Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2023, 05:23 PM

2,319 posts, read 2,170,975 times

Advertisements

I don't live in NYC, but I would like to set up OMNY account for my elder parents who live in NYC.

If using debit card in OMNY Wallet Travel Card, how does it work? Will OMNY ask for debit card PIN?

Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails
OMNY and Debit Card-omny.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2023, 10:37 AM

1,142 posts, read 857,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baike View Post
I don't live in NYC, but I would like to set up OMNY account for my elder parents who live in NYC.

If using debit card in OMNY Wallet Travel Card, how does it work? Will OMNY ask for debit card PIN?

Thanks.
Do your parents have a credit card? All you need is a CC to tap and go. It is good to register the credit cards you plan on using under an OMNY account to avoid any declines. But, no need to bother with a special OMNY card that costs money to obtain, and its never good to use a Debit Card to pay for anything.

Old 03-21-2023, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by njrebel1978 View Post
Do your parents have a credit card? All you need is a CC to tap and go. It is good to register the credit cards you plan on using under an OMNY account to avoid any declines. But, no need to bother with a special OMNY card that costs money to obtain, and its never good to use a Debit Card to pay for anything.
No credit card. Special OMNY card is like pre-filled card, not convenient for them, they will need to re-fill the card, moreover, I cannot order OMNY card for them online.

I don't see a reason why debit card declines.

Can I order OMNY card online?

Old 03-21-2023, 10:50 AM

Quote:
No credit card. Special OMNY card is like pre-filled card, not convenient for them, they will need to re-fill the card, moreover, I cannot order OMNY card for them online.

Can I order OMNY card online?
No. They are only available at select retail businesses across the city. CC is really the best way to go when it comes to OMNY. For the time being, they can still use Metrocards.

Old 03-21-2023, 10:53 AM

Quote:
No. They are only available at select retail businesses across the city. CC is really the best way to go when it comes to OMNY. For the time being, they can still use Metrocards.
You did not tell why debit card could decline, or why debit card is not good. Given than checking account has enough balance to pay the trip.

Old 03-21-2023, 11:03 AM

Quote:
You did not tell why debit card could decline, or why debit card is not good. Given than checking account has enough balance to pay the trip.
If the debit card has a tap and go feature, it may work. However, if a Debit Card is hacked at a subway terminal OR on the OMNY website, someone can wipe out their entire checking account. Debit cards are just more risky than CCs since they are directly connected to a checking acct

Old 03-21-2023, 11:07 AM

Quote:
If the debit card has a tap and go feature, it may work. However, if a Debit Card is hacked at a subway terminal OR on the OMNY website, someone can wipe out their entire checking account. Debit cards are just more risky than CCs
Make sense, but I don't have any concern about being hacked on subway terminal or OMNY website.

OMNY website: it is signed in with gmail account. When anyone tries to sign in google account on a new device or new browser, it will ask for 2-Step verification. I trust Google's security method.

Checking account behind the debit card: The balance of my parents' checking account is always less than $1000 for that checking account. Not a huge loss, and the chance of being hacked is very unlikely. I am managing their online bank account, and they don't know internet. I transfer some money to their checking account regularly, little by little, to help them meet the need, so the account balance is never high, their social security pension is not enough for cover all the spending.

I don't see a way for someone to hack at subway terminal (OMNY scan device).

Old 03-21-2023, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Make sense, but I don't have any concern about being hacked on subway terminal or OMNY website.

OMNY website: it is signed in with gmail account.

Checking account behind the debit card: The balance is always less than $1000 for that checking account. Not a huge loss, and the chance of being hacked is very unlikely.
Mine was hacked 2 weeks ago from using an ATM. It is happening a lot more these days since the economy sucks and people are getting desperate. But, I really don't know if you can create an OMNY account for someone else. But, like I said, IF they have a tap and go Debit Card already, they should be good to go despite the hack risk. If they wish to register their Debit Card on the OMNY site to avoid possible declines, perhaps walk them through it over the phone by going to the OMNY website. All they need to do is create a login/password and then add the card they wish to use on the account.

Old 03-21-2023, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Mine was hacked 2 weeks ago from using an ATM..
Sorry to hear that, if you are not old enough, you can manage your life without using cash or using little cash. I keep a few hundreds of cash in my house, which can last for multiple years. Personally, I rarely use ATM or cash, just using credit card for almost everything, then pay off full monthly balance.

Of course, you can create account for your family members, if they trust you enough. They are my parents, and I am kinda guardian.

Old 03-21-2023, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Sorry to hear that, if you are not old enough, you can manage your life without using cash or using little cash. I keep a few hundreds of cash in my house, which can last for multiple years. Personally, I rarely use ATM or cash, just using credit card for almost everything, then pay off full monthly balance.

Of course, you can create account for your family members, if they trust you enough. They are my parents, and I am kinda guardian.
I am the opposite. I use mostly cash for everything (except OMNY and transit in general) because most places charge more now if you use a CC. Using cash for many things actually saves you money these days and avoids headaches.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: