reduced fare OMNY card "sometime later this year." In the meantime, I use my Metrocard but also have an OMNY account connected to both a debit and credit card.

You can set up an Omni account using their debit card but if they're over 65 it would be worth it for them to get a reduced fare card. It's a lot cheaper: $1.39 vs $2.75. They can do it by mail, too. They just have to get a passport type picture (most UPS stores can do those), fill out the form and mail it in. I got mine in about 6 weeks.
They have Senior reduced fare MetroCard, and I link reduced fare MetroCard to debit card, which is stored in omny account. By doing so, when tapping debit card, it will be half price too, same as using reduced fare MetroCard, that's my understanding.

However, MetroCard will be phased out by 2024, and they need to set up omny account anyway.

Old 03-21-2023, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baike View Post
They have Senior reduced fare MetroCard, and I link reduced fare MetroCard to debit card, which is stored in omny account. By doing so, when tapping debit card, it will be half price too, same as using reduced fare MetroCard, that's my understanding.

However, MetroCard will be phased out by 2024, and they need to set up omny account anyway.
So you linked the metro card to the omny account? Not sure what your question is.

Old 03-21-2023, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannah5555 View Post
So you linked the metro card to the omny account? Not sure what your question is.
The question is in the first post. A lot of conversion in this thread is out of topic.

First, add debit card to OMNY account; then link reduced fare metrocard to the debit card. After those two steps, using debit card is same as using reduced fare metrocard.

The question is: if tapping debit card on OMNY device, will OMNY ask for debit card pin? how does the system work? Since I don't live in NYC and cannot verify. I want to know it before telling my parents.

Old 03-21-2023, 05:27 PM

Quote:
The question is in the first post. A lot of conversion in this thread is out of topic.

First, add debit card to OMNY account; then link reduced fare metrocard to the debit card. After those two steps, using debit card is same as using reduced fare metrocard.

The question is: if tapping debit card on OMNY device, will OMNY ask for debit card pin? how does the system work? Since I don't live in NYC and cannot verify. I want to know it before telling my parents.
Assuming it's a debit card that also functions as a credit card, then yes it should work. I don't know if banks issue debit only cards any more. If it's just a debit card that only works with a pin, then it won't work. There is no mechanism to enter a pin on the Omny pad. Hope that helps.

Old 03-22-2023, 08:58 AM

1,142 posts, read 857,406 times
[quote=Baike;65038572]The question is in the first post. A lot of conversion in this thread is out of topic.

Sometimes you have to go slightly off topic to educate someone on the entire scope of things in order to help them better. For example, Debit Cards are known to be much LESS safe to use than Credit Cards, which is why I touched on that subject to help you out further. But when you do not wish to accept advice from others, then that's fine. But, do not blame others for going off topic when they are trying to help you better.

Old 03-22-2023, 12:10 PM

411 posts, read 228,155 times
Quote:
I don't live in NYC, but I would like to set up OMNY account for my elder parents who live in NYC.

If using debit card in OMNY Wallet Travel Card, how does it work? Will OMNY ask for debit card PIN?

Thanks.
I have OMNY and you connect it to a credit/debit card. I'd recommend:
Buy the OMNY card.
Set up the account. Do a transaction to load the card with an amount of money from the debit/credit card.
Then, either keep an eye on the account on line and load money when needed, or you can set it up to pull a set amount of money when the balance reaches a certain amount.
For example...load $50, set up auto reload of $25 when the balance reaches $10 etc.

The beauty of OMNY is that you can reload it on-line. No machines or stores necessary which is why it's probably ideal for you and your folks as it has the half fare built in.

Old 03-22-2023, 12:26 PM

1,408 posts, read 2,032,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njrebel1978 View Post
Mine was hacked 2 weeks ago from using an ATM. It is happening a lot more these days since the economy sucks and people are getting desperate. But, I really don't know if you can create an OMNY account for someone else. But, like I said, IF they have a tap and go Debit Card already, they should be good to go despite the hack risk. If they wish to register their Debit Card on the OMNY site to avoid possible declines, perhaps walk them through it over the phone by going to the OMNY website. All they need to do is create a login/password and then add the card they wish to use on the account.
If he has all their info then he can, I used to do stuff like that all the time for my dad.

It will not ask for the pin for the debit card. When first adding the card to an OMNY account it may ask for the CVV (the three digit security code) of the card, and/or the zip code.

I use the OMNY card because my commuter benefit card still does not have a chip nor can it be loaded on my phone.

Old 03-22-2023, 06:01 PM

31,897 posts, read 26,938,579 times
Quote:

Welcome to world of CD.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: